Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Gear effects/stats by slot

• 86 posts
    September 22, 2016 12:02 AM PDT

Would it matter to you if a pair of boots gave see-invis, a helmet had +strength, or some vambraces improved runspeed?  I guess I got used to how EQ designed gear early on, only occasionally seeing an oddball item that seemed out of place.

• 172 posts
    September 22, 2016 1:34 AM PDT

I think from a standpoint of not just immersion but for it to just overall make sense that items should be relevant to the stats they provide.  Like if i have a breastplate and a pair of gloves i would expect the breastplate to be heavy on armor and my HP and or Mana for my survivability. With the gloves you might expect an increase of str. or maybe mana or agility/dexterity but i dont think having a pair of magical gloves should allow me to see the invisible or a pair of gloves that provides intelligence, that would make sense for a face slot (EQ) or a helmet slot in my opinion.

Honestly i think i would cringe if i got a pair of boots that increased my str.  In my head just thinking why would my boots have anything to do with how strong i am instead of my agility/deftness? 

I think that might create confusion too if they decided to throw random stats around on to pieces of gear.  I am sure there will be a rhyme to their reason though if thats the case.

• 78 posts
    September 22, 2016 3:11 AM PDT

I personally don't mind gear with some out of the ordinary stats thrown in.

I can imagine an apprentice enchanter using any old gear to pratice their spells.

Or a warrior who rolled 10 on str as starting stats (old skool DnD represent!) wanting to employ the services of an enchanter to buff str on every piece.

Poor buggers usually have to die for us to get that item, but... they probably deserved it. [I love flavour text on items for this reaason - /r/backstory_gone_wild].

• 86 posts
    September 22, 2016 3:52 AM PDT

I think we should be careful assigning attributes to armor slots because that limits options down the road.  If HP only came on BP and leg slots, I can now only have 2 HP items.  

Same applies to dexterity or what have you, it limits how I build my character.  Is it more "realistic" for only face slots to give see-invis?  sure.  Realism isnt always better though.

I think that typically certain attributes can be "softly" assigned to particular equip slots, but by no means should it be absolute.  There should always be exceptions.

Aayden said:

Honestly i think i would cringe if i got a pair of boots that increased my str.  In my head just thinking why would my boots have anything to do with how strong i am instead of my agility/deftness? 

This post was edited by Greattaste at September 22, 2016 4:28 AM PDT
    • 172 posts
    September 22, 2016 4:54 AM PDT

Greattaste said:

I think we should be careful assigning attributes to armor slots because that limits options down the road.  If HP only came on BP and leg slots, I can now only have 2 HP items.  

Same applies to dexterity or what have you, it limits how I build my character.  Is it more "realistic" for only face slots to give see-invis?  sure.  Realism isnt always better though.

I think that typically certain attributes can be "softly" assigned to particular equip slots, but by no means should it be absolute.  There should always be exceptions.

Aayden said:

The point was that instead of magical obscure attributes on something like boots increasing how much damage i do with a weapon or how much weight i can carry, i think it would make sense to put it on a another piece of armor thats all.  Also, i never mentioned anything about the attributes pretaining to the gear needing to be "realistic" i might cringe at it with my own opinion but that doesnt make the idea of putting an obscure attribute on any piece of armor a bad idea.

• 1778 posts
    September 22, 2016 7:11 AM PDT

I dont think stats should be tied to a specific piece of gear at all. Also I would be n favr of some gear giving effects or directly effecting certain abilities as opposed to direct stats.

• 1921 posts
    September 22, 2016 7:22 AM PDT

Put in sanity caps. Let the player decide what goes where. Put in sanity caps.  Done. :)

• 201 posts
    September 22, 2016 8:23 AM PDT

It seems silly that magical gloves that mystically increase the strength of the wearer are ludicrous, but a magical chestplate that mystically increases the strength of the wearer is ok?  Seriously?  Let's be realistic here.  It's all fantasy anyway, so what's the difference between a stat on one piece or another.  I have zero issue with boots of see invis, and helmets of dexterity, etc. 

This post was edited by antonius at September 22, 2016 8:26 AM PDT
    • 613 posts
    September 22, 2016 12:52 PM PDT

antonius said:

It seems silly that magical gloves that mystically increase the strength of the wearer are ludicrous, but a magical chestplate that mystically increases the strength of the wearer is ok?  Seriously?  Let's be realistic here.  It's all fantasy anyway, so what's the difference between a stat on one piece or another.  I have zero issue with boots of see invis, and helmets of dexterity, etc. 

agreed.  It used to be called embueing.  Didnt matter what stat or effect is bumped it was better than what you ahd before.  Now when it came to full sets then this becomes  intersting. 

Ox

• 105 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:11 AM PDT

I wouldn't have a problem with any stat on any item, if a helmet can magically make me more intelligent then why can't a pair of socks?

• 121 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:30 AM PDT
    It wouldn't bother me. I imagine that if an item is magically enchanted then as long as it's in contact with my body, the magic can flow thru me to the part it affects. That said, it would obviously make more sense to have run speed on boots ect but it's not a big deal.
    • 173 posts
    September 23, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

It botheres me not what stats may be attached to what peice of gear.  After all, it's magic :)

• 839 posts
    September 25, 2016 8:10 PM PDT

I dont thnk it matters too much, to mne gear stats are like a shaman buff being cast on you except its constant while your wearing it so the piece of armour the buff s coming from doesnt seem to be too important as to where it is, and just for fun based on the location of a piece of armour needing to be specfic to the attribute how would they work with jewlery!? +10 finger strength! :p  I'll be flippin the bird like a boss!