Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Fishing lures

• 77 posts
    February 3, 2018 3:20 PM PST

Was just rereading the January newsletter today and I thought If we are going to have fishing, perhaps we could have craftable lures. They could be made from various materials wood, metal, animal feathers etc, and be something that could break or get jagged in the water. It would add more finite items to the game that people craft and sell to those who want to catch all kinds of fish and thus need to rely on others to buy all the different kinds of lures. It may also increase the value of fish in the game for those seeking it as a way to get an income from fishing. From the MMO's I've played you just get better rods and go fish in different areas, why not make it a little more intuitive by making the angler consider what the best baits/lures are for the different species in the game?

Edit: Another thought, perhaps with enough fish you can make a burley bucket? :D

This post was edited by Vaeruun at February 3, 2018 3:22 PM PST
    • 120 posts
    February 4, 2018 2:58 PM PST

I like this idea. It would add depth to fishing. I also like the idea of rare lures required to catch rare fish. Maybe the best lures require hard to get crafting supplies like dragon scales.

• 42 posts
    February 4, 2018 5:40 PM PST

Xbachs said:

I like this idea. It would add depth to fishing. I also like the idea of rare lures required to catch rare fish. Maybe the best lures require hard to get crafting supplies like dragon scales.

I was never a huge fan of fishing only because there was little to no value in it, but stuff like that would definitely make me reconsider

• 26 posts
    February 4, 2018 9:49 PM PST

Ooooooh +1 for this idea!

I liked fishing, it was relaxing. It would be nice to have a little more depth to it though than just "Hold rod. Cast line. Reel in Tattered Sandals"

It'll also make farming for materials for crafting less RNG if you only need a specific type of fish that's more likely to be drawn in by a particular lure 

• 77 posts
    February 4, 2018 10:45 PM PST

The great part about this is that multiple professions could be involved in making these, could add some value to those trades that perhaps VR feel lacking. Also think about the possibilities involved in making lures for the Mana and lava pools, or the ichor, would require rare and other special materials to make such lures to catch fish in these areas and in turn they would give you more mats to make other special items, perhaps for perishable buffs such as potions and/or acclimation related items, eg. got a lava eel from the lava and use it's fiery blood to make some form of heat acclimation vial. Either way it certainly opens up new options for a profession generally considered in games as a means to catching and cooking food.

Or maybe you find a fish that when processed into a poison alters AI behaviour patterns! A little off tangent I know, but just popped into my head. Would be amusing to poison a guard and they become paralyzed or delusional and start attacking other guards or greeting the players (who are usually their enemies) as long lost friends.

This post was edited by Vaeruun at February 4, 2018 10:46 PM PST
    • 132 posts
    February 5, 2018 9:51 AM PST

I really like the idea of crafting fishing poles,lures and different types of fishing line.

• 174 posts