Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Tactics: A Novel Spell Type for Warrior-type Classes

• 110 posts
    November 11, 2016 9:22 AM PST

kellindil said:

The Lasso is a bad idea. It is at best gimicky in Tera and ESO, but more over its just silly. Warriors do not use magic. They are intended to be the fighters who forgo magic in favor of brute strength and training. Knights are Warriors with magic. Thats why they are called hybrid. This is the VR stance on Warriors. They are purists in martial combat.

Now the stance idea I think could swing for our Warriors in this game. It isn't so much as an aura or magic they enable as a change in fighting style. A defensive posture that allows a reduction in incoming damage through mitigation as the Warrior focuses on Parrying, but will sacrifice damage output as they are so focused on defensive fighting they cannot go on the offensive. Offensive stance that will increase damage output through critical strikes as they focus on scoring those mortal blows, but at the cost of defensive abilities. They become reckless as they take on a berserker style of fighting. During each stance there may be different skills that can be used. Maybe an ability that allows you to shield an ally from damage or a massive frontal kick that would put you at a severe defensive disadvantage but would disorient the target if it landed.

Instead of bastardizing the Warrior into a magic wielder lets try to stay true to the martial purist the class is intended to be in this game as stated by VR. We should be thinking on more "realistic" skill and ability based options rather than some magical ability that doesn't fit the class.

Kellindil -- I'm not trying to be argumentative, but where did VR say warriors would not be magic users? I just looked around on the site and the forums and didn't see any reference to this. I found this in the class area as a brief description: "The Warrior seemingly defies limits of physical strength, ability and resilience. However, not content with fortitude alone, he also refines his mind, becoming a master strategist in battle." Can you link to me where VR mentioned no spellcasting for warriors? I want to have a more informed opinion on this.

I'm also a fan of the pure fighter/non-casting warrior, but I'm willing to broaden my outlook. Also, I'm curious how that would work in the colored-mana world that VR is planning for Pantheon. How could they have a class (or two, if you include the monks) that isn't affected by this? You've got an idea there about stances, but think about it this way: What if a warrior can only channel mana for martial purposes, such as stances or improved taunts, bashes, kicks, etc.? There doesn't have to be any bright lights or spell-casting involved. That way, they retain their pure martial abilities but can be affected by the ambient mana changes. For example, what if warriors can only use defensive stances in areas affected by red mana and only use offensive stances in areas affected by blue mana? Now you're having to think about tactics even more depending on what area you're in. That fits with the VR brief about warriors: "However, not content with fortitude alone, he also refines his mind, becoming a master strategist in battle."

What do you think?