Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Rare Harvesting Mats

• 6 posts
    April 21, 2017 11:58 AM PDT

I was wonderinf has anyone seen aninformation about the crafting and harvesting mat's?  Will there be rarity tiers on mats that will create better items then the regular "Common" mats?

• 2886 posts
    April 21, 2017 5:35 PM PDT

Yes. I'm not sure "tiers" is the exact word, but there will certainly be certain materials that are more difficult to obtain and are used in advanced crafting recipes. Have you read this yet?

"An Overview of Harvesting

The goal of the Harvesting system is to provide the components through which players will craft a variety of items. These Harvesting materials will be provided in a variety of ways.

One method of Harvesting is the aforementioned traditional "find a node, and interact with it to receive Harvested loot". This is done by finding an ore vein and mining it, finding a tree and cutting it down, and so forth. Rather than having materials for more advanced Crafting recipes be gated by level content in a zone as has been done in some other MMORPGs, we will have the nodes and the items they provide exist in sensible locations within their ecology.

Another way Harvesting will come into play is through Salvaging, a method for players to break down existing items and receive components in return. Salvaging items can result in a mix of raw materials and/or crafting components. In our crafting example above with Gareon and his Silvered Longsword, say he’s outgrown the need for the item. He could choose to Salvage it, possibly resulting in silver chunks, a silvered blade, or a hilt.

While the idea certainly isn't a new one, we will also have some crafting components sold only in specific cities. Many of these local materials will tie directly in with cultural based recipes. For example, special glass making materials might be found with the Dark Myr, so if players want to craft the Myr type of glass items they have to have the faction to buy the items there or find another player that has the faction that’s willing to sell them the materials from there.

Similar to locale-based materials for purchase, harvesting nodes will exist by local ecologies, even if those areas lean towards the exotic or fantastical, such as colored mana-rich areas… Rather than providing harvesting opportunities by perceived difficulty of a zone or the content around it, we'll be placing them where they naturally make the most sense. You’ll also find harvesting opportunities within civilized areas, such as gardens, parks, and the like, as well in the wilds.

Our line of thinking in terms of access to harvesting is that all players will be able utilize all of the available skills as they wish, provided they have an appropriate harvesting tool. All material types will already be coming from Salvaging and looting materials directly from NPCs, so limiting players’ access to individual skills felt arbitrary. Pantheon’s current harvesting skills are as follows: Fishing, Gathering, Logging, Mining, and Skinning."

(Source: http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/crafting_and_harvesting/)

• 3852 posts
    April 22, 2017 8:19 AM PDT

That newsletter was nice to see, but obviously didn't answer every question. They couldn't if they wanted to - many decisions will not be made until later and *any* decision is subject to change as a result of testing.

Many games have had rare materials drop from nodes. Often as a low percentage chance from a normal-seeming node, occasionally (and IMO less desirably) as a node that visibly is of the rare material.

Vanguard had so-called super-rare materials that weren't all that super rare. Having two tiers of rare materials is fine I enjoyed the system, my beef is with the terminology. This was added, as I recall, well after release as a way to give new materials and new recipes without introducing new higher level zones with different nodes. Vanguard's support from Sony-on-line (now Daybreak), Gods bugger them with a cattle prod, was less than good. I doubt if we will see super-rares in Pantheon.

• 2886 posts
    April 22, 2017 12:34 PM PDT

dorotea said:

That newsletter was nice to see, but obviously didn't answer every question. They couldn't if they wanted to - many decisions will not be made until later and *any* decision is subject to change as a result of testing.

Many games have had rare materials drop from nodes. Often as a low percentage chance from a normal-seeming node, occasionally (and IMO less desirably) as a node that visibly is of the rare material.

Vanguard had so-called super-rare materials that weren't all that super rare. Having two tiers of rare materials is fine I enjoyed the system, my beef is with the terminology. This was added, as I recall, well after release as a way to give new materials and new recipes without introducing new higher level zones with different nodes. Vanguard's support from Sony-on-line (now Daybreak), Gods bugger them with a cattle prod, was less than good. I doubt if we will see super-rares in Pantheon.

Yeah it wouldn't make any sense at all to have equal amounts of every material throughout the world. I think it almost goes without saying that there will be certain mats that are more rare than others. But yeah the terminology or like I said, "tiers", is another question. But we know that the newsleter was just a taste of a much larger system which they'll be revealing in the future.

• 294 posts
    April 25, 2017 5:02 PM PDT

Ya Bazgrim, I understand the idea behind tiers when constructing a game but I am kinda hoping this game may tend toward a new direction rather than the traditional tier based systems. I do understand that things tend to build on top of other things and that everything involves advancement, but it gets all technical when everyone is talking tiers.

"I got the new t4 sword and can't wait to get to such and such level so I can do the dungeon for the new t5 upgrade mats."

Yes, I understand that it kinda goes this way due to progression no matter what, but it takes away from the immersion of gameplay for me. And yes, I understand that to some people, this is the exact definition of what they are looking for in gameplay.

I guess time will tell. I look forward to more info regarding all of this and I wont be discourged either way it goes. I do enjoy trying out new things though and hope the devs are taking a few risks here and there.

• 3852 posts
    April 26, 2017 8:33 AM PDT

>I look forward to more info regarding all of this and I wont be discourged either way it goes<

Precisely my feeling. Some things will go as we want, some things will not go as we want. But some of the latter may work out a lot better than we predicted so let's all keep open minds until at least beta, while still feeling free to share our opinions on these forums.