Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Landscape Bonuses, Maybe?

• 73 posts
    December 30, 2017 7:10 PM PST

In some strategic RPGs especially turn-based ones there can be an ATK or DEF bonus for holding a position that's elevated over your enemy. This is especially true for ranged attacks. As far as I have seen are there any MMO's that use this mechanism? I'm not sure if this would be something too hard to implement.

I think this could be a really nice feature and require the group to pre-plan attacks. Getting your Ranger/Wizard on high ground so they can unleash hell but this also puts them in a vulnerable spot away from the group. This could even be used for the Tank to hold the top of a hill or a staircase.

Having a high ground bonus would also make a group of explorers think twice approaching defensive wall or tower that's lined with enemy archers.

• 1281 posts
    December 30, 2017 7:36 PM PST

Interesting concept.  I don't hate it.

• 57 posts
    December 30, 2017 8:44 PM PST
    I like this idea, always enjoyed taking advantage of it in other games that had the mechanics. Divinity Original Sin comes to mind, even Warhammer iirc...
    I do not hate it either! Much approved
    • 1095 posts
    December 31, 2017 6:27 AM PST

And require the artists to make a hill top by each camp, eh. The idea may be good for other types of games but I dont see it fitting into an MMO.

This post was edited by Aich at December 31, 2017 6:27 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    December 31, 2017 7:35 AM PST

Zeem said:

And require the artists to make a hill top by each camp, eh. The idea may be good for other types of games but I dont see it fitting into an MMO.

No, not every camp needs to have a "hill top" option.  It would be completely area specific.  Sometimes you just can't get a tactical landscape advantage.  It's the same way in the real world.  Sometimes you just have to work with what you're given.

I like this because you'd have to think tactiocs.  It wouldn't ber just a button-mash fest.  It would involve strategy and though.  Much like will aready be needed for weapon and gear choices.  As it is now, specific weapon types will be less effective against certain mobs.  As an example, a piercing weapon will do less damage against a non-flesh mob.  You need a club or slashing weapon for maximum effectiveness.  You need certain resist gear, spells, or potions for certain areas due to things like heat, cold, and pressure.  I see this as an expansion of that concept.

• 557 posts
    December 31, 2017 7:52 AM PST

I could see this in a PVP environment for certain.

It would certainly work for outdoor zones and perhaps encounters where a mob is on a ledge above an open cavern, etc...  

In a PVE game, I think the mobs should have the same advantage.  Maybe step one is get the dragon off the hill to reduce his AOE range.  Step two might be to move your ranged DPS party members on the hill.  In indoor encounters and since Vanguard has climbing as a mechanic, you might want to get those archers and casters up onto ledges before your puller engages.  Need to get the added range or whatever bonuses are derived from such a perch.

• 1095 posts
    December 31, 2017 8:03 AM PST

I can see the tinkers making portable trampolines for all the rangers to get max dps.

• 646 posts
    December 31, 2017 8:09 AM PST

This somewhat existed in games anyway but not by design.

Using my line-of-sight mage spells I would always climbu up somewhere -especially important as a gnome.

Similarly, I was always trying to climb on something to give the mobs pathing trouble and give me an advantage.

• 1281 posts
    December 31, 2017 8:10 AM PST

Zeem said:

I can see the tinkers making portable trampolines for all the rangers to get max dps.

You're assuming that trampoline is a thing in the game.

• 186 posts
    December 31, 2017 6:25 PM PST
    Great idea, would work in the opposite too. Mobs or NPCs could get the high ground and reek havoc. Poor Anakin... He never had a chance