Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A Zone Where You Get Shrunk!

• 60 posts
    December 3, 2017 8:20 PM PST

On Discord, we discussed a zone reminiscent from “Honey I Shrunk the Kids.”

Imagine this: You are on a quest to stop a tiny goblin wizard named Gagremlinal who is causing mischief in the city. The wizard has turned harmless farm animals into blue goblins. He has stolen food from the city surplus and captured the eldest daughter, a blonde beauty, of the innkeeper. You chase the wizard, slay his minion, and corner him in his house. He slams his staff and the entire party is blinded. When they come to, the party has been shrunk to the size of insects, and must venture through the house to get back to their normal size.

As the party makes their way through the dungeon, they are faces with terrors. Once harmless ants, mice, spiders, and other insects now become fearsome monstrosities. The party must venture on top of furniture, fireplaces, a chess board, mice holes, and other areas throughout the house. Eventually, they catch up with the tiny goblin wizard, who is now huge, and must slay him to rescue the daughter and become normal sized.

• 207 posts
    December 3, 2017 9:17 PM PST

IDK about being shrunk, but I'd love a mission where I'm fighting something larger than life....Like having to mount a huge behemoth, and having to target key weak points on it(doubt that would work in this game though lol)

• 334 posts
    December 5, 2017 6:10 AM PST

Sounds a bit like how an EQ1 raid would be

• 1281 posts
    December 5, 2017 7:31 AM PST

Didn't they do something similar to this in the Plane of Mischief in EQ1?

• 60 posts
    December 5, 2017 8:17 AM PST

Sort of but not really.  Plane of Mischief had some interesting ideas.  The zone entrance was a tiny castle in the water in Velious.  When you clicked it, you entered the zone, but the zone was normal size.  Inside the castle were tiny monsters (puppets) of various gods.  They did have one interesting area where the player was on the wall rather than the ground. 

My idea is different in that in the zone, landmarks that used to be small (books, chairs, tables, etc.) are now huge, as are the once harmless denizens. 

I would hope that the zone would not be a raid zone for max level.

• 844 posts
    December 5, 2017 8:29 AM PST

What was that EQ zone that had no oxygen(not underwater)? And you had to have EB to travel thru it, and get to the dungeon entrance.

• 98 posts
    December 5, 2017 8:57 AM PST

Actually, Plane of Mischief had something called Alice in Wonderland, which was a series of a set of rooms that started off tiny but got progressively larger (along with the mobs in there) until you were running through rooms and opening doors larger than what even giants would need.

There were also sideways and upside down rooms, a hedge maze, and a ton of other weird and wacky things.

• 1281 posts
    December 5, 2017 9:01 AM PST

sorn said:

Actually, Plane of Mischief had something called Alice in Wonderland, which was a series of a set of rooms that started off tiny but got progressively larger (along with the mobs in there) until you were running through rooms and opening doors larger than what even giants would need.

There were also sideways and upside down rooms, a hedge maze, and a ton of other weird and wacky things.

That's the onne that I recalled.  How things got bigger and bigger.

• 60 posts
    December 5, 2017 9:52 AM PST

zewtastic said:

What was that EQ zone that had no oxygen(not underwater)? And you had to have EB to travel thru it, and get to the dungeon entrance.

There were two of them.  You are probably thinking of Kedge Keep.  The other one, introduced later, was Veksar.  Those zones were... interesting... because of the way agro worked.  Monster agro was usually two dimensional; however, you could move in the zone three dimensionally.  That resulted in some pretty severe trains if you were not careful.

• 28 posts
    December 5, 2017 12:06 PM PST

zewtastic said:

I believe you’re referencing The Grey in Shadows of Luclin. Outdoor zone which led to Ssra Temple and required enduring breath.

• 2138 posts
    December 5, 2017 1:17 PM PST

I am associating what would make this cool with the qeynos badge of honor queest where you had to order around and NPC " an interrogator"  like a pet in public. the cool factor was people seeing you do it and wondering what was going on, in some cases following you ( and thankfully unable to gank the spawned mobs).

yes it was a bit of showing off and allowed some roleplay " what are you doing!" I am very busy- excuse me!, I am investigating corruption within the city, move along " - heh while they tagged along and eavesdropped.

So yeah, shrink them up but have me walk into a tavern and sit down, and see this strange small reflection of a flash on the wall near the floor and when I look down to investigate, have me see a group of tiny adventurers struggling against a Mouse. To me the mouse would look cute as normal but to them, it would look fierce and menacing. I can still talk to you (perhaps it appears as a shout- lol unless I whisper where you can then understand me) give buffs, maybe throw a heal , but unable to otherwise interfere.

An instance in plain sight, if you will.

This post was edited by Manouk at December 5, 2017 1:18 PM PST
    • 98 posts
    December 5, 2017 1:54 PM PST

Manouk said:

I am associating what would make this cool with the qeynos badge of honor queest where you had to order around and NPC " an interrogator"  like a pet in public. the cool factor was people seeing you do it and wondering what was going on, in some cases following you ( and thankfully unable to gank the spawned mobs).

yes it was a bit of showing off and allowed some roleplay " what are you doing!" I am very busy- excuse me!, I am investigating corruption within the city, move along " - heh while they tagged along and eavesdropped.

So yeah, shrink them up but have me walk into a tavern and sit down, and see this strange small reflection of a flash on the wall near the floor and when I look down to investigate, have me see a group of tiny adventurers struggling against a Mouse. To me the mouse would look cute as normal but to them, it would look fierce and menacing. I can still talk to you (perhaps it appears as a shout- lol unless I whisper where you can then understand me) give buffs, maybe throw a heal , but unable to otherwise interfere.

An instance in plain sight, if you will.

This reminds me of the chicken mini-game in LotRO. Basically you get put into a live instance as a level something chicken (super low level), where other players can see you and you can see other players, but you can't communicate or help. There are strategies for players gone chicken where they have to follow a non-chicken player for safety when trying to get through dangerous zones, and as a non-chicken you're not supposed to turn around and stare too much because if mobs spawn while you're doing that, it would be very dangerous for the chicken.

And for those unfamiliar with this part of LotRO, yes, it IS as hilarious as it sounds. You get powers like Seek The Worm ("Nothing can escape your searching gaze. So long as it is a worm."), Possum Impersonation (chicken feign death), Fowl Fleetness ("A burst of speed can make the difference between freedom and flattened."), and others. You have to take your level 1-5 chicken and run them through high level zones with stealthy enemies without dying, often within a time limit. You can also talk to certain animals and other chickens, but not players or humanoids.

• 3016 posts
    December 6, 2017 6:53 PM PST

Taliche said:

zewtastic said:

I believe you’re referencing The Grey in Shadows of Luclin. Outdoor zone which led to Ssra Temple and required enduring breath.

Or you could cheat and use a Gnome made breathing device,  its ugly and covers your face, but allowed you to breathe in the Grey.  I still have that device on my high elf in EQ,  name of it escapes me. :)

Cana

• 60 posts
    December 6, 2017 7:07 PM PST
    • 2138 posts
    December 7, 2017 6:33 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Taliche said:

zewtastic said:

Or you could cheat and use a Gnome made breathing device,  its ugly and covers your face, but allowed you to breathe in the Grey.  I still have that device on my high elf in EQ,  name of it escapes me. :)

Cana

For a second I got an image of you taking a gnome and sucking the air out of its lungs to breathe as you crossed the grey. *shudder*

• 3016 posts
    December 9, 2017 11:50 AM PST

Manouk said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Taliche said:

zewtastic said:

Cana

For a second I got an image of you taking a gnome and sucking the air out of its lungs to breathe as you crossed the grey. *shudder*

Hahaha no its a metal device made by Gnome crafters..that you can wear on your face like a gas mask.  :P

• 1281 posts
    December 9, 2017 12:02 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Manouk said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Taliche said:

zewtastic said:

Cana

Hahaha no its a metal device made by Gnome crafters..that you can wear on your face like a gas mask.  :P

I would prefer to keep the tinkered items to a minimum "technology-wise".  WoW pretty much killed the idea of 'Gnomish Tinkering' for me with their motorcycles, guns, etc.

• 3016 posts
    December 9, 2017 12:18 PM PST

The Rebreather was/is a gnome tinkered device in Everquest,  Kalok..that's all we're saying,  not pushing for that in Pantheon.   And hopefully Pantheon is its own unique entity...anything that Wow does or doesn't do...shouldn't be an influence in Pantheon ..imho. 

Cana

• 1281 posts
    December 9, 2017 12:24 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

The Rebreather was/is a gnome tinkered device in Everquest,  Kalok..that's all we're saying,  not pushing for that in Pantheon.   And hopefully Pantheon is its own unique entity...anything that Wow does or doesn't do...shouldn't be an influence in Pantheon ..imho. 

Cana

I know it was an item in Everquest.  I also know you're not pushing for them in Pantheon.  I was merely stating my thoughts on tinkered items.  WoW "jumped the shark" on tinkered items.