Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Perspective: Spirit of EQ or Innovative/New?

• 48 posts
    September 23, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

I was telling a friend who once played EQ1 with me about Pantheon and his response after viewing the details and site was essentially, "EQ1 with massaged lore and mildly current tech... we'll see." (frown)

I didn't see it that way at all, but it does beg the question:

If you had to list the ways that Pantheon is NOT like EQ1, the ways that it is new/different/unique, what would they be?

I really want a list to rub my friend's nose in... but I'm having trouble coming up with it. Help me out?

• 2138 posts
    September 23, 2016 10:53 AM PDT

(pls feel free to elaborate)

1. Perception system. The environment will aid/tell the story depending on how you interact with it (you notice somehting by that broken piller)

2. Environmental effects. Not just weather. (If there's snow on the ground, you'll need a heavy coat)

3. Situational gear ( someone elaborate)

4. Mana environments / different colored mana (1st. twitch stream, the one where the group gets wiped by the Boss- by suprise!- they never lost aggro lol!)

Those are the definites I can say so far.

• 33 posts
    September 23, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

5. Prodigy System

6. Bringing back corpse runs, trains, death with penalties.

• 668 posts
    September 23, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

We know that it will hold a lot of the EQ values that made sense, ones already disclosed ( i.e. slower leveling, death penalty, difficult mobs, open world competition or collaberation, trinity class system, Social gaming, etc..)

I can give my two cents on possible differences:

AI technology, combat system, graphics, perception questing, Prodigy alts, crafting system, lore, certain races,

This post was edited by Pyye at September 23, 2016 11:39 AM PDT
    • 121 posts
    September 23, 2016 12:31 PM PDT
    I would go with all those things listed above. I would also say that I feel when it comes to things like death penalty, soloability, leveling curve ect that it's more in between EQ and Vanguard. Old school flavor but not quite as hardcore as the original EQ.
    • 58 posts
    September 23, 2016 2:06 PM PDT

Random1 said:

I was telling a friend who once played EQ1 with me about Pantheon and his response after viewing the details and site was essentially, "EQ1 with massaged lore and mildly current tech... we'll see." (frown)

If you had to list the ways that Pantheon is NOT like EQ1, the ways that it is new/different/unique, what would they be?

I really want a list to rub my friend's nose in... but I'm having trouble coming up with it. Help me out?

There are people that already answered major points in difference. But one must remember the same innovator that brought EQ is bringing Pantheon. So there will be alot of similarities and what I like about it including what other posters wrote is the simple fact that they want to bring this as social as possible and mixed with how this game will immerse you in the world it can't get any better than that. 

No more way points for quests no more auction house no more easy travel. This game will be innovative in its old way of doing things. And on top of that the world already looks amazing. The immersion will be sensational.

At one point if I remember also reading but not certain  it was talking about voice chat in the game too so if that's the case no more third party TS or any other running in the background that would change the immersion experience.

I believe the guys are putting high expectations hoping they will achieve every goal they set themselves out to do!

Besides ain't all the other games even wow based on EQ anyways lol

This post was edited by Beez at September 23, 2016 6:36 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    September 23, 2016 2:36 PM PDT
    Even though the class line up is pretty traditional. Expect a couple of suprises like the weather control abilities hinted about Druid.

Possibly synergy type abilities, and level trials.

• 187 posts
    September 23, 2016 3:08 PM PDT

Here is a list of the differences the team has released so far in their Pantheon Differences. I think the implications of even just a few of these (e.g. colored mana, situational gear, ineractive environments, dynamic world, ect.) gauruntees that Pantheon will be a much different game than EQ. Pantheon will be built on the shoulders of past giants, but with modern implementation and unique creativity and innovation. It has the intention of revolutionizing the MMO standard - that doesn't happen without uniqueness. 

Tell you friend to hang in there. Once he/she sees footage of one of these new mechanics in play, (he/she)'ll turn that frown upside down. :D

This post was edited by Syntro at September 23, 2016 3:11 PM PDT
    • 172 posts
    September 23, 2016 5:26 PM PDT

I agree with the posters above.  This game is going to feel like EQ1, but will not be it.

One more way it which it will be different:   I am quite certain tradeskills are going to be much richer, user friendly, and integrated than in EQ.

• 40 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:37 PM PDT

And you could add graphism in the list too. 

• 1434 posts
    September 23, 2016 8:06 PM PDT

The thing about Pantheon new tech and design features is that they are still built on the same foundation and totally compatible with classic EQ. For reasons, they don't want Pantheon to be pinned down as an "eq clone" just like they don't want its possibly massive "niche" audience label from deterring mainstream players from giving it a go.

These are smart decisions from a business and marketing standpoint.

I think the game could have a wider appeal with deeper systems and more moving parts, but in the end that its the adherence to the underlying EQ design philosophy that will make or break the game.

• 86 posts
    September 23, 2016 8:20 PM PDT

I also agree with the differences listed above and would like to add the social aspect to the list.  Blending new and old players, and new and old game characteristics should make for an interesting social experience.

• 578 posts
    September 23, 2016 8:30 PM PDT

I think it is still too early to detail ALL of the ways Pantheon will differ from EQ but a lot of people have covered some of the ways here in this thread. Another way to look at things is by looking at what Pantheon won't do that EQ did. The global AH is a BIG discussion atm and though I'm pretty sure PRotF won't have a global AH I don't think it will have a bazaar either. I think PRotF will try to feature something new and different for bartering and trading and the EC tunnels of yore and/or the Bazaar will not be present. Some form of trading will exist so players do not have to physically trade their items them self while also not needing to leave their PC on hours of the night so their trader can post up either.

I'm pretty sure we won't be teaching each other 20+ different languages.

My memory is a tad fuzzy so I'm sure there are other things that PRotF WON'T bring over from those games. Maybe someone else can help me with these...

• 2138 posts
    September 24, 2016 6:21 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

*eyes well up and lower-lip quivers* I hope languages play some part.

When British explorers first went to Australia, they ran into a group of native aborigines for the first time. At that moment a man-sized, rabbit like creature hopped by that carried its young in a pouch on its stomach!. The british asked out loud "WHAT is THAT?!" To which the aborigines replied "Kan-guru?". It was only years later when a priest learned the aborigine language that they learned "Kan-guru" meant "what did you say?".

OK that's a joke, but I kind of like the idea of market and- newfanfgled language type- barriers/limitations.

• 432 posts
    September 24, 2016 9:44 AM PDT

Manouk said:

NoobieDoo said:

+1 .

It has been a huge disappointement to me when this excellent idea of language skills in EQ finally appeared to be totally useless and people stopped using it . Dragon speak anybody ?

Yet scrolls and ruins with writings in ancient or strange languages have such a HUGE potential for lore and quests ....

• 194 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:16 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

+1 .

It has been a huge disappointement to me when this excellent idea of language skills in EQ finally appeared to be totally useless and people stopped using it . Dragon speak anybody ?

Yet scrolls and ruins with writings in ancient or strange languages have such a HUGE potential for lore and quests ....

I agree.  The pressence of languages seems like something that would tie in very neatly with the perception system being developed.  I could easily see a scenario where walking by some writings on a wall wouldn't trigger a message unless you had developed adequate skill in the language.

I think gaining language skill should revolve around more than just sitting in a group spamming each other though.  There could be quest lines devoted to gathering relevant scrolls used for studying the language, or for gaining faction with NPC's who will reward you by teaching you parts of it.

• 3016 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:57 AM PDT

Random1 said:

First off,  Pantheon is being built with Unity and other up to date tech. (pretty sure if your friend looks at the listings on our landing page he'll get a better idea.)  Not Win 3.1 apps.    hehehe  Better tech today than in the late 1990s of course the graphics and the computers to run this game will be higher tech etc. :)   We have new lore,  not lore created in 1996.   New writers, new team..  and some great ideas.   That's why I put my donation in.  I support this game because I am tired of all the games out now, where you walk two steps, get a pat on the head and a cookie for finding the NPC with the exclamation point over its head.    This game will have challenge...the current games out all encourage solo play.   I would like to participate in an online community where we work together as a team for our goals.      Your friend has a choice...try the game out when it releases,  decide for himself whether it merits his further attention...or don't.  :)  Up to him in the end. :)  

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at September 24, 2016 12:14 PM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    September 24, 2016 12:03 PM PDT

Manouk said:

NoobieDoo said:

When British explorers first went to Australia, they ran into a group of native aborigines for the first time. At that moment a man-sized, rabbit like creature hopped by that carried its young in a pouch on its stomach!. The british asked out loud "WHAT is THAT?!" To which the aborigines replied "Kan-guru?". It was only years later when a priest learned the aborigine language that they learned "Kan-guru" meant "what did you say?".

OK that's a joke, but I kind of like the idea of market and- newfanfgled language type- barriers/limitations.

I LOVED learning languages off my friends in EQ,  sit on the boat and spam languages at each other...granted being that I was on dial-up at the time,  I would get knocked off the boat from time to time and sometimes even die,  but it was all part of the EQ experience.   I do hope there is some element of language learning to be had...eventually,  maybe not at release but later. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at September 24, 2016 12:03 PM PDT
    • 25 posts
    September 25, 2016 8:23 AM PDT

Dont forget ... ITS not a hand holding cartoon that will give you an achevment for passing gass...

I have been there in 1999 at end of beta, and the launch of EQ,  6 years of great fun ,I was invited to early beta to VG. When there was only one starting city and two playable classes.. My Wife and I  stayed In VG till sunsetting .. We played every mmo that has launched ... And I will tell you Brads MMo's have always had the glimmer.. Hum That  MOXY.. To push you as a player, To go where all the cookie cutter MMos to date are scared to take its players .. I have always had no trubles with Feeling I am in The boots of my charature, Or running for my life ...  You just became lunch to that dragon....

so simpley tell your friend the prof is in the puding... cuz Its always been there for meny of us

Longshanks The King of England!!!

• 9115 posts
    September 25, 2016 5:42 PM PDT

Longshanks said:

Dont forget ... ITS not a hand holding cartoon that will give you an achevment for passing gass...

I have been there in 1999 at end of beta, and the launch of EQ,  6 years of great fun ,I was invited to early beta to VG. When there was only one starting city and two playable classes.. My Wife and I  stayed In VG till sunsetting .. We played every mmo that has launched ... And I will tell you Brads MMo's have always had the glimmer.. Hum That  MOXY.. To push you as a player, To go where all the cookie cutter MMos to date are scared to take its players .. I have always had no trubles with Feeling I am in The boots of my charature, Or running for my life ...  You just became lunch to that dragon....

so simpley tell your friend the prof is in the puding... cuz Its always been there for meny of us

Longshanks The King of England!!!

All good my friend and fixed :)