Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Zones with different exits than the entrance

• 1468 posts
    September 28, 2016 5:18 AM PDT

One of my all time favourite zones in EQ was Old Sebilis and if you remember when you zoned in you had to run through a bit of the zone to the exit. You couldn't just zone in and zone straight back out again. I thought that added a feeling of danger to the zone because if your group wasn't powerful enough to reach the exit you were kinda screwed only casters could exit using the Gate spell. Also there was Veeshans Peak which was the same but even harder (some say it was the hardest zone ever in the history of EQ when it was released). The exits were further away and you had to kill raid mobs to get there. Also to make it even harder the Gate spell was disabled so the only way to exit the zone was to reach an exit.

I'd love to see Pantheon have zones like this in-game preferably with a key quest required to actually enter the zone. It made zones like that feel more dangerous, more exclusive and more interesting.

What does everyone else think? Would you like to see a return to zones like this? I know I would.

• 151 posts
    September 28, 2016 5:23 AM PDT

As long as it's locked behind some kind of keying process I'm ok with it.

It would not be cool to have it where someone could aimlessly wander into a raid zone with no possible way of getting out because there was no exit at that location, gate spell was disabled, and no druids or wizards could port you out.

• 86 posts
    September 28, 2016 5:30 AM PDT

Absolutely, the world needs to be dangerous.  And I agree with Searril on controlling entry.

• 9115 posts
    September 28, 2016 5:57 AM PDT

That dungeon you saw us go into in the second stream, the one in Black Dagger Keep has multiple entrances and exits, it is actually a very large multi-level dungeon compared to what you folks saw in the stream and one we spend a lot of time in :D

I like multiple exits for zones to Crom, that is something I think would be good to see :)

• 1468 posts
    September 28, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

That dungeon you saw us go into in the second stream, the one in Black Dagger Keep has multiple entrances and exits, it is actually a very large multi-level dungeon compared to what you folks saw in the stream and one we spend a lot of time in :D

I like multiple exits for zones to Crom, that is something I think would be good to see :)

Sounds cool :). I loved the look of that dungeon but what would be really cool is if you zoned into the dungeon and thought "oh ****! I can't get out!" and you had to fight your way to the exit. That would add so much danger to the whole zone and would probably mean that people were seriously scared of zoning in. That is the kind of feeling that I hope Pantheon brings to the table.

I also loved key quests. I never did finish the Vex Thal key quest but I had a lot of fun doing it. It took ages and I met a lot of people doing it.

Glad to hear you like the idea anyway :).

• 793 posts
    September 28, 2016 6:37 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Kilsin said:

Sounds cool :). I loved the look of that dungeon but what would be really cool is if you zoned into the dungeon and thought "oh ****! I can't get out!" and you had to fight your way to the exit. That would add so much danger to the whole zone and would probably mean that people were seriously scared of zoning in. That is the kind of feeling that I hope Pantheon brings to the table.

I also loved key quests. I never did finish the Vex Thal key quest but I had a lot of fun doing it. It took ages and I met a lot of people doing it.

Glad to hear you like the idea anyway :).

I don't mind one-way entrances as long as they make sense. Like you have to jump down a well or hole to enter, so there is no way back up, and you are well aware of that before you enter. 

Don't recall what game it was, but I found a cave entrance and entered. Quickly realized I could not survive in there and turned around to see a rock wall, no cave like I had just casually walked through to get in.

• 63 posts
    September 28, 2016 7:58 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

What does everyone else think? Would you like to see a return to zones like this? I know I would.

Sure would!

• 151 posts
    September 28, 2016 8:19 AM PDT

Fulton said:

I don't mind one-way entrances as long as they make sense. Like you have to jump down a well or hole to enter, so there is no way back up, and you are well aware of that before you enter. 

Don't recall what game it was, but I found a cave entrance and entered. Quickly realized I could not survive in there and turned around to see a rock wall, no cave like I had just casually walked through to get in.

Possibly even some type of notice when you get close to the edge of a hole or something that drops you into a zone like this.

"You notice a dark passage leading underground.  There does not appear to be any way to get out if you fall in." {insert whatever colorful text you want, I'm not a writer}

• 34 posts
    September 28, 2016 8:59 AM PDT

In EverQuest, Chardok was like this as well (though the run to its zoneout was much less threatening than the run in Sebilis, if memory serves correctly).

Sebilis and Chardok were popular zones, but Veeshan's Peak was revered.

It would be interesting to see a couple zones command such reverence among all the other less... entrapping... options.

The Plane of Fear is another one-way entrance that comes to mind (though still more forgiving than Veeshan's Peak, allowing gates and ports). That zoneout was in the Amygdalan temple (a multi-floor maze-like structure full of harm-touching mobs) -- good luck reaching that alive in a full spawn... Things that make you think twice (or three or four times) before entering...

"This place needs exit signs!"