Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

SOW - Spirit of Wolf (& SOE)

• 4 posts
    November 4, 2017 7:59 PM PDT

Will SOW/SOE be available?

Thanks!

• 668 posts
    November 4, 2017 8:33 PM PDT

I would bet a pretty penny that there will be similar buffs in Pantheon.  I feel it will be called something else though...

• 510 posts
    November 4, 2017 9:14 PM PDT

I seem to recall seeing some buffs like this in streams already...

• 26 posts
    November 4, 2017 9:54 PM PDT

I'm pretty sure I saw people surrounded by a lupine aura a time or two in past streams.

• 68 posts
    November 4, 2017 10:12 PM PDT

In the stream the Shaman was introduced, it was mentioned he had a movement speed buff line. It was also mentioned somewhere that Wizards had one, although I'm unsure if that's restricted to self-only or not.

Druids are also likely candidates for something like this, as well as of course Bards, should they make it in time for release.

• 24 posts
    November 4, 2017 10:36 PM PDT

I hope there's some form of levitation (SOE).  It's oddly satisfying.

• 1120 posts
    November 5, 2017 1:55 AM PST

Porshia said:

As long as there's no bouncing. 

• 278 posts
    November 5, 2017 2:10 AM PST

Porshia said:

This may be tricky for VR to handle as Pantheon has climbing skill so any spell like levitate and fly would "breake" that skill abit, so I think we need to wait and see how this get tackled by VR.

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 7:09 AM PST

Porygon said:
    Porshia said:

As long as there's no bouncing.

lol.. though I can imagine it being nauseating, it sure helped to see where a character was relative to the ground, and to see who had lev on.
    I would advocate the system WITH an option to turn it off

• 510 posts
    November 5, 2017 7:19 AM PST

In EQ Enchanters had Levitate.  It was a bit bouncy.  And in order to gain elevation you had to pretty much turn it off/recast.  I could see it working here as well.  If you want to climb up - and you will need to in some dungeons - then you will have to turn it off.  But once you get up there, you can cast it again - and this way if you get pushed off (knockback anyone?) you can float down instead of splatting.

• 18 posts
    November 5, 2017 11:32 AM PST

As long as when the Necro is implemented (please let this happen) it has a version of Dead Man Floating, I'll be happy.

~Winter 

• 1120 posts
    November 5, 2017 12:07 PM PST

Nephretiti said:

In EQ Enchanters had Levitate.  It was a bit bouncy.  And in order to gain elevation you had to pretty much turn it off/recast.  I could see it working here as well.  If you want to climb up - and you will need to in some dungeons - then you will have to turn it off.  But once you get up there, you can cast it again - and this way if you get pushed off (knockback anyone?) you can float down instead of splatting.

I would much rather just see a short term levitate buff like in wow.   Several seconds to save you if you know a knockback is coming... I tend to favor leaving spells out that will completely trivialize encounters.

• 334 posts
    November 5, 2017 12:27 PM PST

Porygon said:
    I would much rather just see a short term levitate buff like in wow.   Several seconds to save you if you know a knockback is coming... I tend to favor leaving spells out that will completely trivialize encounters.

maybe in agro one looses long lev, but is able to have light footing by short lev?

• 557 posts
    November 5, 2017 2:21 PM PST

EQ handled lev in special encounters by cancelling it when you entered the zone and disallowing a recast until you left.   

Personally I loved levitate for travel in EQ, but it did trivialize travel in some zones.   In Kunark zones such as Burning Woods or Dreadlands, you could pretty much lev far far above all mobs and cross like 90% of the zone before you were low enough to agro anything.

I think for Pantheon, i'm hoping for perhaps a faster fall rate if you are X distance above the terrain.   Lev should be something that you can use strategically, but doesn't trivialize mob encounters when you are travelling - regardless of your level.

When it comes to movement buffs, I hope there are several types, but that they're thought through better than those in EQ.   Many of the druid speed buffs in EQ were relegated to the back of your spell book.

This post was edited by Celandor at November 5, 2017 2:25 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 5, 2017 3:26 PM PST

We have Spirit of Wolf (SoW) in-game and have used it in some streams :)

• 106 posts
    November 5, 2017 7:40 PM PST

yeah I'm quite keen to see if there will be a form of Lev, there were some pretty steep traverse terrain in the streams, but just remember, nothing is cheat mode if everyone can get it :)

• 106 posts
    November 5, 2017 10:34 PM PST

Hi all. I saw in one of the videos, spirit of wolf being cast and was pretty happy. It will bring back some memories to those who use to play EQ. I was very much surprise when i heard that familiar sound being cast.

• 11 posts
    January 1, 2018 5:13 PM PST

As an EQ druid I lived with SoE on constantly. It just became how I moved and could not stand to be without it when on alts. Like Ravenwolf, I too had a Pavlovian response when I heard the sounds of buffs being cast and the level up "ding'.  Was certainly enough to seperate $300 from my wallet....

This post was edited by Cerendipity at January 1, 2018 5:15 PM PST
    • 643 posts
    January 2, 2018 8:03 PM PST

My first main was a druid.  I financed myself as a taxi cab and buff-merchant.

I loved/lived SOW.

I hated SOE/FOE.  Hated levitating - it made the entire game flat.  No terrain sensation anymore - no going up and down hills and mountains.  No running around lakes.  just fly over everything.  Made the entire world topography trivial and pointless.

A horrible damaging buff to the integrity of the game world.

This post was edited by fazool at January 2, 2018 8:03 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 3:31 PM PST

I would run up the side of a mountain and then cast levitate as a wizard...that way I got height,  specially in zones where the place was teeming with agro mobs.   Would give me the opportunity to look over the landscape and decide which way to take that was less filled with those mobs and I could find a place that suited my abilities.    Dead man floating from necros was good..liked it. :)

• 8 posts
    January 10, 2018 5:41 AM PST

Spirit of Wolf. Oneof my favourite EQ spells of all time, surpassed only by Wolf Form. Yep, druid through and through here...

• 14 posts
    January 10, 2018 1:59 PM PST

Ah yes I remember the SOW well .. One of the things Druids made money on aside from ports before the clickable porting devices anyway .. that would be a blast from the past for sure

• 316 posts
    January 14, 2018 1:10 AM PST
    Just to add:
    Please include levitate! Having it cast on my level 5 high elf mage running around Kelethin is a bright memory from my childhood experience with EQ. Levitate is so fun. Please figure out a way to incorporate it! ...Without reserving it for only the highest levels.
    • 470 posts
    January 14, 2018 1:54 AM PST

Alexander said: Just to add: Please include levitate! Having it cast on my level 5 high elf mage running around Kelethin is a bright memory from my childhood experience with EQ. Levitate is so fun. Please figure out a way to incorporate it! ...Without reserving it for only the highest levels.

What's even brighter is the approaching earth as you realize the time ran out just as you went over that high hill. :p

This post was edited by Kratuk at January 14, 2018 1:55 AM PST