Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon Class Discussion with Creative Director Chris Perkins

• 9115 posts
    April 10, 2018 5:48 PM PDT

Thanks to @BazgrimTV for this Pantheon Class Discussion with Creative Director @Joppa_VR (Chris Perkins) #PRF #PantheonMMO #MMO #MMORPG #communitymatters

https://youtu.be/4vebn1AN6KY

• 1618 posts
    April 10, 2018 6:12 PM PDT

Great video, especially the Dire Lord info.

• 422 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:05 PM PDT

The short, more detailed comments about the Ranger have me really looking forward to the game.

The class sounds amazing.

• 287 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:10 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thanks to @BazgrimTV for this Pantheon Class Discussion with Creative Director @Joppa_VR (Chris Perkins) #PRF #PantheonMMO #MMO #MMORPG #communitymatters

The pally is sounding great!

• 15 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:35 PM PDT

So can these Epic abilities just be an upgraded tier of a previous ability? I will use a Rogue Backstab for example, could this end game epic ability turn it into a Double Backstab or maybe a Backstab that gains a stun chance? Or would these abilities just be a completely new skill/ability? Could be a nice way of upgrading abilities outside of the standard level up/skill up.

This post was edited by Snowman84 at April 10, 2018 7:36 PM PDT
    • 85 posts
    April 10, 2018 7:41 PM PDT

Good info, thanks for every bit of it.

This post was edited by Kurgon999 at April 10, 2018 7:42 PM PDT
    • 14 posts
    April 10, 2018 10:40 PM PDT

Great video. I am not usually one for alts, but those class descriptions had me filled with temptation. Never has the shaman sounded so cool to me. The idea the they reach through time to pull strengths or weaknesses is such a cool way to look at a classes abilities.

• 4 posts
    April 10, 2018 11:56 PM PDT

Bazgrim did a great job asking questions. I really love to hear about the plan to keep all classes viable in their area types. All tanks and healers should feel needed when it comes to groups or raids. One of the things that always bothered me about the early stages of EQ was how Warriors were the go to main tanks for raiding. Clerics were THE healers. Nothing wrong with being the best at healing, but it would be nice to not get laughed at if you wanted to play a Druid or Shaman and main heal some end game grouping content. 

• 2756 posts
    April 11, 2018 3:09 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thanks @Bazgrim for that vid. I made notes as I watched. In case anyone want a very brief summary. Joppa's words (often paraphrased): -

Tank:
    Warrior. Paladin. Dire Lord

Healer:
    Cleric. Druid. Shaman

DPS:
    Wizard. Summoner. Rogue. Monk. Ranger. Necromancer?

Crowd Control:
    Enchanter. Bard

Soft Announcement: I feel confident from my perspective that we will be able to have the Bard in by launch

Committed to class interdependence ... strong identity

Iconic Ability ... not epic ... flavour/unique ... example monk Feign Death

Griefing: That will quickly become a CS issue. We will be keeping an eye on and will not tolerate

I'm expecting to see a lot of self... policing might not be the right word... but players will have to eat the consequences of their actions

Epic Ability: I'm reminded of ... The Force Awaken's [when Rey meets Luke Skywalker on Ahch-To] There will be masters that can be convinced (via an epic quest) to teach very powerful abilities/skills. Not only at the highest tier. Say there are 5 per class (number pulled out of hat).

We want each of the healers to be able to do the job. They each have fortes. Cleric: Single heal prowess. Highest single-target throughput. Moderate HoT, buff, etc. Shaman: Masters of multiple HoT. Not so good single target. Druid: Challenging finding their spot. Indirect healer. All: Ressurrect with Pros and Cons for each.

Shaman: Cannibalise? Maybe... Ancestral (mystical) power. Drawing power or weakness from the traits of the lineage of the target.

Tank: Dual wield shields? Not in the cards... All three classes will be able to tank effectively.

Dire Lord: Edged weaponary. They are trying to cause as much blood letting as possible. Dual wield or two-hander. Different bonuses depending on which. Two-hander even while tanking.

Paladin: Were once clerics. The Revenant are a significant player in the world. Paladins have laid down the cleric tome and taken up the sword to take on The Revenant. Righteous Vengence. They will be devestating against undead (with obvious if temporal balance in tank/heal ability).

Summoner: Similar to EQ2 Magician? Fair assumption, but Summoner will have a greater, real-time, reactionary ability to reach into a dimensional pocket and pull out something useful. Awesome, cool pets. Deal lots of damage...

Wizard: No pets. Damage dealing is raw devastation. I don't want to see wizards stading up, blowing a third of the mob's health off then sitting down the rest of the fight. Able to still contribute damage while recuperating mana. Pre-Alpha is testing this. Feedback has been good. Wizard feels more involved than traditionally. Raw damage but with control. More mobility: Momentum may play a role in damage: Really get behind that fireball to do more damage!

Binding: Don't have a satisfying answer. Related to player-based teleportation decisions. Streams aren't representative of ability to respawn. Something similar to traditional binding system.

Traps: There will be traps. Rogues can find some (mechanical). Rogues might struggle with arcane traps. Rangers might find others (outdoor)

Rogue: Mixture of Assassin and Trickster. Deadly from the shadows but playful. Throwing vials. Setting traps.

Ranger: Mixture of ranged and melee. War Archer. Not standing back for the duration of fights. Goal is to get in close and do devestating melee damage. Bow is vital to disengage and re-engage. Situational opportunity. Tactical/burst. Animal affinity also helping their damage and control.

Necromancer: Wanting to get it in, but depends on how quickly the others go.

This post was edited by disposalist at April 11, 2018 3:22 AM PDT
    • 287 posts
    April 11, 2018 8:53 AM PDT
    ^ great summary.
    • 2886 posts
    April 11, 2018 8:56 AM PDT

Yeah nice summary disposalist. There's something cool about starting off doing summaries here and now seeing other people summarizing my vids :)

• 2756 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:25 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Yeah nice summary disposalist. There's something cool about starting off doing summaries here and now seeing other people summarizing my vids :)

I just started typing thinking there would be one or two things I might want to discuss in the forums and then... There was a ton of stuff! ;^)

I wish I could have been there - very jelly.  I know you're loving it, but thanks for being there anyway hehe.

• 2756 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:29 AM PDT

Melingo said:

Bazgrim did a great job asking questions. I really love to hear about the plan to keep all classes viable in their area types. All tanks and healers should feel needed when it comes to groups or raids. One of the things that always bothered me about the early stages of EQ was how Warriors were the go to main tanks for raiding. Clerics were THE healers. Nothing wrong with being the best at healing, but it would be nice to not get laughed at if you wanted to play a Druid or Shaman and main heal some end game grouping content. 

Yeah I was glad to hear that too. You did ask good Qs Baz.

Also good to hear you voice 'the hybrid concerns' similarly. Hybrids like Paladin and Ranger often *do* get to be bad at everything.

It's no surprise, but very good to hear the attitude that Joppa (and obviously the other devs) have.  They truly seem to have an excellent handle on how to produce a traditional MMORPG but improve where there were 'issues'.

• 2756 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:50 AM PDT

Oo, one bit of 'constructive criticism' Bazza: There were 'issues' with those hand-hend mics hehe.

For that kind of static situations where you are going to 'mix' it later anyway, I've had great sucess with lapel mics.

Even the cheap ones have excellent sound quality and you can just plug them into a cheap old smartphone or dedicated voice recorder and slip them into your (and the subject's) pocket.

Having said that, you could do it silent with subtitles and I'd be watching ;^) Was great stuff. The variety of stuff in your car and parking lot and on the street is great fun! Very watchable.

• 168 posts
    April 11, 2018 10:38 AM PDT

I thought the comments (lack of comments actually) on how the druid heal mechanics functioned were interesting. The evasive non-answer let my imagination roll and I envisioned druids going the way of the RunePriest in Warhammer Online (that would be awesome). Basically a melee healer that had to hit and get hit to obtain heal powers.

• 35 posts
    April 11, 2018 10:54 AM PDT

Nice interview, Baz!  Lots of good information.

Also, a very big thank you to Joppa to take the time and answer Baz's questions and get more info out to us future Terminus troublemakers.

Keep up the good work!

• 1281 posts
    April 11, 2018 12:07 PM PDT

Awesomesauce. Thanks!

• 248 posts
    April 11, 2018 1:16 PM PDT

Really looking forward to hearing more about the hybrids.
    Thank you for the interviwe!

Revjak said:

Terminus troublemakers

Now theres a fun guild name xD

-sorte.

• 523 posts
    April 11, 2018 1:49 PM PDT

If control is really going to be a key part of the game, and it should, they need to have at least three classes capable of filling that role.  Chanter and Bard is not going to cut it.  Could easily see them make the Necro a control oriented class as well.

• 11 posts
    April 11, 2018 2:18 PM PDT

They didn't mention enchanters. I like when they were talking about the Paladin and their avenging/tragic background and their devasting abilities vs undead....please please please make skellies sound like EQ skellies....I miss that insane skelly laugh!

This post was edited by Cerendipity at April 11, 2018 2:57 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    April 11, 2018 2:18 PM PDT

Mathir said:

If control is really going to be a key part of the game, and it should, they need to have at least three classes capable of filling that role.  Chanter and Bard is not going to cut it.  Could easily see them make the Necro a control oriented class as well.

We used to old school root park when other CC wasn't around.

• 287 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:49 PM PDT

Mathir said:

Any competent player playing a rooting class can act as crowd control.  Root parking is a great CC tactic.  There should be other options to not having an enchanter.  Perhaps , bringing more off tanks along. Or designong a more DPS based group.  I look fwd to thinking outside the tradition must have classes.  I use to make all pet groups in EQ, or all wizard groups.  Or the undesirables groups of rangers, necros, and wizards and had a blast experiencing this way.  If we must have a chanter or bard to progress, that would be a bad thing.  Chanters arent a very popular class.  

This post was edited by bryanleo9 at April 11, 2018 9:49 PM PDT
    • 287 posts
    April 11, 2018 9:50 PM PDT

Dashed said:

I thought the comments (lack of comments actually) on how the druid heal mechanics functioned were interesting. The evasive non-answer let my imagination roll and I envisioned druids going the way of the RunePriest in Warhammer Online (that would be awesome). Basically a melee healer that had to hit and get hit to obtain heal powers.

I see them being like the blood mage in Vanguard.....nuke target to heal group.

• 4 posts
    April 11, 2018 10:43 PM PDT

Mathir said:

Maybe the Druid will fill some major rolls in CC with some sort of root spell. Maybe Entangling roots come out of the ground surrounding the mob preventing it from physical action (Druid fantasy Mez). It sounded like Druids are going to be like a Discipline Priest in WoW with the "non direct healing" comment. Maybe besides just having good damage shield buffs they will have spells similar to some of the EQ cleric spells. If i remember they had buffs and debuffs that did healing to players if the mob was attacking you or if you were attacking the mob. 

• 523 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:48 AM PDT

bryanleo9 said:

Dashed said:

I see them being like the blood mage in Vanguard.....nuke target to heal group.

Agreed.  Rift's druid, the Choloromancer is what I am expecting, pretty much a straight copy.  Which is fine by me, that was the best class in Rift.  

But....could also be reactive healing where they place a spore (debuff) on mob and any time someone hits it, they get healed a bit.  I think EQ2 did that with the Cleric.  Still could go in several directions.