Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What is a "Keeper" anyway?

• 126 posts
    December 10, 2016 5:37 PM PST

Mentioned multiple times in the latest stream, apparently you can choose to become a "keeper", which then.... toggles on a quest log?

Ok, so you are making questing for portions of the UI - that are pretty much industry standard now - a "FEATURE".

Is that a joke, or is that for real?

Do you have to quest for your toolbar and mouse-cursor as well?

• 76 posts
    December 10, 2016 5:41 PM PST

The keeper is a lore char in the world of pantheon the idea of being a keeper would be to join like a lore guild within the game from what i got from it

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/lore/the_keeping_of_things/

here is more reading on it from the site.

• 116 posts
    December 10, 2016 5:47 PM PST

For someone who claims to be a VIP pledger you sure do seem to be trying to find ways to not like this game.

• 126 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:00 PM PST

No, what I am doing is trying to voice my displeasure AS a VIP, about aspects of the game I find distasteful.

Just because I have a dissenting view, does not mean it is invalid.

• 2886 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:00 PM PST

itvar said:

For someone who claims to be a VIP pledger you sure do seem to be trying to find ways to not like this game.

lol! yeah time to stop feeding the troll. 

Martell said:

No, what I am doing is trying to voice my displeasure AS a VIP, about aspects of the game I find distasteful.

If you want people to even consider your views, you're gonna hafta frame them in less arrogant, entitled, sarcastic, and harsh language. There are plenty of people here that have strong, negative, and unpopular opinions. But it still usually leads to intelligent conversation. Your posts come across like you just enjoy being contrary for no good reason. And if you donated too early and later realized later that it's not the game you thought it would be doesn't mean you can just haphazardly vent your frustration.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 10, 2016 6:14 PM PST
    • 116 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:11 PM PST

Martell said:

Yeah, but there's a right way and a wrong way to voice a dissenting view.  I've butted heads with some people here about certain things, but I would at least like to think I did so in a constructive and respectful manner.  And if I didn't, I would expect to be called out about it.

You come off as aggressive, sarcastic, and condescending, to be quite honest.  Now that doesn't bother me personally, goodness knows if there were prizes for sarcasm and condescention I would probably be disqualified for cheating, but in a public forum such as this, it absolutely does not endear you to the community, and does nothing to further your cause.

This post was edited by itvar at December 10, 2016 6:12 PM PST
    • 131 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:11 PM PST

And this is just the type of nonsense that discourages dev teams from sharing info with their player base before it is fleshed out.

• 126 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:17 PM PST

I just want brass tacks.  

It sounds like you will have to do some variety of questing to unlock your quest log.

I seek confirmation on that supposition.

If confirmed, I would like an explanation of why they think it is a good idea, or of value.

• 131 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:33 PM PST

Martell said:

Mentioned multiple times in the latest stream, apparently you can choose to become a "keeper", which then.... toggles on a quest log?

Ok, so you are making questing for portions of the UI - that are pretty much industry standard now - a "FEATURE".

Is that a joke, or is that for real?

Do you have to quest for your toolbar and mouse-cursor as well?

Oh, well, why didn't you SAY so?  Here, let me fix your first post for you then:

~~~~~~~

Dear Devs, 

It sounds like you will have to do some variety of questing to unlock what seems to be a standard quest log.

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, what is the thought process behind the direction you have chosen?

Sincerely,

Martell

~~~~~~~

Edited for redundency

This post was edited by MINX at December 10, 2016 6:34 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    December 10, 2016 6:40 PM PST

Martell said:

I just want brass tacks.  

It sounds like you will have to do some variety of questing to unlock your quest log.

I seek confirmation on that supposition.

If confirmed, I would like an explanation of why they think it is a good idea, or of value.

The short answer is, believe it or not, some people don't want "conveniences," or the "industry standard." Some people genuinely want to have to work hard for almost everything. If you are not one of those people, then this is definitely not the game for you. Maybe it's too much to assume that you would have read "The Pantheon Difference" and "Game Tenets" before becoming a VIP.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 10, 2016 6:42 PM PST
    • 15 posts
    December 10, 2016 9:23 PM PST

or, if you had listened to the stream a bit more closely you would have picked up that you do not -have- to do any quest or even follow your perceptions to get to max level, but that if you start working on you active component of perception (investigation) you will most likely have the opportunity to become a keeper which will grant you a keeper's journal that will record the hints you got from your perception system and not the quest journal you seem to refer to as an "industry standard" that tells you to go see NPC B at location L after you spoke to NPC A, you know, the one with the huge yellow exclamation mark above its head.

Now I only got that from watching the stream with an open mind and open ears, and I too am curious about the details of this keeper system, but demanding answers the way you're doing it (i.e. like a badly educated spoiled kid) will get the conversation nowhere and will most likely achieve the exact opposite result of not getting any info from the devs.

• 249 posts
    December 10, 2016 10:30 PM PST
    +1 to what others have said. You're clearly intelligent, but you may rub others the wrong way with your questioning prose

I believe the keepers journal is seperate from the quest log. It logs perception hits/clues/etc. I dont think all perception hits will lead to quests. Some may lead to lore. Others may lead to traps. Who knows at this point.
    • 763 posts
    December 11, 2016 12:42 AM PST

While being unintentionally funny, this part of your (somewhat overzealous) comment:

Martell said: Do you have to quest for your toolbar and mouse-cursor as well?

reminded me of a mechanic I thought would be useful!

1. Starting characters get to form groups of up to 4 people.

2. As you earn EXP grouping, you earn 'Group EXP'.

3. These ponts are spent on a form of 'AA' system (GAA)

4. You may also have some titles / accolades earned at milestones

NOTE: perhaps Humans, being more social, can have a Group_EXP bonus, or start with some GAA points. Trolls or Ogres, being more solitary, may get a Group_EXP penalty. Other racial, or even Class, modifiers could exist.

5. These are spent on GAA skills: For example ....

'Organiser' Unlock 5th spot (3 GAA)

'Leader' Unlock 6th Spot (5 GAA)

'Captain' : Unlock 2-Group Linking (10 GAA)

'Major' : Unlock 3-Group Linkikng (12 GAA)

'General' : Unlock 4-Group Linking (14 GAA)

++ with 2 x Generals you could run an 8-group Raid

See 'Target's Target' (2 GAA)

'Undertaker' (Levels 1-3) : Increase 'corpse drag' range by 0.5 feet (1/2/3 GAA)

'Builder' (Levels 1-3) : 'Camp Fire' lasts +10% longer per level (2/3/4 GAA)

'Awareness' Reduce enemy BackStab damage by 0.5% (2 GAA)

'Scout' (Levels 1-5) : Increase range for reported effects (2/3/3/4/5 GAA)

'Elite Scout' : Designate (ally) Target can view from your POV if in range (6 GAA)

'Morale Officer' (Levels 1-5) : Each level adds +0.5% resist vs 'Fear' (1/2/2/3/3/4 GAA)

and last, but not least,

'Eagle Scout' : Get a GPS (no batteries or satellites) to look at (10,000 GAA)

You get the idea.

These are to give further scope for horizontal development and promote grouping by offerring small but useful bonuses. With content set at 'challenging' for a 6-man team, many people in 4-man groups would see and appreciate the difference of a 5 and then 6-man team. This means mentors would also have benefits (they would certainly be able to have 6-man groups). With some tweaking of challenge levels for lower level content (e.g. levels 1-5) to make them viable for 4-man groups (just not as efficient) it also means the 'soloer' who has moved to Pantheon as the first truly 'social' game would be led to appreciate the need for grouping as the content got porogressively harder - ramping from challenge aimed at 4, then 5, then 6-man teams - as they moved through levels 1-4, 5-8, 9+.

Evoras, thinks the idea has some merit

• 9115 posts
    December 11, 2016 2:04 AM PST

MINX said:

And this is just the type of nonsense that discourages dev teams from sharing info with their player base before it is fleshed out.

It won't discourage us from anything, I assure you ;)

The majority of our target audience get it and unfortunately there are some who don't but they either will in time or they will move on, either way, we won't stop giving this level of information to you folks because of the very small minority who are not happy with our progress.

• 131 posts
    December 11, 2016 6:17 AM PST

Kilsin said:

MINX said:

It won't discourage us from anything, I assure you ;)

The majority of our target audience get it and unfortunately there are some who don't but they either will in time or they will move on, either way, we won't stop giving this level of information to you folks because of the very small minority who are not happy with our progress.

Thanks Kils, consider me assured hehe.

And you are right, the vast majority of folks (including me) were simply blown away by everything that was shown and revealed Friday.  We appreciate the team taking time out to keep us informed.

Cheers!

~MINX

• 221 posts
    December 11, 2016 6:56 AM PST

Martell appears to have lost some confidence in the team. I think he's asking valid questions in the posts I've seen but his delivery is lacking. I was one of the people who was onboard prior to KS and then walked away from this project for multiple reasons but what has brought me back is the confidence I have in the core teams ability and Kilsin's leet community skills. I think they have a ton of passion, are more creative than they've been giving credit for in various places and have a true sense of where they want to take this project. Feedback needs to occur, even be harsh when warranted, but delivery is everything... losing people on delivery, even when you're trying to bring up valid concerns is unfortunate. I won't say it's good to follow this project blindly but I will say these guys have really worked hard to start earning trust and I think they have a good overall sense of expectations and care enough about this project to not deliver a system like perception as a gimmick. 

This post was edited by Convo at December 11, 2016 7:06 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    December 11, 2016 7:28 AM PST

Convo said:

Martell appears to have lost some confidence in the team. I think he's asking valid questions in the posts I've seen but his delivery is lacking. I was one of the people who was onboard prior to KS and then walked away from this project for multiple reasons but what has brought me back is the confidence I have in the core teams ability and Kilsin's leet community skills. I think they have a ton of passion, are more creative than they've been giving credit for in various places and have a true sense of where they want to take this project. Feedback needs to occur, even be harsh when warranted, but delivery is everything... losing people on delivery, even when you're trying to bring up valid concerns is unfortunate. I won't say it's good to follow this project blindly but I will say these guys have really worked hard to start earning trust and I think they have a good overall sense of expectations and care enough about this project to not deliver a system like perception as a gimmick. 

I absolutely agree, man, constructive criticism is very important to us, we don't want to be caught in an echo chamber of positivity and not realize areas that we can improve on, which is why I canvas these forums and all the other official platforms and gaming websites like MMORPG.com to find that unbiased information and pass it on.

We love feedback of all kinds, positive and negative but as long as it is constructive, I don't even mind if it is said in a harsh or rude manner as long as the person abides by the forum guidelines, I remove the emotion from the text and grab what I need to pass on to the team anyway but I encourage feedback of all kinds as does the team, it is very important to us.

Also, thank you, Sir. :)

• 74 posts
    December 11, 2016 7:43 AM PST

I liked in Warhammer Online they had something called a Tome of Knowledge, something like this in Pantheon would be pretty cool.

As you did quests, it added it to a journal (like a story), but as you killed mobs and bosses, it unlocked lore added to the journal for those encounters.

Reminds me of something like a journal that an adventurer may keep and may refer to from time to time. As you play, over time your journal continues to become more populated with your adventures. 

Only thing I can see that'd be gutted would be the map markers of where quests are, but maybe marking a map of things you've already done would work as it's again a journal of your own adventures (things you've already done).

Here's a video I found explaining the Tome of Knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyrZvjpydQ

The irony is, we all become in some ways a keeper, recording the history of events from each of our perspectives.

This post was edited by spyderoptik at December 11, 2016 7:43 AM PST