Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Guys, please...

• 21 posts
    November 4, 2016 2:49 PM PDT

..When the final pass of the game comes into play for the caster classes, do not give them the baseball bat in hand while running around in combat or otherwise feel. I hated that in Vanguard and eventhough, I know this is a early version of the game, please, please, give the casters a better staff holding animation. I'm currently playing a game called BDO where the Wizard or Witch does not run around with their staff in their hands 24/7 but causes it to materialze when in combat or disappear when not (Something a caster would do). I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement in the game or some dynamic where it does look natural when I am running with the staff in hand instead of like a baseball bat in hand or slung over my back within the game (Again, I hated this in Vanguard and EQ).

I know I am being a deep critic of the early version we are seeing right now, but if I did not criticize that means I would not be passionate or care about the direction of the game.

Unity video was a plus, as it did pull in more of my friends from Neverwinter. I think what I am describing would awe more people on these and other forums, if the animation and art department pulled off what I described (Game content is important, but so is this).

This post was edited by Graugus at November 4, 2016 2:50 PM PDT
    • 363 posts
    November 4, 2016 3:05 PM PDT

I actually prefer seeing a wizard walking around with his/her staff, similar to Gandalf and such.

• 1303 posts
    November 4, 2016 5:44 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

I actually prefer seeing a wizard walking around with his/her staff, similar to Gandalf and such.

Agreed. A wizard's staff isnt a conjuration. It's a physical focus item. And there's nothing wrong with using it as a bat as a last resort :) But you're right Gomok, there have been some pretty bad animations for staff weilders in some games. It'd be great if they  could be integrated into things more realistically. 

• 1434 posts
    November 4, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

I think we can expect that they will have a sheathed animation. One would hope at least.

They could also add an option where, if a caster is not actually using a weapon to channel or melee, it could leave the weapon shealthed while casting spells.

• 2419 posts
    November 4, 2016 7:03 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

Agreed.  The staff isn't just a weapon like a sword or spear.

• 17 posts
    November 4, 2016 8:09 PM PDT

I agree with the OP.  If melee characters have weapon options, so should casters.  Not all foci are (or should be) staves, just as all familiars should not be black cats.  Options are the spice of life.

• 763 posts
    November 5, 2016 2:17 AM PDT

I would be happy for them just to come up with a 'world view' rationale.

E.g. : 'Aiming spells' or precise work, needs a pointing focus to be most effective.

This, therefore may be a wand, sword, dagger or sceptre perhaps

E.g. : 'Defensive' spells need a 'blocking' focus to be most effective

This would best suit a staff held across the body, perhaps. Or 2 hands, palm out.

E.g. :'spell power' of a focus is dependent on how many runes it holds.

Thus, longer focus = more runes.

These kind of 'world view' rationales decide how magic works. This means you can pick and choose your preferred focus (or multiple foci) depending on how you feel your play style or class is best suited. No 'set' weapon type. However, each has advantages and disadvantages. Wizzy with a 2 handed. Truly impractical, but sure .... go for it! .... if you can lift it!

So yes - options .... but options that 'fit' how magic works.

• 21 posts
    November 5, 2016 2:27 PM PDT

Anistosoles said:

I don't mind it either, but walking around with it in his hands like a caveman club versus the way Gandalf holds his, I would rather not see it at all. Again, I think you guys are misinterprting what I am asking for here, I would not mind seeing the staff, just not a mage type character holding it like he's going to a gang fight.

I'll guess I'll have to (a) either record and do a animation narration or (b) show pictures of other games (which I would hate to do).

This post was edited by Graugus at November 5, 2016 2:27 PM PDT
    • 21 posts
    November 5, 2016 2:38 PM PDT

Okay, update on this, look at how this animation is for a unity reference stand point, this is the correct way to see a caster moving offensively, defensively, passively or actively with the staff. Now this is done on the unity engine so I know it can be done within this game now.

This is the way a Wizard, mage, Sorc in general would use the staff, Martial art classes could also use the passive stance without looking like they are going to batter up at a baseball game.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=staff+animation&view=detail&mid=35F89EC2919D9FFCFF9135F89EC2919D9FFCFF91&FORM=VIRE

Casting while wielding a staff

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=staff+animation&&view=detail&mid=88884FB3CB1D7AFF052A88884FB3CB1D7AFF052A&rvsmid=35F89EC2919D9FFCFF9135F89EC2919D9FFCFF91&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Staffs and staves animation

This video shows also that the same animation could be used for shield/Sword wielding classes as well, this would probably be the idea animation for stave/staff wielding classes (this animation could be used for a lot of things within the game).

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=staff+animation&&view=detail&mid=46615E9F6B910B806AC346615E9F6B910B806AC3&rvsmid=35F89EC2919D9FFCFF9135F89EC2919D9FFCFF91&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Again, note it does not look like I am about to go play ping pong or tap in some nails in this video.

Animations that people are sick of seeing in MMOs when it comes to casters, "The shotgun on back" or "Baseball bat in hand" animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EozpvcEYM0

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=WOw+Monk+animation&&view=detail&mid=4153677F792B50D0D0D14153677F792B50D0D0D1&FORM=VRDGAR

I think you all now have the perspective of what I was talking about.

This post was edited by Graugus at November 5, 2016 4:17 PM PDT
    • 793 posts
    November 6, 2016 5:39 AM PST

And when standing around idle, they should lean on their staff. That would be a cool animation.

• 47 posts
    November 6, 2016 7:30 AM PST

Thanks for the video links

Yeah... the same ole, same ole... grafix

Related to this - IMO - is a tavern and my character cannot sit on a stool at the bar. Can't sit in a chair. Can't sit on a bench in a temple or cathedral. Not the same exactly, but... related I think.

And like most of my posts... lol ... realism. This is about immersion IMO.

Vanguard had some really good grafix for a few things. Sitting down was way better than EQ. Mount motions were way more realistic.

I'm gonna bet that all these things will be addressed. If I have issue with them then I'm pretty sure our devs - who PLAY THE GAME they are working on - will want to improve these things as well :)

• 112 posts
    November 6, 2016 10:33 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

Gandalf also had a named sword (Glamdring), that was, at least early on, his main weapon.

just throwing that out there.

• 763 posts
    November 6, 2016 12:22 PM PST

In the same vein ....

... perhaps some animations:

1. Idle Stance -

A. Attentive (standard),

B. Inattentive/lean-on-staff (after5 mins idle),

C. Sleepy (shows 'Zzzz' when AFK)

2. Combat (Weapon A) etc

3 'Basic' swings in cycle (Weapon Skill = Low),

2 'Basic' + 1 'Advanced' swings in cycle (Weapon Skill = medium),

1 'Basic' + 2 'Advanced' swings in cycle (Weapon Skill = high)

3. Sitting :

A. Floor : Cross-legged, 'side-kneel' or 'crouch' (using weapon as prop)

B. Chair / Bench / Table-edge

Possibly right-click or target a 'seatable object' so you can actually sit on it! Properly!

Can include 'hot-spots' on benches or the edge of beds/tables/Bar

C. Animals (a.k.a 'riding')

4. Laying Down :

A. Laying down/sleeping at campfire

B. Same but on 'bed' or 'hammock' object

5. Climbing

6. Swimming

A. 'Floundering'/'Amateur' swimming motions (eg in armour)

B. 'Proper' swimming - eg Myr

Pretty sure that covers 90%+ of animations! Only about 5 years work there hehe

• 3016 posts
    November 6, 2016 12:28 PM PST

As a wizard IF by chance I do have to hit something with my staff because my mana pool is empty,  can we make the hit rate a little quicker than once every 30 seconds?   Thirty seconds is a lonnnng time when you're trying to defend yourself hehehe.   As for animations  /moon would be cool (Anarchy Online in pvp...was my fave "cheeky" emote at the enemy)   Also gangnam style animations for dance...would be fun/funny.  :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 6, 2016 12:34 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 7, 2016 6:29 PM PST

First, there's no such thing as a sheath for a staff. Maybe strapping on your back would work or simply materializing/de-materializing it would be cool. But personally, a wizard should ALWAYS carry their staff, except when they're in the comfort of their own home. In some lores, the wizard's staff is what he needs to directly channel their power. At least for any sort of spell that is more than mundane. Think of the Saruman vs. Gandalf battle on the top of Orthanc. Gandalf was basically useless without his staff and when Saruman wielded both, he was basically twice as powerful. Or when Gandalf released Theoden from Saruman's control in the Golden Hall of Meduseld - Gandalf would not have been able to do that if the guards had confiscated his staff. A wizard must always have his staff in hand in case of emergency.

There's all sorts of fun animations you can do with it, like twirling, to make it feel more than just a stick. And I definitely like the idea of leaning up against it after you've been afk for a little bit.

• 613 posts
    November 14, 2016 9:36 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

First, there's no such thing as a sheath for a staff. Maybe strapping on your back would work or simply materializing/de-materializing it would be cool. But personally, a wizard should ALWAYS carry their staff, except when they're in the comfort of their own home. In some lores, the wizard's staff is what he needs to directly channel their power. At least for any sort of spell that is more than mundane. Think of the Saruman vs. Gandalf battle on the top of Orthanc. Gandalf was basically useless without his staff and when Saruman wielded both, he was basically twice as powerful. Or when Gandalf released Theoden from Saruman's control in the Golden Hall of Meduseld - Gandalf would not have been able to do that if the guards had confiscated his staff. A wizard must always have his staff in hand in case of emergency.

There's all sorts of fun animations you can do with it, like twirling, to make it feel more than just a stick. And I definitely like the idea of leaning up against it after you've been afk for a little bit.

Totally agree.  If you dont want it showing unequip it sort of thing. 

Ox

Oxillion member and officer of The Dragon Accord

• 646 posts
    November 14, 2016 9:52 AM PST

When I was a mage with my skittle-stick epic 1.0 you can be darn sure I am going to hodl that thing out like a caveman club, baseball bat, lantern and picket line sign.  

Seriously, I want to see a caster with their staff as they walk the world.  If you want to sheath your weapon, disarm it and put it away I think.

Not a big deal one way or the other to me.  

• 24 posts
    December 22, 2016 5:31 PM PST

Qendiil said:

Thanks for the video links

Yeah... the same ole, same ole... grafix

Related to this - IMO - is a tavern and my character cannot sit on a stool at the bar. Can't sit in a chair. Can't sit on a bench in a temple or cathedral. Not the same exactly, but... related I think.

And like most of my posts... lol ... realism. This is about immersion IMO.

Vanguard had some really good grafix for a few things. Sitting down was way better than EQ. Mount motions were way more realistic.

I'm gonna bet that all these things will be addressed. If I have issue with them then I'm pretty sure our devs - who PLAY THE GAME they are working on - will want to improve these things as well :)

I don't think it is possible to create or play an MMO without having to sacrifice some form of immersion. Immersion of that level is more of a single player or even cooperative (1-2) game type sort of thing. I am referring to the interior interaction not the mount or staff animations. 

This post was edited by Throatseeker at December 22, 2016 5:33 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    December 22, 2016 5:39 PM PST

For things like sitting in chairs, to avoid clipping they could simply hide weapons as a part of the animation.

• 27 posts
    December 24, 2016 5:45 AM PST

Anistosoles said:

It looks like Gandalf liked to dual-wield with Glamdring the Foe-Hammer.  

• 1618 posts
    December 24, 2016 2:59 PM PST

If I have a big ass staff, where is it supposed to go when I am not using it. If not in my hands, where? I know my Ogre butt is big, but not storage size.

• 363 posts
    December 25, 2016 12:00 PM PST

Beefcake said:

If I have a big ass staff, where is it supposed to go when I am not using it. If not in my hands, where? I know my Ogre butt is big, but not storage size.

LoL! Exactly!!

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    December 25, 2016 12:52 PM PST

Dullahan said:

I think we can expect that they will have a sheathed animation. One would hope at least.

They could also add an option where, if a caster is not actually using a weapon to channel or melee, it could leave the weapon shealthed while casting spells.

This.

• 1404 posts
    December 25, 2016 12:56 PM PST

Beefcake said:

From the OP...

Gomok said:

..When the final pass of the game comes into play for the caster classes, do not give them the baseball bat in hand while running around in combat or otherwise feel. I hated that in Vanguard and eventhough, I know this is a early version of the game, please, please, give the casters a better staff holding animation. I'm currently playing a game called BDO where the Wizard or Witch does not run around with their staff in their hands 24/7 but causes it to materialze when in combat or disappear when not (Something a caster would do). I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement in the game or some dynamic where it does look natural when I am running with the staff in hand instead of like a baseball bat in hand or slung over my back within the game (Again, I hated this in Vanguard and EQ).

And THAT is why we don't let Ogres try to be Casters... it's terribly painful when they try to think. Just stand there, look tough, take a beating and leave the thinking to the High Elf's 

• 1404 posts
    December 25, 2016 12:58 PM PST

Aradune said:

Dullahan said:

This.

That would work. But please, don't let Ogres plan Caster Animations! 

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 25, 2016 12:59 PM PST