Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Voices for spells/abilities?

• 432 posts
    September 4, 2016 12:31 PM PDT
    Hi all.

Just wanted to see what everyone thought and perhaps bait a response from a dev. #catnip.

In the game Lineage 2 and Baldurs Gate when you cast a spell it was really awesome to hear the arcane language being uttered.

Would you all prefer voices being used in spells and abilities or not?

-Todd
    • 89 posts
    September 4, 2016 12:58 PM PDT

I recently played through most of Baldurs Gate and I thought the spell casting utterances were pretty cool.  I would be in favor of it if it were selectable on or off.  But, you know, it would cost money to produce the voice-overs. And Pantheon isn't a big budget-backed game yet.  So, I wouldn't expect to see it at launch.  Heck, they haven't even written Bard songs yet!

• 1921 posts
    September 4, 2016 1:42 PM PDT

I don't typically play with sound, so hearing actual words spoken?  It's a nice to have for me, but sure, why not?  Don't care personally, but it would be neat.  Obviously, if telegraphs/tells/cue's/wind-ups are going to be verbal from some enemies, I'll have to suck it up and enable at least combat sounds again for Pantheon. ;)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Components_(Spell_Descriptor) talks about the difference between verbal and non verbal (somatic) spell components, such as gestures.

In the lore/official details/videos provided to date, a reference has been made to one area having an atmosphere of 'silence' , with the implication verbal spellcasting would be forbidden/limited/impossible/difficult in that Environment.  So, it seems likely spells that require Invocation wouldn't work there.  Just a theory, though.

• 173 posts
    September 4, 2016 4:01 PM PDT

I think it would be a neat idea.  I would just request you could turn it off should it not be to your liking.

• 200 posts
    September 5, 2016 5:56 AM PDT
    I like it in theory but it would depend greatly on the voices and if it's a nice detail to the spell (in that sense I'd prefer softspoken or whispered) or overwhelmingly present. If it'd be loud (and even more so if it'd be with a nasal accent) I know I'd find it very obnoxious and pray there's a toggle to turn it off. It could be really awesome tho!
    • 86 posts
    September 5, 2016 6:06 AM PDT

Using voices to shout spells would add a lot of flavor to the game.. However, it would also add alot of noise in a raid. Imagine 24 people all in a small aread in a cave shouting. OH THE ECHO....  would go on for days....  :)

This post was edited by Koreno at September 5, 2016 6:07 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    September 5, 2016 6:07 AM PDT
    Would you have voiceovers that differed by race?
    • 363 posts
    September 5, 2016 11:55 AM PDT

Feyshtey said: Would you have voiceovers that differed by race?

Nope! They all sound exactly like Brad!!!

• 163 posts
    September 5, 2016 2:17 PM PDT

tehtawd said: Hi all. Just wanted to see what everyone thought and perhaps bait a response from a dev. #catnip. In the game Lineage 2 and Baldurs Gate when you cast a spell it was really awesome to hear the arcane language being uttered. Would you all prefer voices being used in spells and abilities or not? -Todd

I like this idea. I think this would be a nice edition to the game. It would be more immersive and just suck you right into the action.

• 89 posts
    September 5, 2016 5:48 PM PDT

Koreno said:

Using voices to shout spells would add a lot of flavor to the game.. However, it would also add alot of noise in a raid. Imagine 24 people all in a small aread in a cave shouting. OH THE ECHO....  would go on for days....  :)

A radius option would take care of that.

But, I think it would sound pretty horrifying in a PvP encounter.  Imagine you're in a small skirmish, then suddenly you hear a cacophony of wizards coming over the ridge behind you.  And, as you spin around to see who they are, you notice there's some silent ones with them too, because they got the Tranquil Utterances spell off the Corrupted Golem the night before.

This post was edited by sdcord at September 5, 2016 7:10 PM PDT