Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Name the Epic recipes

• 11 posts
    January 21, 2018 9:42 PM PST
    Normally I'm not all that into crafting but, I was thinking about it the other day and why not have some recipes that are either special and not named. Have the first person to discover how to make them get the opportunity to name them. An unnamed epic recipe if you will, and by figuring out the recipe of (which very little hints will be given). The player who figures the recipe out is given the opportunity to name the item going forward.

What do you think?

This idea may have already been proposed, if it has I apologize. It was something I thought of and something that we could discuss and maybe we can get VR to implement.
    • 105 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:45 AM PST

It's a cool idea though you would end up with awesome weapons being named "Kipling's Throbbing Gristle" or something similar...

• 11 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:50 AM PST
    I'm sure the names would have to be considered within reason nothing too crazy or anything like that. It would still be an interesting way to include the people making the game with the people playing the game. They talk a lot about being social in the game and grouping with other players. MMOs are all about being social. Why not do something new and innovative for the game? Obviously not a whole lot of recipes or whole lot of items but a few special items here for a few special people that figure out something complex would be really cool.
    • 1785 posts
    January 22, 2018 8:55 AM PST

Naming the recipe seems like a neat concept but I feel like they'd all be found and named in very short order, so while it would be great for the people who came first, it wouldn't do anything for the people who came after.

I think what I would prefer (thinking long-term here) is:

1) A Maker's Mark on everything (Made by: XXXXXXX)

2) For "epic" quality recipes, the name of the resulting item is randomly generated (Ayrendahl, Sword of the Heavens)

This way we get "uniquely" named items and the crafters who made them get credit for doing so (and trust me, people will look), but the names stay in-character and relatively unique over time.

• 557 posts
    January 22, 2018 9:15 AM PST

Yes, I think game generated names would be safer.   It's much harder to parse/filter names than one might think.

For further details, I'll refer you to my legal counsel,  Dewey, Cheatum and Howe.

• 18 posts
    January 25, 2018 9:26 AM PST

Nephele said:

1) A Maker's Mark on everything (Made by: XXXXXXX)

I have to say that this was one of the things that i loved the most in vanguard.  Going back to my early days in EQ you had to get your name out as a crafter by word of mouth and advertising in the EC tunnel in /auction or /ooc.  I found a sense of pride whenever I would recieve a tell from a random person saying something along the lines of "hey my friend soandso got a bow from you in the tunnel and reccommended you.  Any chance you could make me a bow?"  I did a lot of bows made to order back then, traveling from kelethin all the way to EC via the boat and running.  So having my name out there as a crafter was a very cool and unique thing to me since that was my first MMORPG.  It certainly gave you a sense of community and made me feel involved with the community within the game.  A unique thing to MMOs and i very much enjoyed it.

Fast forward to Vanguard and the first time i made something and saw the maker's mark on the item i was floored.  It was like being a painter and putting your signature on the piece.  Very cool and the fact that it stayed on the item so others would know who made it was free advertising! 

I'm sure many of us here in this forum share the sense of accomplishment in crafting, else we wouldn't be hanging around in this forum so much.  I do hope the community feel is here in Pantheon as the devs are pushing for.  I would love to have that sense back that has been missing in other games, the optimisim level is very high

• 2752 posts
    January 25, 2018 11:57 AM PST

Makers Mark is enough I think. Giving players room to name items would get out of hand very quickly and policing such a thing too time consuming, the filters are always beaten. On top of that, a bunch of one weapon floating around but under the guise of many different names isn't congruent with their goal:

"Our desire to bring back the value and personality of items drives our item design. This means that the frequency of upgrades will be slower and when you do get a new piece of gear not only will the experience be memorable but so will the item. We want you to collect your items and be able to remember their names. When you get that epic item or rare drop after an incredible dungeon crawl, we want you to be in awe of what you have accomplished and the reward that came from it. Items will be memorable, deserved, cherished, and desired."

• 25 posts
    January 27, 2018 5:32 AM PST

Yeah, I think naming items would be a bit too much. It would be nice, however, if a player crafted item said "made by x"