Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

My hopes for Pantheon

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2016 6:42 PM PDT
    The things i hope for in Pantheon is that they dont use a achivement system or anything like that to show what you have done, I hope that the items and rewards are the way to show what you have done. I love it in games when you can look at a player and see that they have done something realy hard or time consuming.

And even tho the community dont like the idea of flying I love the idea of an flying mount or something that is only obtainable by boing an epic quest that is realy hard and maby only drops at random from a powerfull mob. And I'd love to se some show of spells in that way to like a spell that turns you into a wolf :) just to show of and for traveling.

When it comes to party and grouping I'm hoping that the tank can't hold like five mobs in many MMO the tank can hold so many mobs that the group dont feel like there is any danger.

Then my last wish is that professions are usefull make it so a black smithing can repair weapon and thats the way to fix them outside cityes.

Thats the main things im hoping for in Pantheon what do you think do you agree or not ^^

Ps. Im sry if my English is bad its my second language and i have dyslexia so just ask if I need to refrase something :)

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2016 7:58 PM PDT
    I have to add that I'd love if they had the same way of telling the lore as they do with Dark Souls where you read the lore on loot and the place where it drops also tell a story
    • 8 posts
    September 16, 2016 8:18 PM PDT

hello reddit buddy! :)

• 4 posts
    September 16, 2016 8:21 PM PDT
    Hello ^^
    • 63 posts
    September 16, 2016 11:47 PM PDT

I hope flying is included in the game. I have vivid memories of astonishing aerial views of parts of Qalia in Vanguard.

For some players, flying is simply a convenience. For others, it's another way to deeply appreciate the environment. If I recall correctly, players in Vanguard who did not own a flying mount could essentially rent one from a vendor and control it at will for a limited time - only a minute or two - and I like that model of compromise between limitations and convenience.

This post was edited by AlannaTheFair at September 16, 2016 11:50 PM PDT
    • 500 posts
    September 17, 2016 2:45 AM PDT

AlannaTheFair said:

I hope flying is included in the game. I have vivid memories of astonishing aerial views of parts of Qalia in Vanguard.

For some players, flying is simply a convenience. For others, it's another way to deeply appreciate the environment. If I recall correctly, players in Vanguard who did not own a flying mount could essentially rent one from a vendor and control it at will for a limited time - only a minute or two - and I like that model of compromise between limitations and convenience.

I also love to admire the world from a lofty perch.  I always find myself climbing to the summit of a distant peak, or the top of the tallest tower I can find, just to sit and enjoy the view. However, I really don't want flying mounts as a form of fast travel that allows you to bypass the dangers you would possibly face by traversing the same path overland.  Perhaps having hotair balloons  that you could rent from a vendor would be a compromise that wouldn't be problematic.  These balloons could be tethered in place and allow one to obtain beautiful panoramic views of the immediate area.  You could also, if feeling a bit adventurous, opt to have the tether released and sail across the countryside.  This option would, however, have its own risk involved.  You would be at the mercy of the prevailing winds, having no control over where you will touch down, only when you will do so.  This could lead to some, shall we say, interesting travels.  Maybe you will find some distant and forgotten dungeon, or ancient ruins if you are bold enough to let fate set your course.  However, fate isn't always kind, and you could find yourself set down in the lair of some fearsome and powerful beast, or the hunting grounds of a vicious tribe of locals that have a keen aversion to trespassers.  Do you roll the dice and hope for the best, or play it safe and stay tethered in a safe place to enjoy the view? 

• 173 posts
    September 17, 2016 5:46 AM PDT

I love the idea of flying.  It was one of my fave things to do in VG when I wasn't sitting in front of a forge :)

• 763 posts
    September 17, 2016 6:20 AM PDT

'Things it would be nice to see added in PTF'

but also :

'... that are cheap to develop and add!'

1. TAUNT

It needs a little love. Perhaps to be developed so that, like other skills, it needs to be trained or 'focused on' to be truly effecctive. Not a nerf, but making sure any old tank cannot just hit the '2' key and suddenly keep every enemy perfectly taunted. You want to be more of a 'main tank', then train that taunt skill up ... get that '+2 mobs' AA upgrade ... choose that 'taunt gem' to stick in your shield augment slot etc. even then, it should be about judging 'how taunted' mobs are with you! (Super-cheap-ish to implement)

Nice would be for tanks to get a form of 'taunt vision'. Perhaps some 'effect' or visible cue for tanks (not visible to anyone without 'aggro-management skills') so that they can try to 'judge' (roughly, perhaps - based on skill) how aggroed mobs are on them. Should they hold off on the taunt? Should they use a low-power AE-taunt or a high-power single-target one? With their 'aggro-vision' (or whatever it would end up looking like) they can now make a better judgement about their professional skill and how to play it. (Would need a fair bit of effort to implement)

2. STAMINA

What I would like to see is proper application of 'stamina' (or some equivalent statistics). What does this mean?

Swimming

If I decide to swim across an ocean... I see my stamina slowly dropping but I keep swimming. After a while I am getting alarmed at how low my stamina has got. Perhaps I should turn back? Unfortunately, it seems I have swam out too far and after a while I end up drowning. In other words - your stamina is limited. Watch it!

Note: some mechanism needs to be put in place for bodies to be 'washed ashore' after a while. (Would need a fair bit of effort to implement)

Climbing

Running along heading uphill should be hard work. Carrying a massive backpack full of iron ore is going to tire you out! Have stamina usage rates be affected by the environment. Sprinting along uphill with a full backpack is going to drop your stamina like a brick! (Would need a fair bit of effort to implement and balance)

Environment

Stamina regen rates should be affected by the environment. In a massively hot place and thirsty? Your stamina regen rate will suffer. Now those 'sucky' stamina (both stat and regen) buff spells are starting to look less sucky, huh! Not eaten in the last 3 days cos you are a (very smelly, I imagine) monk who has been camped out watching for Lord Nagafen to repop for 3 weeks now? Well, dont expect your stamina to regen any time soon! (Would need only a bit of effort to implement)

3. Give me a break .... still thinking!

...Perhaps you guys can add more?

Evoras, Overthinker

• 148 posts
    September 17, 2016 7:57 AM PDT

Flying mounts don't really work in a zone based game such as Pantheon due to needing set boundries and zone lines. Flying mounts also increases the difficulty of the world design due to not being able to hide things with geometry. If this was going to be a seemless world such as Vanguard or WoW, then I'd be for flying mounts but since its zone based like EQ I'd actually prefer no mounts.

• 63 posts
    September 17, 2016 7:51 PM PDT

Grymmlocke said:

Perhaps having hotair balloons that you could rent from a vendor would be a compromise that wouldn't be problematic. These balloons could be tethered in place and allow one to obtain beautiful panoramic views of the immediate area. You could also, if feeling a bit adventurous, opt to have the tether released and sail across the countryside. This option would, however, have its own risk involved. You would be at the mercy of the prevailing winds, having no control over where you will touch down, only when you will do so. This could lead to some, shall we say, interesting travels. Maybe you will find some distant and forgotten dungeon, or ancient ruins if you are bold enough to let fate set your course. However, fate isn't always kind, and you could find yourself set down in the lair of some fearsome and powerful beast, or the hunting grounds of a vicious tribe of locals that have a keen aversion to trespassers.

Those are wonderful ideas, Grymmlocke. I love them!

• 47 posts
    October 22, 2016 11:13 AM PDT

Love your post, Skip

Achievements in EQ SUCK now lol

They are - IMO - just another source of comparison. We always KNEW others had accomplished more than me... but now they can actually LINK to the whole server what they've accomplished! lol

I'm certainly hoping for a high level of artistic uniqueness in armor and clothing. That Epic level Breastplate SHOULD have a UNIQUE appearance. So everyone CAN know that you did this-or-that quest /nod

I absolutely hope we get flying mounts! :)

Played Vanguard long enough to get to rent a few. AWESOME!! And I'm guessing they will work far better in Pantheon. Not sure how they'll put them in game so they don't become common tho... and hope they aren't SO HARD to obtain that only a few hardcore raiding guilds ever get them. Think they should be quested. An Epic quest of some sort. Doable by ALL with some help from friends and guildies :)

Oh! You want some SoW! ;) I think Kilsin said somewhere that Spirit of Wolf is already in the game. Wolf speed and wolf illusion if it's like the EQ original :D

Brad and his team are commited to class balance and interdependency. You're gonna need a chanter/mezzer and off tanks if you have more than 1 or 2 mobs I'll bet! We're all gonna need each other :)

Brad did a great job with crafting in Vanguard I thought. I'm sure he'll give us a great crafting system again. Sounds like you intend to be a Blacksmith? Me too! :)

Your English is great! I applaude all non-English speakers who get in here and write posts. I don't speak a second language. I'm always impressed by "foreigners" who speak their language AND OURS! /salute :)

• 633 posts
    October 22, 2016 12:36 PM PDT

I like the idea of flying, but only if the game was originally made with it in mind.  Having to artificially impose limitations to prevent content from being easy by just flying over it is lame to me.

• 1434 posts
    October 22, 2016 4:54 PM PDT

I don't want to fly in a game that isn't designed around it. It leads to the world feeling smaller and circumventing the dangers that should be associated with travel. Now if flying meant having to dodge monsters that could potentially dismount you and send you falling to your death, then maybe.

Gliding could be a possibility though.

• 47 posts
    October 22, 2016 11:20 PM PDT

Dragons... Griffons... countless other flying creatures to choose from :)

Vanguard had flying mounts!

They don't spoil the game if you don't have access to them until long after you've mastered you're home continent or region. AND... you can keep them ... subdued by adding natural predators into the game. Spawn them anywhere you don't want PCs overflying ;)

I'm like many others... I do NOT want fast and easy travel to SKIP participating in the game. But... there are times when 50 minute runs are just NOT conducive to gameplay. :(

• 1303 posts
    October 23, 2016 9:11 AM PDT

Qendiil said:

Dragons... Griffons... countless other flying creatures to choose from :)

Vanguard had flying mounts!

They don't spoil the game if you don't have access to them until long after you've mastered you're home continent or region. AND... you can keep them ... subdued by adding natural predators into the game. Spawn them anywhere you don't want PCs overflying ;)

I'm like many others... I do NOT want fast and easy travel to SKIP participating in the game. But... there are times when 50 minute runs are just NOT conducive to gameplay. :(

That's true right up until the next expansion comes out. And the only way to curb it is silly, unbelievable and gimmicky mechanics, like saying you have to buy an expensive license to fly over the new continent, which is only available to you when you hit level X. 

• 1434 posts
    October 23, 2016 9:57 AM PDT

@ Feyshtey Good points.

I think its more than that though. Flying to me has always seemed very gimmicky in and of itself. We're talking about games where the content is generally designed around the ground, not in the air. Just the fact that you are flying over it, unhindered, seems like a really bad idea to me. They spent all this time telling you a story, creating a believable world where the narrative is actually taking place, and you are flying over it to reach destinations. If the game isn't designed to be taking place in the sky, it just doesn't make sense to me.

In Vanguard it started okay by only allowing temporary rentals. Beyond that it made no sense.

This post was edited by Dullahan at October 23, 2016 9:59 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    October 23, 2016 12:46 PM PDT

@ Dullahan

I cant argue with anything you've said, but I do have to admit that I think flying in game is fun :)   But for a controllable environment, your points are perfectly valid. Sacrafices must be made for stability and longevity.

• 668 posts
    October 23, 2016 6:31 PM PDT

I don't look at Pantheon as a flying mount type game in my opinion...  Only way I would accept it is it is a benefit way later in the game, high level, and you have completed a LOT of specific requirements in each zone To get the luxury of even using one.

This post was edited by Pyye at October 23, 2016 6:33 PM PDT
    • 70 posts
    October 23, 2016 6:40 PM PDT

I love flying in games and it seems kinda rare lately.  I have fond memories of flying many miles in Vanguard.  A game should be so vast that you will need to be able to fly to even hope to get to your next destination.

I also hope they make crafting very hard, fun, and rewarding the same way that Vanguard was.  I am soooo tired of easy and boring crafting systems that get the same complaints about how boring it is and please make it faster so it's funner (even tho that would just make it boring quicker).

I would love to see a rewarding and slow leveling system.  Either use based or level based, as long as it is very slow and very rewarding.  I love to develop my character.  If it moves too fast, then it feels cheap and too easy.

I hope there is a great housing system.  Vanguard had a wonderful housing system that made it so getting your house was a huge accomplishment.  Building it from the ground up took a long long time and alot of work and expense.

Don't forget about great boats and yachts as in Vanguard as well.  My carpenter will be sawing up thousands of trees to prepare for his skills to build a beautiful fishing boat!