Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Why did you log back in?

• 753 posts
    November 24, 2017 10:37 PM PST

The day AFTER the game you were playing made you angry enough to want to throw your monitor, your keyboard, or both.  The day AFTER the game you were playing left you utterly drained and depressed because you are sure you will NEVER get whatever it is you are trying to get.

On THAT day... the day AFTER all that bad happened to you...

Why did you log back in?

(The purpose here is to see whether or not there is similarity of reason that we all choose to log back in after bad happens... because I suspect that in Pantheon, from time to time bad WILL happen)

This post was edited by Wandidar at November 24, 2017 10:37 PM PST
    • 668 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:12 AM PST

I get as intense as anyone, and for me, it is the desire to progress and feel the progression of my character.  

I would imagine if I were that close to obtaining something and not getting it made me feel that way, it would have to be because we as a group or guild made a silly mistake and cost the opportunity for that loot.  It would also probably be a highly contested or competitive item as well, so when your chance comes, you need to take advantage of the situation and have a chance for that loot.  A mistake that could cost your chance would really get to me.

I would come back because the world is HUGE and a TON to do and my mind would be settled, focused on what we need to do next to get the same chance.  Have to keep trying, progressing, working as a team / guild / family.

• 15 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:42 AM PST

I think it depends if the game is actually fun.

We can all have a "rage quit" moment but if the game is actually enjoyable and has a good community then whatever frustrations it might cause are just temporary. You take a break, dust yourself off and get back to it because you love it!

• 98 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:45 AM PST

As much as I would like to pick a game mechanic I cannot.

In the past when I have spat my dummy out I returned to the friends I made. I logged back in for two reasons true friends ground me and "True friends stab you in the front." I value honesty.

VR teams central principle of community is the most appealing aspect for me. I never throw a friend under the bus, never discard a friend, am always there for a friend, in return my friends treat me the same. So yeah I may have a tantrum but never enough to stop me returning.

My go-to healer for the past 15 years is a Cleric I met while playing EQ. Who IRL is now a true friend, I keep in touch with people I met in MMO's. They remind of times past in games, like when I was CC in WoW (Early WoW) and the tank asked me to sap a mob I ran over to the target then heard "Don't you want to stealth?" and before I could vanish the hunter in the group had tabbed targetted the wrong pack and sent his pet in. We died but we all laughed about it.

This goes back to what Brad said in that shared adventures have a power. I don't understand the solo mentality.

So, in a nutshell, I return for #community matters.

I think I may have missed the point 8))

• 470 posts
    November 25, 2017 2:45 AM PST

Wandidar said:

The day AFTER the game you were playing made you angry enough to want to throw your monitor, your keyboard, or both.  The day AFTER the game you were playing left you utterly drained and depressed because you are sure you will NEVER get whatever it is you are trying to get.

On THAT day... the day AFTER all that bad happened to you...

Why did you log back in?

(The purpose here is to see whether or not there is similarity of reason that we all choose to log back in after bad happens... because I suspect that in Pantheon, from time to time bad WILL happen)

If there was ever an MMO like that it was probably EverQuest. But I never really got mad and logged out. I got vindictive and probably a bit childish. lol Example: Die to Dry Bones in North Ro.

Damn skeleton. I'll kill him.

~Die again~

You got lucky bones, but this time you die...again.

~Die again~

That's it you pile of marrow. I'm pulling you apart bone by bone.

~Die again thanks to an add and lose a level~

Son of a B%$#@!!

~Kill Him~

Take that you worthless pile of excrement. Who is laughing now?! HAHAHA! (Note: Dry Bones Skeletons had a maniacal laughter while in combat.)

~Clocked by a Dry Bones respawn while gloating~

*U$@!!!!!

Good times. :) EverQuest had just the right amount of fun mixed with rage-inducing incidents to make you desire payback. Sounds funny to say that about a game, but EQ may have well been an early experiment in Middle-Earth Shadow oof Mordor/War's Nemesis system. :p Speaking of which, that would be a neat addition to an MMO.

This post was edited by Kratuk at November 25, 2017 2:50 AM PST
    • 278 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:32 AM PST

One simple answear for my 7 years of EQ2  MY GUILD and probably the reason i played for 7 years too.

This post was edited by Grizzly at November 25, 2017 4:36 AM PST
    • 470 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:40 AM PST

Grizzly said:

One simple answear for my 7 years of EQ2  MY GUILD and probably the reason i played for 7 years too.

Certainly a great answer. Made a lot of good friends in many MMOs over the years, many of which have been gaming together for well over a decade or more.

• 781 posts
    November 25, 2017 6:06 AM PST

Grizzly said:

Totally agree with ya @Grizzly !  The only reason I have logged back into a game that I have sworn I will never play again is for the Guild.  I had to move my own wants to the side and remember it is always about the Guild :) Which doesn't mean I play sluggishly but I jump back in and go to work figuring out other ways to make things happen, always giving that +100 ! :) 

• 1404 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:05 AM PST

I can only recall one time leaving in total despair, never in anger with a rage quit, no matter how immersive it is still only a game, i try to never sweat the small stuff. Early EQ,n Wizard Epic 1 (when there was no 1.5 or 2.0) and I had finally compleated it all.

I go for the turn in.

The whole guild is eagerly waiting to hear as they all had helped me get it.

I make sure a main inventory slot is open.

Main bag slots are open.

I do the turn in, get the text I'm suppose to get, but no staff, I search all through my bags twice ... nothing.

I enter a petition to the GM, and sat right there and wait, not really expecting a responce, it was pretty late at night. A depressing chat with the guild fo a bit and then i logged for the night.

The next day the reason I logged in to see the damages, was i going to need to stsrt over? Would the game allow me to star over? Where was i at in the process? What I found was a message from a GM congradulting me on completing my epic. I quickly searced my bags and there it was.

I really don't understand the Rage Quit mentality in a video game,  I can only think this comes from a very fortunate person who has yet to experiance the loss of a loved one or news of a loved one having a heart attack or stoke or getting cancer. It's a game people, there is nothing here worth rage.

"Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"

• 2130 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:11 AM PST

Numerous members of my family have passed away and Overwatch still tilts me. I'm not sure the things have anything to do with eachother.

• 3237 posts
    November 25, 2017 7:34 AM PST

Meaningful relationships with other players makes the world go round.

• 1785 posts
    November 25, 2017 8:41 AM PST

When I have those bad days in game, my guild usually brings me back.  Sure, I'll be grumpy about it for a day or two, but my guildies tend to be like a box full of kittens.  Cute, and silly, and it's kind of impossible not to smile when they get going.  It helps put things in perspective.

• 321 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:16 AM PST

usually I don't wait a day to log back in. I give myself a few hours to cool down and collect my wits. That is when I find out what i was doing wrong and complete the act I was trying to do

• 2419 posts
    November 25, 2017 9:49 AM PST

So long as my guild has need of me, I will continue to play. By joining a guild you place the wants and needs of the guild ahead of your own, it comes to depend upon you and you upon it.  If you truly enjoy your guildmates, you will keep logging in.  On top of that there is that need to see and do everything. Knowing there are places I hadn't yet been, items I hadn't yet acquired, monsters I hadn't yet killed, quests I hadn't yet completed, spells I hadn't yet found pulls me back relentlessly.

• 753 posts
    November 25, 2017 11:39 AM PST

When I hit those moments (or perhaps more prescisely, when they hit me), my usual thought process goes this way:

- I'm experiencing whatever the negative emotional hit is that failure in the game has engendered in me (I died for the 5th time trying to get my corspe back, I didn't get that drop after the billionth try, etc...)

- I realize that the suck of the moment isn't permanent.

- I realize there that the thing ticking me off is ticking me off because I am somewhere in the game doing something I want to do, and failing

- I realize there are other things I want to do in the game

- Then I turn to my guild.  I forget whatever the downer of the day is for a bit and delve into guild chat... or grab a guild group... or go help someone in the guild with something they need... saving my own want / need for later... and knowing that when I'm ready to tackle it again, the guild will be there to help me.

And so for me, it's really both of those things... a realization that there is so much I want to do in the game, and a community to fall back on when I'm struggling.

• 118 posts
    November 25, 2017 12:37 PM PST

I just know from my time playing that the good times usually outweigh the bad.

• 98 posts
    November 25, 2017 3:24 PM PST

Nephele said:

When I have those bad days in game, my guild usually brings me back.  Sure, I'll be grumpy about it for a day or two, but my guildies tend to be like a box full of kittens.  Cute, and silly, and it's kind of impossible not to smile when they get going.  It helps put things in perspective.

Pretty much this. I must substitute the kittens for Pitbull pups (I am a dog person).

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 3:40 PM PST

I have never "rage-quit" a game, but I have "rage taken a couple of week vacation from that no-good mfer before I stabbed the devs in the neck" a few times.....hehehehe

• 98 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:02 PM PST

Kalok said:

I have never "rage-quit" a game, but I have "rage taken a couple of week vacation from that no-good mfer before I stabbed the devs in the neck" a few times.....hehehehe

I have been there brother. Generally it's DPS running ahead of me and causing a wipe. Hopefully a thing of the past in Pantheon (please!).

• 1281 posts
    November 25, 2017 4:17 PM PST

Jazznblues said:

Kalok said:

I have been there brother. Generally it's DPS running ahead of me and causing a wipe. Hopefully a thing of the past in Pantheon (please!).

Mine was casters not being able to control their pets and getting 3/4 of a dungeon on aggro.

• 3016 posts
    November 25, 2017 6:40 PM PST

I usually don't give up..get back in, figure out what I was doing wrong,  and try it again.  Usually the next time I am in a better mood too. :D

• 2138 posts
    November 26, 2017 4:10 AM PST

Because I rationalized that this is a game, and surely there are others being successfull where I am not. Although this ended up becoming a little self-effacing, the core motivation was the thought " there has to be another way or THEY (Devs/Deus ex Ludicrum) would not have put it here, therefore I am not solving the problem" and "I must really be bad at this!" but the puzzle aspect had me going for a while untill I realized I could go somewhere else.

However this caused me to try those out-of-place monsters, like the griffon in NK or the air elemental in commons thinking- it as intentional and therefore something that can be defeated at level 7 lol. I did learn otherwise much later- like year or two but that evolution of thought was pleasing once I realized.

• 3016 posts
    November 26, 2017 7:19 AM PST

Kalok said:

Jazznblues said:

Kalok said:

Mine was casters not being able to control their pets and getting 3/4 of a dungeon on aggro.

LOL Karnor's...whole top floor coming down on us,  because someone's pet wandered off.  :)

• 207 posts
    November 26, 2017 11:53 AM PST

Depends on how I feel when I play the game. I played FFXI for nearly a decade, and while I may have taken breaks from it, I never rage quited. But I had good friends at the time, they kept me coming back. Not neccessarily to go after loot, or make money, but it was the feeling of being in their company while in pursuit of said items that kept me coming back, knowing that even if my adventures weren't successful in obtaining a tangible reward I still have the memory of playing with friends. I hope pantheon will give me that same feeling, the feeling that I'm not logging on to advance myself but I'm logging on to help others advance and in turn, that seek to help me advance. 

• 2886 posts
    November 26, 2017 1:29 PM PST

Vandraad said:

So long as my guild has need of me, I will continue to play. By joining a guild you place the wants and needs of the guild ahead of your own, it comes to depend upon you and you upon it.  If you truly enjoy your guildmates, you will keep logging in.  On top of that there is that need to see and do everything. Knowing there are places I hadn't yet been, items I hadn't yet acquired, monsters I hadn't yet killed, quests I hadn't yet completed, spells I hadn't yet found pulls me back relentlessly.

My thoughts exactly. I don't really get ragey like that, but when things get difficult, if there are people that depend on me, I will do whatever it takes. There are other reasons and I agree with most of what others have said, but that is the main one for me.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 26, 2017 1:46 PM PST