Forums » News and Announcements

The July Newsletter is Here!

• 523 posts
    July 14, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

snowman301 said:

so who is able to play the game so far because a friend is getting to play in 2 days time and when is it going to open beta pls anyone know off time line here

Only people who are in Pre-Alpha via pledge tiers.  Your friend must be one of them as PE3 apparently just began.  

• 217 posts
    July 14, 2018 9:26 AM PDT

Mathir said: 

I dunno, being able to place that gigantic impassable shield wall and move it around as needed is pretty interesting.  You can bet the top Clerics are going to learn how to manipulate that.  Plus, Clerics get an ultimate pull spell with that lull that makes any mob that isn't directly attacked passive.  That's even better than the pacify line of spells in EQ1.  And then you have the fact they turn into wizards against the undead, which is always fun.  

Pacify read pretty much as the same exact spell as EQs.... mobile shield will probably get removed due to unforseen exploits IMHO. Turn undead isnt anything new either.  So like I said, same same, i love em still. Just no killer neat new stuff.

• 70 posts
    July 14, 2018 5:32 PM PDT

The July newsletter is excellent, love the previews of the classes; they sound very good. I'm looking forward to getting into Alpha...someday :). It's been 4 years I think, since I signed up for it. I know how much work went into EQ, and I expected the same amount of time invested in the creation of RTF. I didn't expect so many 'Pre-" to be stuck in front of the Alpha, tease tease tease. Makes me crazy to get in.

I have wanted to play the Dark Myr since seeing their description, but the Wildings look like great fun also, an amazing spawn area.  My main in EQ was a Necromancer, and alt. an SK. I know I want my first avatar here to be a caster, but the druid looks to be amazing. I tried just about every race/class in EQ and I may end up doing that now. Just for the experience of each of these amazing creations, after the launch. 

• 111 posts
    July 15, 2018 1:33 AM PDT

same here, i really love the previews of the healer classes. sure some spells are the same as from other games (this was to be expected...), but also quite inovative ones.  As i understand, there are a lot more abilities to come for each class. amazing! looking forward how they are going to be implemented. also i like the direction with all those secondary resources. looks already much deeper than eq1 to me.

• 39 posts
    July 21, 2018 6:26 AM PDT

vigilantee13 said:

Pacify read pretty much as the same exact spell as EQs.... mobile shield will probably get removed due to unforseen exploits IMHO. Turn undead isnt anything new either.  So like I said, same same, i love em still. Just no killer neat new stuff.

One of the core concepts of this game is to satisfy old timers like me with that classic feel. As EQ evolved and was patched and expanded the original game was lost (and so was our credit card billing* many of us quit with new worse game). Artworks can be destroyed by the creator in the digital world on accident. Patching and adding content like a city developer, rolling over old houses, offices and streets to bring in the new and satisfy the part of the crowd demanding new and to destroy the old.

One person that is not talked about much around here is Gary Gygax and his mom's basement. Where there was a sandbox, like used for toy soldiers, that helped birth the classing and level system we so much love today. I like it simple and old school. I think games like this should consider multiple Forks at launch (a classic fork, horizontal drilling, content at lower levels then traditional village burning patch and content). This is a preservation concept* (horizontal MMO development using same base game).

The planes of Knowledge is a graveyard and the clicking stones that port you around are symbolic of the death of Classic Everquest. Death by expansion and too many ez cake things and bulldozer content.

The Horizontal Drilling (Forking) concept launches with a classic server that is level capped and content is added sideways and the "normal" servers that are developed like content that moves the starting city out and leaves zones empty etc, let's call that Traditional mode now.

This post was edited by Vash at July 21, 2018 6:38 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    July 21, 2018 10:38 AM PDT

Vash said:

vigilantee13 said:

One of the core concepts of this game is to satisfy old timers like me with that classic feel. As EQ evolved and was patched and expanded the original game was lost (and so was our credit card billing* many of us quit with new worse game). Artworks can be destroyed by the creator in the digital world on accident. Patching and adding content like a city developer, rolling over old houses, offices and streets to bring in the new and satisfy the part of the crowd demanding new and to destroy the old.

One person that is not talked about much around here is Gary Gygax and his mom's basement. Where there was a sandbox, like used for toy soldiers, that helped birth the classing and level system we so much love today. I like it simple and old school. I think games like this should consider multiple Forks at launch (a classic fork, horizontal drilling, content at lower levels then traditional village burning patch and content). This is a preservation concept* (horizontal MMO development using same base game).

The planes of Knowledge is a graveyard and the clicking stones that port you around are symbolic of the death of Classic Everquest. Death by expansion and too many ez cake things and bulldozer content.

The Horizontal Drilling (Forking) concept launches with a classic server that is level capped and content is added sideways and the "normal" servers that are developed like content that moves the starting city out and leaves zones empty etc, let's call that Traditional mode now.

You are the only other poster I have seen mention Gygax (rip), aside from myself. I would venture to say the vast, vast majority of people here have no idea who he was and how these games are almost 100% based on his creations.

Garycon lives on. http://garycon.com/

This post was edited by zewtastic at July 21, 2018 10:43 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    July 21, 2018 11:36 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

You are the only other poster I have seen mention Gygax (rip), aside from myself. I would venture to say the vast, vast majority of people here have no idea who he was and how these games are almost 100% based on his creations.

I would disagree. Between the popularity of critical roll and the settings of pretty much all litrpg books, I tend to think Gygax is alive and well, moreso than ever. 

• 2886 posts
    July 23, 2018 3:23 AM PDT

Maleficia said:

zewtastic said:

I would disagree. Between the popularity of critical roll and the settings of pretty much all litrpg books, I tend to think Gygax is alive and well, moreso than ever. 

Yeah Gygax is a legend. I'd be surprised if any veteran gamer didn't at least know who he was. Just because he's not talked about often doesn't mean he's completely forgotten.

• 945 posts
    July 24, 2018 7:07 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Maleficia said:

zewtastic said:

Yeah Gygax is a legend. I'd be surprised if any veteran gamer didn't at least know who he was. Just because he's not talked about often doesn't mean he's completely forgotten.

I agree... a lot of the EQ fans know that it was modeled after Dungeons and Dragons.  And those people know and will likely remember Gygax.  "You live as long as the last person to remember you."

This post was edited by Darch at July 24, 2018 7:12 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    July 27, 2018 9:21 AM PDT

The shaman get a death walk ability, and can rez from there.  Can they rez themselves like that?  If so that is a huge ability to stand againt party wipe situations.

• 1281 posts
    July 29, 2018 5:07 PM PDT

What I appreciate most about Gary is he designed a lot of flavor into his games. It didn't matter that some classes couldn't level as high as others, or if some were underpowered, or some had penalties. Everything had in world reasons for why it was like that I felt it really made his rpg's feel the most real of anything out there.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at July 29, 2018 5:07 PM PDT