Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

pre-alpha mentioned in the stream

• 1095 posts
    October 22, 2017 12:32 PM PDT

Yeah I suspect Alpha will be early next year. Jan or Feb Perhaps

• 151 posts
    October 23, 2017 8:30 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

We don;t have a timeframe for PA1 or Alpha/Beta, but PA1 is to help us set the game and servers up for large amounts of people and to help crush and game-breaking bugs that would affect large amounts of people, so however long it takes to get a stable build running minus game breaking bugs is how long Pre-Alpha will last, it may be only a month it may be longer but we won't know until we get in and test.

What we do know is we want a long Alpha/Beta period to make sure we comprehensively test the game so we can push out a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch.

Kilsin, are posters with pre-alpha access permitted to post their experiences on this forum to those with alpha access?

• 2752 posts
    October 23, 2017 9:02 AM PDT

I imagine there will be testing specific forums areas locked away. If pre-alpha/alpha/beta could post here it would mean there is no NDA since anyone can view the forums. 

• 151 posts
    October 23, 2017 12:42 PM PDT

Ok, then will there be a forum where anyone who has pledged will be able to read the experiences of whichever group is currently testing?

• 2752 posts
    October 23, 2017 1:12 PM PDT

Only those currently in testing will be able to see such things, not everyone who has pledged. It's all covered by NDA so until you either sign one and they let you in for testing or they drop the NDA it's going to be behind closed doors.

• 9115 posts
    October 23, 2017 5:42 PM PDT

Searril said:

Kilsin said:

We don;t have a timeframe for PA1 or Alpha/Beta, but PA1 is to help us set the game and servers up for large amounts of people and to help crush and game-breaking bugs that would affect large amounts of people, so however long it takes to get a stable build running minus game breaking bugs is how long Pre-Alpha will last, it may be only a month it may be longer but we won't know until we get in and test.

What we do know is we want a long Alpha/Beta period to make sure we comprehensively test the game so we can push out a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch.

Kilsin, are posters with pre-alpha access permitted to post their experiences on this forum to those with alpha access?

No, my friend, Pre-alpha testers will be under a full NDA and have a special hidden forum section to discuss things in.

• 1 posts
    September 17, 2023 7:39 AM PDT

Does anyone have any info on Alpha sign up?

This post was edited by Caledorm at September 17, 2023 7:39 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    September 17, 2023 8:25 AM PDT

The game is not in alpha yet so there isn't a sign up.  You could pledge to gain Alpha access so you could get in when it gets to that point...someday.

• 78 posts
    September 17, 2023 12:43 PM PDT

Caledorm said:

Does anyone have any info on Alpha sign up?

You don't sign up for things here, you pay for the hope you will one day get access!

• 44 posts
    September 24, 2023 12:02 PM PDT

This thread aged like milk.  If Pre-Alpha is supposed to be the short phase, and Alpha is the long phase, how long will it be in Alpha LOL.

• 1921 posts
    September 25, 2023 2:03 PM PDT

IMO:

There are a few thresholds that have been crossed (and can't be uncrossed), with respect to the context of Pantheon's development time.

One of those is the time that will be spent in subsequent phases.  Whatever made up names they want to call them, every phase with a discrete name beyond pre-alpha will be shorter than pre-alpha.

As a consequence, all the other groups of pledgers will be less happy than the pre-alpha group, soley with respect to the temporal quantity spent in their respective phases.

Or put another way, no-one is going to be happy with the amount of time spent in each phase after pre-alpha.  Why? Because they will all be a shorter amount of time, if this game is going to be released before Sol turns into a white dwarf star.

• 902 posts
    September 26, 2023 1:14 AM PDT

vjek: ...Or put another way, no-one is going to be happy with the amount of time spent in each phase after pre-alpha.  Why? Because they will all be a shorter amount of time, if this game is going to be released before Sol turns into a white dwarf star.

Actually, if alpha and beta are short, then it means the game is in a fit state. I dont care how long I get in these test phases. For me it was always about getting the game I longed for, out, to the general public. Not how much time I have in alpha and beta. These phases are not meant to be a space of play for the chosen few. These are test phases and should be looked at with a view to hunting out bugs, not as play time.

For me, the shorter they are in these phases the better. I just want the full release I was promised. I hope we get there very quickly.

Now, early access to play the release game is different. I think there should be a good amount of time for long time supporters to enjoy the world as it is meant to be, before full release to the general public.

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 26, 2023 1:24 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    September 26, 2023 9:42 AM PDT

IMO:
    While it may be true (that the game may be in a fit state in subsequent phases), my comments were based on Kilsin's statement of " ...What we do know is we want a long Alpha/Beta period to make sure we comprehensively test the game so we can push out a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch. "

Which indicates (to me) that a long Alpha/Beta would mean longer than Pre-Alpha, if PA was intended to be short.  It would seem that, based on Kilsin's statement, at some point, their intent was to have a short pre-alpha, and a long alpha/beta.
    This would allow them to reach that public design goal of 'a relatively bug-free and smooth experience for the games' official launch.'

But, I suppose it's also possible that the company has shifted yet another public design goal from 2017 to something entirely different in 2023.

• 44 posts
    September 30, 2023 8:13 PM PDT

Why are they sitting in pre-alpha so long anyways?  Why not move to Alpha?  If they go with a super short Alpha/Beta, then that means they have been using pre-alpha as the Alpha/Beta phase.  They will purposely have led Alpha/Beta players into pledging for basically no reason, when those people would have been better off just pledging at the very lowest tier.

I think there are in a bind with this dilemma, because once they move to Alpha there will be so many people, its almost as if they will be releasing the game into early access.  If the game is not at a high enough quality after this long, it could create a negative impression on potential future players.  There is just too many people pledged to Alpha/Beta to contain the info.

It seems they are just going to skip Alpha/Beta in concept and basically go straight from pre-alpha to early access.

• 3852 posts
    October 1, 2023 7:11 AM PDT

Years ago - the plan was to have alpha *start* with a game developed and polished enough to be the equivalent of a beta release for other games. At least up to early access standards. What the plan is today I wouldn't have the nerve to even guess.

• 128 posts
    October 15, 2023 2:56 PM PDT

Sure aged like milk. 

Back in 2017, when official replies actually happened,... they where "on track". Well. Now, 6 years later, we are... where exactly?

Just be upfront. Don't let the millions of dollars worth of bakers be in the dark like this. Just let us know. We can handle it. Only silence is a bad pick.

This post was edited by Jothany at October 16, 2023 1:34 AM PDT