Forums » Pantheon Races

Racial weapon skills

• 159 posts
    February 6, 2017 11:02 AM PST

Yes I know Pantheon isn't DnD, but I think it'd be cool (and partly precent cookie cutter class gear) if the old PNP mainstay of racial weapon proficiency was used as part of the racial abilities. (Maybe not all races, but ones who's culture would embrace an iconic weapon for it's people)

Archai: all can use blunt weapons

Elves: all get longbow

Dwarves: all get axes or hammers

Dark Myr: all can use spears/tridents

Etc

Or similar.   I think it'd be nice to change it up so not all wizards get stuck using staves and daggers for example (assuming that's what they can use in the first place*)...It's Terminus, they could channel thru greatswords for all we know at the moment).  It'd be nice for an elven wizard (for example)  to run out of Mana and be able to toss a few arrows into the mob to help finish it off before med break.

(*. I'm hoping for spell talismans like vanguard had from artificer crafting)

Just my 2 coppers.

• 1618 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:25 PM PST

Fine with me.

• 2886 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:34 PM PST

Yup I think that's a good idea. I prefer games where anyone can at least pick up pretty much any weapon (provided they have the physical strength to do so), but of course that doesn't necessarily mean you'd have the training to be able to hit anything with it. But if it makes sense with the lore of the race, I think that's a good way to add some diversity. I like less restrictive requirements for gear.

• 422 posts
    February 6, 2017 12:59 PM PST

I am all for less restrictions on gear and such but I just don't like the idea of a caster toting around a great sword. 1h staves, 2h staves, daggers, short swords, blunted, even bucklers, but a great sword?

Same thing with armor. A plate wearing caster would just be dumb. Leather or chain? I could see that to some extent. Maybe have restrictions change depending on armor slot? I could see a caster maybe wearing a plate pot stype helm or something. Maybe a chain shirt over cloth or leather...

• 780 posts
    February 6, 2017 1:12 PM PST

I'm not sure about the elven wizard shooting arrows, but I think I remember hearing or reading somewhere that for warriors, different races may prefer different weapons andhave different feels to them because of it.  This would also give advantages over other races versus certain mob types.  No idea which thread or recording I got that from, and could be years old.  Sorry.

• 159 posts
    February 6, 2017 1:23 PM PST

kellindil said:

I am all for less restrictions on gear and such but I just don't like the idea of a caster toting around a great sword. 1h staves, 2h staves, daggers, short swords, blunted, even bucklers, but a great sword?

Same thing with armor. A plate wearing caster would just be dumb. Leather or chain? I could see that to some extent. Maybe have restrictions change depending on armor slot? I could see a caster maybe wearing a plate pot stype helm or something. Maybe a chain shirt over cloth or leather...

I'm only advocating some races having a racial weapon proficiency, not armor at all.

• 422 posts
    February 6, 2017 1:29 PM PST

I know, that was more of a continuation of the reasoning behind my opinion on classes allowed to use some weapons.

I don't know, the more I think about it, if it was STRICTLY a race thing and made sense for their lore or character design.

Like Humans would have no specialty. They are what most would consider the "Norm" and would be the middle ground. No bonus but no penlty either.

Not sure really... Just seems wrong to me for some reason.

• 191 posts
    February 6, 2017 1:55 PM PST

I like the idea of race-based weapon proficiencies because it encourages players to follow racial themes; however, I think your idea of "all x can use y" is a bit heavy-handed.  A better approach would be to give starting skill bonuses or a higher skill potential to certain races, or have the racial perk change on a per-class basis.

• 2886 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:13 AM PST

Shai said:

I like the idea of race-based weapon proficiencies because it encourages players to follow racial themes; however, I think your idea of "all x can use y" is a bit heavy-handed.  A better approach would be to give starting skill bonuses or a higher skill potential to certain races, or have the racial perk change on a per-class basis.

Well it depends on the definition of "weapon proficiency." The true meaning would be that any elf would automatically know how to hit things with a bow and do max dmg. Or is the OP just suggesting that any elf be able to equip a bow, but still have to train to get good at it? And perhaps have a small racial bonus to that skill. For example, Elves start out with a Ranged skill of 10/100 whereas everyone else starts at 1/100. But that's still very different from starting at 100/100. You know what I mean? My vote is that certain races be able to at least equip weapons of their racial type, but not be born being "proficient" with it - they still have to practice and train.

• 159 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:25 AM PST

By proficient I mean equip overriding class allowances on said weapon and be able to skill it up like a weapon your class can normally equip.  

For instance: if a wizard can equip daggers, staff, focus item and club, assume an elven wizard can also equip a bow and increase skill in it as he/she uses it.

• 2886 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:37 AM PST

Xilshale said:

By proficient I mean equip overriding class allowances on said weapon and be able to skill it up like a weapon your class can normally equip.  

For instance: if a wizard can equip daggers, staff, focus item and club, assume an elven wizard can also equip a bow and increase skill in it as he/she uses it.

Right. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• 191 posts
    February 7, 2017 7:40 AM PST

Xilshale said:

...overriding class allowances...

I don't like the assumption that weapons will be restricted by class.  I hope that everybody can equip everything, but that certain classes have a higher proficiency potential.  For example, both a wizard and a ranger can use a bow; however, the ranger can master it while the wizard will never progress beyond novice.

Under that system I would support a racial bonus that gave an elf wizard some extra bow proficiency.

• 2752 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:30 AM PST

Shai said:

Xilshale said:

...overriding class allowances...

I don't like the assumption that weapons will be restricted by class.  I hope that everybody can equip everything, but that certain classes have a higher proficiency potential.  For example, both a wizard and a ranger can use a bow; however, the ranger can master it while the wizard will never progress beyond novice.

Under that system I would support a racial bonus that gave an elf wizard some extra bow proficiency.

But would such a system see any real use beyond cosmetic? Aside from elven rangers. 

• 159 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:47 PM PST

From the class reveals:

Weaponry: Clerics are schooled in several types of One-Handed Blunt weaponry. Most have discarded the use of staves in order to carry their large tomes into battle, the ancient books bursting with powerful signets, writs and edicts.

Weaponry: Shaman are proficient with most simple weapons, however they tend to prefer spears, staves, and blunt weapons fashioned from wood, bone, or stone.

Class locked weapon proficiency is in.  Thankfully (but I'd love for my Myr Cleric to be able to wield a one handed spear/trident..I'm fine lugging around a mace, but I think racial ascetic should be a thing :p )

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 7, 2017 12:51 PM PST