Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Please let me buff my guards!

• 13 posts
    September 9, 2016 10:45 AM PDT

I am an Ogre shaman.  I have just spawned in my starting city.  I run around for a while doing newbie things and introducing myself to my fellow ogre players and shop keepers.  I am in awe of the city and culture we've created here.  I leave my city in search of adventure and I come home to find some snot nosed elf killing my hard working city guards! 

And there's nothing I can do about it...

Please let me buff my guards so I can watch that snot nozed elf eat it.

That is all :)

(P.s. No offense was meant towards elves or elf lovers.  You're all just ninnies, and easy to pick on.)

This post was edited by renfillas at September 9, 2016 10:45 AM PDT
    • 148 posts
    September 9, 2016 10:53 AM PDT

Why wouldn't you be able to? Pretty sure I remember being able to heal / buff guards in early EQ

• 211 posts
    September 9, 2016 10:55 AM PDT

Definitely!

• 1095 posts
    September 9, 2016 11:00 AM PDT

I used to get the Priest of Discord to fight the Kelethin Guards lol

• 13 posts
    September 9, 2016 11:29 AM PDT

You can't buff the guards in EQ.  They're protected.  At least they were at launch.  You could charm them I think, then buff them, but not normally.  Same thing on P99.

This post was edited by renfillas at September 9, 2016 11:30 AM PDT
    • 148 posts
    September 9, 2016 12:21 PM PDT

renfillas said:

You can't buff the guards in EQ.  They're protected.  At least they were at launch.  You could charm them I think, then buff them, but not normally.  Same thing on P99.

Hmm, I remember being able to cast buffs and heals on guards in EQ without issue. Can't really find anything online one way or another though

• 86 posts
    September 9, 2016 1:15 PM PDT

This would be neat... I like it.

• 1434 posts
    September 9, 2016 4:35 PM PDT

As long as they flag guard npcs as unique and don't allow ALL npcs to be buffed and healed. That would lead to all kinds of griefing. Could be even more problematic if guards were itemized (including rare spawns/rare drops), but I could see allowing players to help defend them. That leads to debate as to whether a player shouldn't be able to aid any group they have faction with though. Imagine if you raised your faction with upper guk in EQ and were able to heal your froglok friends. Would have been a mess. So where do you draw the line?

Personally I think it would be good for any guard unrelated to a major quest to be capable of being healed. I think its good for RP and immersion purposes to be able to oppose the killing of guards in your own city, even if it leads to drama between players.

This post was edited by Dullahan at September 9, 2016 4:40 PM PDT
    • 781 posts
    September 9, 2016 4:59 PM PDT

/Agree  Yes, I loved buffing the guards.  Could lead to a plus in faction hits by helping defend that city during a seige

• 166 posts
    September 9, 2016 5:24 PM PDT
    Yes you should be able to heal and buff not only guards but any kind of NPCs. Maybe this should be restricted to NPC you have a friendly relation with. The other way round you should be able to reveive buffs and healing from friendly NPCs.
    • 172 posts
    September 9, 2016 7:37 PM PDT

Yes, you sure could buff the guards in EQ1.  You could cast damage shields on the mobs in the newbie zone too.  And heal them!

I used to go to areas where players would run through invis-ed, and I would pick out a mob about half way through, and cast see-invis on it.  I was bad in my youth....

This post was edited by JDNight at September 9, 2016 7:38 PM PDT
    • 184 posts
    September 9, 2016 8:11 PM PDT

Aich said:

I used to get the Priest of Discord to fight the Kelethin Guards lol

Yeah, I use to do that too. It was hard to pull off and I died many times, but damn it was an awesome fight watching the Woodelf Guards swarm him and they would be in a stalemate for a while but eventually they would get him... Good times... Hope to see some fun entertainment like that again...

Rint

• 13 posts
    September 9, 2016 10:12 PM PDT
    certainly, limits would have to be drawn. I'm not looking to grief anyone. I would think guards and townsfolk would be the only real targets, and only then would they "accept" buffs from member of their own race regardless of other races faction work.

And in P99 you cannot buff guards unless you charm them first. I thought that's how it always was back in EQ but I guess it may have been possible at one point. It must have been changed early on though because I remember having to charm them and Enc was my main.
    • 432 posts
    September 10, 2016 2:42 AM PDT

renfillas said:

I am in awe of the city and culture we've created here.  I leave my city in search of adventure and I come home to find some snot nosed elf killing my hard working city guards! 

And there's nothing I can do about it...

Having been a High Elf, I had exactly the same feeling seeing some necromancer abomination killing Felwithe guards at entrance .

It has been very frustrating not being able to support my folks and helplessly watch a slaughter that could have never taken place in a real city where the noise of the fight and calls for help would have brought every single city guard and concerned citizen to the battle .

So I would also like that a player be able to buff, heal and otherwise support the guards and innocent citizens of the city he belongs to .

However I would restrict it only to the NPC of the same race as the PC . Additionnally a friendly faction would be necessary.

The latter is important in order to leave room for scenarios where inside a given category/race both evil and good NPC coexist (remember Qeynos corrupt guards ?) .

In that way both race and faction play a role in defining whom I will want to help and whom not .

Makes completely sense to me that I would want to help members of my people whom I like and who like me while I would be indifferent and sometimes hostile to everything else .

• 16 posts
    September 10, 2016 5:05 PM PDT
    I would be in favor of being able to heal NPC's on a pvp server. Wouldn't want to see this on a pve server where the other player literally has no form of retaliation.
    • 86 posts
    September 11, 2016 8:17 PM PDT
    I agree, on the PvP server, buff and heal all NPCs and or mobs. All the same rules that apply to players should apply to mobs and vice versa. Would be alot of fun. Can nerf it later if it really becomes a problem.