Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

• 1778 posts
    January 23, 2017 8:03 AM PST

New game from Temco. I initially was very skeptical of the claimes that this game was a Souls-like game. They had a last chance demo this weekend. So I decided to give it a try for free expecting to abandon it within a couple of hours. Definitely a Dark Souls like atmosphere. Although Im not thrilled with the controller scheme (or not please with configurations A-F), it really does live up in many ways. It has its own feel and it does do enough differently to stand on its own like the interesting mechanic of ganing back stamina with correct timing after attacks. That said while the combat is similar its a bit more complex than Souls. Souls games let you use different weapons for different tactics and has strong and weak attacks. You could also block, riposte and parry. DS3 added in the weapon skills specials. Nioh also adds in the stamina regen tactic as well as high/mid/low attacks. So what ends up happening is depending on the enemy you might want a specific weapon, and need choose as combat flows whether to use strong or weak and high, mid or low attacks. All this while watching attack patterns and managing stamina and dodging potential deadly attacks from all enemies. There is a stamina regen. But waiting on that could get you killed compared to Souls. Its really important to tap the stamina button with good timing which is hard while you are doing all the above lol. Well a couple days later and about 20 hours into just the freaking demo, I am loving it and have already pre-purchased a game I initially thought would be crappy. I left plenty out, but thats the important stuff.

TL;DR If you like souls games, I recommend this game. But be warned that stamina mechanic isnt easy to remember when you are trying not to die. And yet if you dont ....... you could die anyway.