Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Language locked race server / Role play

• 12 posts
    May 3, 2017 3:53 PM PDT

Languages have always been a huge part of my fun during the first EQ 1, with that being said, I would love to see language locked race content and only way to learn another language is just time spent with another race somehow.  I also would love the idea of having Languages a huge part of questing as well.  Along with insight and perception, you must know the language as well if you are to get that quest depending on what part of continent you are favoring that type of race.

My 2 cents.

• 9115 posts
    May 3, 2017 8:53 PM PDT

While we won't create lots of new servers for different rulesets as we don't want to split our community up any more than necessary, we are looking into the use of languages and if we decide to go ahead with it, you will see it implemented on all servers as a core game feature.

• 155 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:00 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

... we are looking into the use of languages and if we decide to go ahead with it, you will see it implemented on all servers as a core game feature.

Can you elaborate at this time about what the Team have in mind about the use of languages,  and how the game would be impacted ?

• 12 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:26 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

While we won't create lots of new servers for different rulesets as we don't want to split our community up any more than necessary, we are looking into the use of languages and if we decide to go ahead with it, you will see it implemented on all servers as a core game feature.

I just think that if you are going to have "insight and investigation" line that you are working up in order to get quests, wouldnt learning a language be part of that step to learn a higher level epic quest? When i played eq1 i learned all of them, and it was very cool to be on a server when they spoke the race specific languages as they were role playing. That was such a nice touch when they did that.

• 9115 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:00 PM PDT

Rendall said:

Kilsin said:

... we are looking into the use of languages and if we decide to go ahead with it, you will see it implemented on all servers as a core game feature.

Can you elaborate at this time about what the Team have in mind about the use of languages,  and how the game would be impacted ?

I cannot I am sorry, more will come later as development progresses. :)

• 9115 posts
    May 4, 2017 4:01 PM PDT

Arkyan said:

Kilsin said:

I just think that if you are going to have "insight and investigation" line that you are working up in order to get quests, wouldnt learning a language be part of that step to learn a higher level epic quest? When i played eq1 i learned all of them, and it was very cool to be on a server when they spoke the race specific languages as they were role playing. That was such a nice touch when they did that.

It could be but as I said, we have not revealed it all yet, that will come later, I just wanted to reply and let you know we are considering languages. :)

• 131 posts
    May 5, 2017 5:09 AM PDT

+1 for please do include languages!  I know it's a big undertaking, but it goes so far towards making each race feel like they have an identity.

Also loved npc languages in eq2.  When you would start out in a certain area with mobs you hadn't encountered before, you wouldnt be able to understand the smack talk from them in battle until you learned the language lol.  A Gnoll says "Bark bark bark!"  lol.

• 1095 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:29 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Languages could impact the prices coming from a perticular race vendor. Would memic being a local versus tourist prices. Also would encourge group chat more and actually using the different languages.

But the issue of learning the languages would need to be addressed, the spamming of group chat for instance needs to be reworked into something more elaborate.

This post was edited by Aich at May 5, 2017 2:29 PM PDT
    • 752 posts
    April 12, 2018 8:32 AM PDT

Sign me up for making us learn languages. Even Common tongue should be learned, maybe start at a slightly higher skill level, but learned nonetheless. Just my 2bits. I enjoyed sitting in groups with languages on just spamming each other - Like a sewing circle. Make it so typing has a bonus over voice chat with integrated quest lines through language nodes. 

• 613 posts
    April 12, 2018 10:06 AM PDT

Zeem said:

Kilsin said:

Languages could impact the prices coming from a perticular race vendor. Would memic being a local versus tourist prices. Also would encourge group chat more and actually using the different languages.

But the issue of learning the languages would need to be addressed, the spamming of group chat for instance needs to be reworked into something more elaborate.

I think this would be a cool feature.  You don’t know the local lingo and it will cost you more and a possible trait or learning aspect is required.  Helps boost the local economy and crates nice little niches for crafters and trainers.  It’s also fun just trying to learn the languages.  It can go much farther too.  Quest chains can be locked if you don’t know them or region quests can be hampered if those skills are not acquired. 

Ox 

• 3852 posts
    April 12, 2018 10:13 AM PDT

In EQ2 some languages were totally trivial to learn - you went into a store and bought them and they weren't expensive. Somewhat ridiculous IMO. 

At least one (draconic) was highly useful and by no means easy to learn - it took a rather time consuming quest sending to many places.

If languages are important in Pantheon I would hope they aren't just a check-off item - when you create a new character don't forget to take 30 seconds to pick up a dozen of them. They should take some time and effort to pick up and maybe a significant amount of game time to learn rather than you skim a book and know the language instantly. Of course, with such a system it would be desirable for most towns and encampments to have at least some NPCs that speak more than just the local language so you can deal with them on more than a grunt and point (or threaten and kill) basis.

This post was edited by dorotea at April 12, 2018 10:14 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    April 12, 2018 10:45 AM PDT

dorotea said:

In EQ2 some languages were totally trivial to learn - you went into a store and bought them and they weren't expensive. Somewhat ridiculous IMO. 

At least one (draconic) was highly useful and by no means easy to learn - it took a rather time consuming quest sending to many places.

If languages are important in Pantheon I would hope they aren't just a check-off item - when you create a new character don't forget to take 30 seconds to pick up a dozen of them. They should take some time and effort to pick up and maybe a significant amount of game time to learn rather than you skim a book and know the language instantly. Of course, with such a system it would be desirable for most towns and encampments to have at least some NPCs that speak more than just the local language so you can deal with them on more than a grunt and point (or threaten and kill) basis.

The EQ2 solution always rubbed me wrong.  It was an afterthought. 

Draconic took me a while to do.  Loved it. 

Yeah, I am hoping Pantheon does not go the box check and quick sell route.  Then the larger question why bother.   My thought is when you ran into other players or NPC’s speaking different languages it made the game feel even bigger in scope.  Now, if I didn’t know where to go to learn the lingo I needed find it.  Spurring off a new adventure to go wade into. 

Ox

• 1921 posts
    April 12, 2018 12:22 PM PDT

Language can be awesome, hope they do it right.  It would be trivial to tie it in with or in addition to a faction system.
    Something like if you want to be able to comprehend, interpret, or understand information or items left behind in a particular races culture, or language?  You need to learn about it.  How do you learn?  You find artifacts, books, scraps of paper, items in tombs, items in libraries, items sold my traveling merchants.  Even better if you kill/rob humanoids and they have orders, lists, recipes written in TWO languages, one of which you speak/read, so you can understand it and use it as the start of a primer or translation key / dictionary.

Now, collect enough, study enough, have enough INT, WIS or perception, and you start to be able to interact with NPCs that speak that language, or objects written in that language or from that culture because you have built your own dictionary from your efforts.  It seems ridiculous that cultures, races, and kingdoms diametrically opposed and separated by geography, philosophy, and religion would be able to completely understand each other, in a fantasy setting.  Language is yet another opportunity for a deep, fun, challenging mechanic.

If that seems like too much?  Put 9 pieces for each language within each of three dungeons on each starting continent.  Collect all 9 for each, now you can read and write that language.  You can only be learning one language at a time.  >:)

But spamming the same word a thousand times in a group to "learn" a language?  No thanks.  Silly speedbump, poor implementation.
    EDIT: typos

This post was edited by vjek at April 12, 2018 2:35 PM PDT
    • 409 posts
    April 12, 2018 2:19 PM PDT

The draw to a game like what we are all hoping Pantheon will be is the slow, steady and INVOLVED development of a character (and alts). Language is part of that, and could make for really cool lore,narrative, etc. 

• 752 posts
    April 13, 2018 1:32 PM PDT
    I just get so excited thinking about the possibilities that i have to contain my excitement. I really want to see language integration. It makes sense to me that if you try to get a scar epic ability you should probably speak skar. So one person might have an epic ability or spell before others based on language/race, but there would be a different epic item on the other continent requiring a different language to balance the dynamic questlines. I see a ton of possibilities with perception and language mixtures. Even mob AI could be affected by language cues. Just..... its just an exciting time!
    • 613 posts
    April 13, 2018 1:54 PM PDT

Venjenz said:

The draw to a game like what we are all hoping Pantheon will be is the slow, steady and INVOLVED development of a character (and alts). Language is part of that, and could make for really cool lore,narrative, etc. 

Nailed it!

• 2756 posts
    April 14, 2018 2:00 AM PDT

Venjenz said:

I would love to see language (like faction) have an effect in game. It makes a big difference in the real world when you make even a small effort to use a local language.

It could also effect the Perception system.  If you've bothered to learn a language you might well notice the scratching on an ancient pillar are actually words in an old version of that language, so only if you had good Perception *and* knew Dark Myr would you get that quest hinted at by the 'scratched rock' which is actually a signpost pointing into the sea...

This post was edited by disposalist at April 14, 2018 2:01 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    July 25, 2018 8:28 AM PDT

I sincerenly hope there is a Common Tongue and a language for all races.  Everyone should be able to speak the Common Tongue and their own race language, and you should be able to learn other languages the more you spend time with another race.  I think this is something that's just extra fun.  You could even give out special rewards or trophies for players who master another language.  I'm definately hoping that this makes an appearance in the game.  I'd love to be a Dark Myr and talk to my Dark Myr friends in our mother tongue so no one can know what we're talking about... lmfao.  OR!  They could know what we're talking about because they learned the language. ;D lol.  I love it.

• 132 posts
    July 27, 2018 8:44 AM PDT
    Languages are something I would like to see.
    • 1019 posts
    July 27, 2018 8:52 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Muahahahaahaha....yes!!!

• 1019 posts
    July 27, 2018 8:55 AM PDT

Perplexing89 said:

I sincerenly hope there is a Common Tongue and a language for all races.  Everyone should be able to speak the Common Tongue and their own race language, and you should be able to learn other languages the more you spend time with another race.  I think this is something that's just extra fun.  You could even give out special rewards or trophies for players who master another language.  I'm definately hoping that this makes an appearance in the game.  I'd love to be a Dark Myr and talk to my Dark Myr friends in our mother tongue so no one can know what we're talking about... lmfao.  OR!  They could know what we're talking about because they learned the language. ;D lol.  I love it.

I hope there is no Common Tongue.  Some races langues are understood by others, but hopefully there is no world wide language.  If a language becomes worldwide, its one of the easier to learn, or easier to obtain languages.

• 48 posts
    July 27, 2018 9:27 AM PDT

+1 for this. I always liked this part of the RP servers in EQ. Not so much the ease of how they were learned though (/tell spam). Having your own language that takes a lot of effort for others to learn does add a lot to the game, IMO.

• 34 posts
    November 18, 2018 9:42 AM PST

Kilsin said:

As we all know the Team is way busy with all the things. Has there been any more thought put into languages ? I think it was [2017] since this has been brought up, just checking in.

• 1281 posts
    November 18, 2018 10:25 AM PST

I'm not abut a "locked" rule set, but I am all about languages being a thing, including for questing.  I can see vendors and players, at least some of them, speaking a "common" language across the continents, but for the "nitty gritty" stuff racial and class languages would be awesome.

• 49 posts
    November 19, 2018 10:01 AM PST

I definitely don't want there to be special servers for this. I would very much like for languages to be a meaningful part of the game as a whole. We use language 24/7. We are making use of one language (out of thousands) right now. Language is indispensable in real life. If this game is to truly feel like another world, language needs to be made a meaningful aspect of the game.

This post was edited by Reichsritter at November 19, 2018 10:09 AM PST