Forums » Crafting and Gathering

RNG Crafting vs Guarenteed loot

• 1 posts
    October 8, 2018 5:11 AM PDT
    As simple as the title states do you all prefer base item stats with upgrades being based on a roll of a die or do you prefer targeting your BiS items?
    I can see perks for both systems but I absolutely despise the idea of not knowing what I’m going to be getting even though I’m the one crafting it.
    • 1785 posts
    October 8, 2018 8:28 AM PDT

I detest the concept of "BiS" items.  Every stat needs to matter, and if there's not a reason why someone would use that stat on that particular item type, then it needs to not exist as an option.

Example:  If I can make a sword with +INT on it, then there should be a reason someone would want a sword with +INT.  If no one would ever reasonably want a sword with +INT, then they should not be possible to make.

As far as whether the stat outcome is random or prescribed - I agree with you that randomness in the form of results is bad.  Randomness should be in determining overall success/failure - there should always be a chance to fail actions during the process of crafting, so that success isn't guaranteed.  If I succeed, I should get what I was expecting/intending to get - not something different.

This post was edited by Nephele at October 8, 2018 8:29 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    October 8, 2018 8:43 AM PDT

Nephele said:

I detest the concept of "BiS" items.  Every stat needs to matter, and if there's not a reason why someone would use that stat on that particular item type, then it needs to not exist as an option.

Example:  If I can make a sword with +INT on it, then there should be a reason someone would want a sword with +INT.  If no one would ever reasonably want a sword with +INT, then they should not be possible to make.

As far as whether the stat outcome is random or prescribed - I agree with you that randomness in the form of results is bad.  Randomness should be in determining overall success/failure - there should always be a chance to fail actions during the process of crafting, so that success isn't guaranteed.  If I succeed, I should get what I was expecting/intending to get - not something different.

I agree with your point completely.  "BiS" should be a very fluid concept in that there should never be something which is 'the best' for every situation.  It should be a 'this is best for me for this specific situation'.

Crafting having random stats is a bad idea.  Success/Fail is where RNG should play its part, not in the final item created.  After the item is created, if 'imbuing' is a mechanic we might see in Pantheon like we saw in EQ1 with the LDoN augments, then then is where players can, within reason, modify a given item to suite their particular tastes.

• 4 posts
    October 8, 2018 9:58 AM PDT

Personally I'd rather see some variance in the stats, there's a guaranteed base and an additional 10-15% variance that can occur.  Not everyone can have the perfect set of gear.

• 2419 posts
    October 8, 2018 10:40 AM PDT

redferno said:

Personally I'd rather see some variance in the stats, there's a guaranteed base and an additional 10-15% variance that can occur.  Not everyone can have the perfect set of gear.

The only problem with that is the 'guaranteed base' becomes worthless as everyone will only want the +15% items. Crafters will be unable to sell the baseline items.  The +15% will become the expected norm, anything less will be considered substandard.

• 1479 posts
    October 8, 2018 12:03 PM PDT

I think there is already enough RNG in harvesting, gathering rare components and crafting by itself not to add another layer of RNG. It will end up favoring things like "whateverforged" Wow added to keep player fully geared interested in farming the very same content for a super proc of "Megacharged +50 ilvl or beyond".

• 1618 posts
    October 8, 2018 1:14 PM PDT

I like the idea of a base recipe with consistent stats. Then, by upgrading the materials, additional properties can be reliably added.

• 168 posts
    October 8, 2018 5:38 PM PDT

I too think stats should not be random. However, Non-stat concepts such as Quality or Constitution of the gear are not stats and can be made to be RNG variable to add flavor to the game. I have zero problems with the DAoC system of 95%- 100% (called Masterpiece or MP) which was an RNG thing. With the higher quality levels came the ability to hold more stats or the more odds that when Overcharged with gems that they would not explode and kill the crafter (chance of explosion also RNG based).

This and the higher those items the less field repairs needed.

• 1315 posts
    October 8, 2018 8:12 PM PDT

Where I think different quality results can really shine is if a crafter can break down an item they made back into the raw components and try again.  Both the crafting and reverse crafting would need to be time consuming, similar to fighting a monster in combat mode, but that way you could skill up on the same materials multiple times and only keep the results that ended up in the top useable tier.