Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Over-hype

• 294 posts
    November 7, 2016 4:33 PM PST

I've seen games in early Alpha and Beta stages get over-hyped by the fan base and then end with disapointment by those same fans when the game did not live up to their unrealistic expectations.

Should we be aware of that with Pantheon and not over-hype the game, or should we go "no holds barred" all the way with it?

Input?

• 27 posts
    November 7, 2016 4:37 PM PST

Yes you should be aware of not hyping up the game.  Be excited about things you like and disappointed by things you don't.  That is to say, be objective in your analysis and provide visceral feedback about how you feel.  Don't let your judgement be clouded by hype.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    November 7, 2016 5:28 PM PST

Lucid said:

Yes you should be aware of not hyping up the game.  Be excited about things you like and disappointed by things you don't.  That is to say, be objective in your analysis and provide visceral feedback about how you feel.  Don't let your judgement be clouded by hype.

I agree.  One of the things we need right now is more general awareness about Pantheon.  People who might like the game but don't really keep tabs on MMOs in development and the like.

But when spreading the word about Pantheon I would (just a suggestion):

1. Summarize the game, why it's different, etc. (there aren't many MMOs that are about grouping, socialization and community in development).

2. let people know the website

3. Let people know why you personally are interested, but feel free to list honest concerns or questions you have that as of yet are unanswered.

Not only is this an honest way to let people know about Pantheon but I think others will take what you're saying more seriously if it doesn't sound too hyped up.

• 2886 posts
    November 7, 2016 5:36 PM PST

It's rarely a good idea to go "no holds barred" about something that is uncertain. Just in general. You should try your best to remain objective and reasonable. I'd also add the importance of being open-minded. That is, as many ties as Pantheon has to EQ1, it feels like too many people are directly comparing the two and they are expecting (or at least hoping) that the two games will be basically identical in essence. I think it's so important to view Pantheon as its own game and be wide open to new, progressive ideas. Nostalgia is wonderful, but it has its place. And that place is in the past.

• 9115 posts
    November 7, 2016 7:25 PM PST

Lucid said:

This is a very sensible approach and one I try to spread to those who have not yet heard of Pantheon, letting them make their own mind up is always the best way, nice post )

• 668 posts
    November 8, 2016 4:01 PM PST

I have mentioned it to several groups of new friends on Discord, TS or Vox as I have played GW2 and now WoW Legion. 

My elevator pitch on the game is saying it is going to be a brand new world, developed by the creators or EQ and VG, and is centered around group play against the modern AI.  Classes will be similar to EQ with their own unique abilities.  It is not a game that one can rush through, and one where there is much more danger around every turn than any other game out there.  It should be quite immersive and a great place for guilds to transfer over to..

I always link them the website and several have commented on the fact that "it looks good / promising".  Some have even joined the forums!

This post was edited by Pyye at November 8, 2016 4:03 PM PST