Hero's Song

• 188 posts
    November 10, 2016 11:53 AM PST

Anyone giving the early release a try?

• 172 posts
    November 11, 2016 1:52 AM PST

Hannar said:

Anyone giving the early release a try?

yeah, ive played it.. its a little early to tell overall.. however alpha 3 just ended

It has a ton of replayability even right now theres at least 15 classes and 10 races to play with more classes to come (8 to be exact, or at least thats what it says in game)

It is an ARPG so think diablo here, but more difficult in my opinion.  Not only that, its paced much slower than any other ARPG ive played (Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile) There are some hardcore aspects to the game such as perma death and a very unforgiving environment regarding mobs.  There are multiplayer worlds that are being hosted, other than that you have to create your own world and you can then open it as single/multiplayer.  For what its worth there are a lot of great ideas and its really fun.  It has a great ARPG feel with lots of diversity and a great pace as well as replayability.

So its playable yet there still feels like A LOT is being left out.. I say this mostly with merchants, trainers, and crafting in mind.  Now, for $19.99 on steam (which i didnt think was too bad) its really up to you, i would wait to buy the game until it is closer to being finished if youre looking for a full game.   But if youre looking to support developement and have something new to play, i would recommend it

All that being said keep in mind ive only played the game for 3 hours and i have no where but scratched the surface of this game, it is a truly huge world. 

This post was edited by Aayden at November 11, 2016 1:54 AM PST
    • 318 posts
    December 27, 2016 7:25 AM PST

I bought Hero's Song on steam last month, and I was looking forward to seeing it get developed.

It's a shame that the game was cancelled due to lack of funding. The announcement seemed really out of the blue, as I had no idea they were having financial issues.

VR tends to keep their financial details private, but I certainly hope if Pantheon were ever got into a similar situation, they would let the community know first and give us a chance to help out.

• 188 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:55 AM PST

I ended up playing it for about 5 hours total - I can see why there was promise, but also see why it failed.  There just wasn't much direction (even by original EverQuest 1999 standards....) and the difficulty was quite high, with an unclear progression path.  It was a tough look, even for early access.

• 318 posts
    December 27, 2016 9:42 AM PST

Hannar said:

I ended up playing it for about 5 hours total - I can see why there was promise, but also see why it failed.  There just wasn't much direction (even by original EverQuest 1999 standards....) and the difficulty was quite high, with an unclear progression path.  It was a tough look, even for early access.

Yeah agreed. I played for about 45 minutes before putting it aside to wait for more development. The premise of the game excited me. The implementation still needed work. But I've played plenty of other games where their alphas started off in much worse shape.

My biggest issue was with the player controls. You click to attack, and you click to move. So if you were trying to kill a skeleton with a bow, you click him once to attack, and then the skeleton starts running towards you. At that point, if you tried to shoot the skeleton as it was running and missed clicking on him, your character would move towards him instead. Getting into melee range wasn't something you wanted to be doing as a squishy ranger... I assume they would've made improvements, though I guess now we'll never know.

This post was edited by Wellspring at December 27, 2016 9:43 AM PST
    • 208 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:40 PM PST

My biggest issue was with the player controls. You click to attack, and you click to move. So if you were trying to kill a skeleton with a bow, you click him once to attack, and then the skeleton starts running towards you. At that point, if you tried to shoot the skeleton as it was running and missed clicking on him, your character would move towards him instead. Getting into melee range wasn't something you wanted to be doing as a squishy ranger... I assume they would've made improvements, though I guess now we'll never know.

FYI holding Left control kept you stationary when clicking and shooting. Moot point now I guess. I'm actually keeping the game personally instead of getting the refund. It is still a decent light Rogue like. Will still play from time to time. 

• 318 posts
    December 28, 2016 11:30 AM PST

Bluefyre said:

FYI holding Left control kept you stationary when clicking and shooting. Moot point now I guess. I'm actually keeping the game personally instead of getting the refund. It is still a decent light Rogue like. Will still play from time to time. 

Ahh haha. I didn't know that. I figured they would add something like that eventually. I just didn't know it was already there. Thanks for the info :)