Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting and Boss drops immersion suggestion

• 49 posts
    September 3, 2016 11:15 AM PDT

To make the link between boss drops and crafting immersive, I have a suggestion:

1. Most drops are not immediatly usable, or only usable with very negative modifiers due to a bad fitting to your character. Ie. An Ogre worn breastplate would fit a dwarf or human very poorly. The same goes for rings etc.
    2. Each dropped item has a "potential" bonus which can only be applied on a 100% perfect fit to your character.
    3. A smith may help you improve the fitting of plate armour or weapons to your character. The fitting will be harder (trade skill level), the better quality the item you are trying to change the size/form of is. The fitting may be harder or maybe even impossible if changing an ogre breastplate to fit a gnome, as compared to makeing it fit a Barbarian. Other types of crafters will be able to help in the fitting of other sorts of items.
    4. A crafters fitting of an item may prove more or less successfull (randomness + skill level). Ie. a fitted item may gain from 0-100% of the potential bonus. Each fitting attempt will probably add some tear to the items, making the max obtainable bonus less than 100%.
    5. Some items may need fitting by multiple crafter types. For instance it may contain both iron, cloth and gems.

This system will add a natural dependency to and between the crafters in the game, and a natural flow of jobs incomming as characters will need their latest drop fitted.

It also adds immersion as it would be natural for the stuff you have taken off someones corpse or randomly found will not be a perfect fit to your character.

It would make a lot of sense for characters to order items at crafters directly such that the item they buy and the crafter creates is a best possible fit.

This post was edited by BitCrunzh at September 3, 2016 11:19 AM PDT
    • 334 posts
    September 3, 2016 12:23 PM PDT

Some other solutions or concepts that could be used for some bosses:

1. Boss drops rare crafting materials rather than actual items (e.g. in the case of a non-humanoid boss)
    2. Boss drops an unusable armor or weapon piece that can be melted by a crafter or NPC into rare materials which can then be crafted into usable armor/weapons.
    • 14 posts
    September 4, 2016 11:27 AM PDT

Sicario said:

1. Boss drops rare crafting materials rather than actual items (e.g. in the case of a non-humanoid boss)
    2. Boss drops an unusable armor or weapon piece that can be melted by a crafter or NPC into rare materials which can then be crafted into usable armor/weapons.

This #1 Please.  Let me support the statement.  Why would a dragon you just defeated by carrying a vest that a elf could wear?  Wouldn't it make more sense lore wise that he drops "Dragon Scales" for you to make a Dragon Scale tunic out of?  This + Vanguard style crafting would make this game my home forever.

This post was edited by Toredorm at September 4, 2016 11:28 AM PDT
    • 49 posts
    September 4, 2016 12:03 PM PDT

Toredorm said:

Sicario said:

This #1 Please.  Let me support the statement.  Why would a dragon you just defeated by carrying a vest that a elf could wear?  Wouldn't it make more sense lore wise that he drops "Dragon Scales" for you to make a Dragon Scale tunic out of?  This + Vanguard style crafting would make this game my home forever.

I suppose it would depend on the type of encounter. Humanoid sized creatures could drop stuff which with modifications could be used by other races. In other cases such as dragons, I recon that crafting materials would also make great sense.

• 58 posts
    September 6, 2016 4:49 AM PDT
    I love this idea. I was thinking along the same lines as well.
    For example items should be retro fitted for type of race you are. And if you are going from a breast plate that would fit an ogre to a dwarf the excess could be used to fashion bracers for example or maybe use the excess to create some nails or rivets that in the end could use in other projects and this would add some of its magical properties if any to those projects.

I love the idea you find a ring and they can't all be rings like the "one" in lord of the ring where it fits everyone. I love the idea where it would also go by the size of your avatar too.

And the dragon for example is a perfect example the scales on a dragon depending on size should produce alot more crafting materials than just a few and having to wait to kill another to complete the project. But in lieu having an abundant crafting material would mean only so much could be carried away so if you plan on scavenging the kill the prepare to spend a lot of time in the area to scavenge the beast therefore the smell could at track other predator and much strong ones too? I don't know making it interesting. And also making the material heavy to a point only so much can bring brought. And finally in the end just a portion of what was used could become a final product of exquisite level while the rest could become failed jobs but still usage mix and mash with other armor types.