Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

An Idea For Sharing What We Learn In Game

• 86 posts
    September 1, 2016 10:45 AM PDT

I have been playing MMOs since the late 90s when I stumbled upon UO about a year before EQ was released. Every one has numerous fan sites for different purposes. One of these purposes was for sharing information about the games. Maps, Quest walkthroughs, and more. There is another thread about fan sites and I posted there my thoughts and it sparked and idea for pantheon.

Since one of the main focuses of the game is community, I thought is a great way to pass on the things we learn in the game, "in the game" that I feel would help further the development of community.

PLAYER CREATED DOCUMENTS

Books, Maps, Diaries, and more.

First we would need to add crafted items that could be used for these purposes. I dont know what crafting class would make them, but I am sure it could be figured out.
    Players would buy these blank documents and use them to publish their thoughts and share information. Once players create and finalize their documents, they would turn them into an NPC run library.
    Players would then visit the library and purchase the player created documents.

• 112 posts
    September 1, 2016 2:07 PM PDT

love it.

i even like attaching it to a craft, a scribe maybe. of course, like a real scribe, he could write anything in there, his own experiences, someone elses info, even make some thinks up or embellish, as it were. could actually add quite a bit of flavor to the world. fifth hand info about the goblin king, that almost takes on the mythical quality of exageration. please do it.

This post was edited by werzul at September 1, 2016 2:07 PM PDT
    • 334 posts
    September 1, 2016 4:23 PM PDT

Neat concept, but difficult to moderate. There will always be trolls, and even despite the best systems currently available that auto-censor, people are bound to create some nasty stuff.

• 86 posts
    September 1, 2016 6:43 PM PDT

Sicario said:

Neat concept, but difficult to moderate. There will always be trolls, and even despite the best systems currently available that auto-censor, people are bound to create some nasty stuff.

I didnt think about that..... If a way to moderate it could be figured out I really like the concept.

• 334 posts
    September 1, 2016 7:05 PM PDT

I do, too. I think the best surrogate until then are the guilds and online community (this forum, Reddit, etc.). I've always enjoyed being part of guilds that had websites and their own forums where I could post advice and tips or guides and see others' contributions as well.

• 93 posts
    September 1, 2016 10:56 PM PDT

I have always like the idea of being able to create ingame books or documents that you could trade to other players.  It had crossed my mind that it would be very difficult to moderate player created documents to stop any unwanted material being distributed.  However I still think it would be great to have, to be able to share your knowledge in insights in game, it surely can only make the community that much richer because of it.

In regards to the negative aspect of people creating documents that are less than desirable I think it would be a minor thing.  Much like self management of people that abuse others in game, profanity filters, ignore and the like, any unwanted player created documents would not get far and would likely be reported, then VR can get invovled if needed.  In my opinion we should not let the minority stop a good idea from happening.  

Most moderation should be self driven without needing VR to get involved.  Don't like what the person is doing/saying then don't interact with them, put them on ignore etc.

I completely support the idea of having player created documents in game!

~~~ <()> ~~~
    Valor and virtue ride with me, my blade defends the helpless,
    my might upholds the weak, my words speak only truth,
    my wrath undoes the wicked!
    <~ Vaultarn Stormborn ~>

• 86 posts
    September 2, 2016 6:34 AM PDT

Vaultarn said:

I have always like the idea of being able to create ingame books or documents that you could trade to other players.  It had crossed my mind that it would be very difficult to moderate player created documents to stop any unwanted material being distributed.  However I still think it would be great to have, to be able to share your knowledge in insights in game, it surely can only make the community that much richer because of it.

In regards to the negative aspect of people creating documents that are less than desirable I think it would be a minor thing.  Much like self management of people that abuse others in game, profanity filters, ignore and the like, any unwanted player created documents would not get far and would likely be reported, then VR can get invovled if needed.  In my opinion we should not let the minority stop a good idea from happening.  

Most moderation should be self driven without needing VR to get involved.  Don't like what the person is doing/saying then don't interact with them, put them on ignore etc.

I completely support the idea of having player created documents in game!

~~~ <()> ~~~
    Valor and virtue ride with me, my blade defends the helpless,
    my might upholds the weak, my words speak only truth,
    my wrath undoes the wicked!
    <~ Vaultarn Stormborn ~>

I totally agree.

There were player editable books in EQ2 but not really used. I think it was mainly for home decoration. In Pantheon, we could take the concept sooo much further.

1. After turning in a certain number of books to the librarians guild, a quest could unlock.
    2. GMs could create contests
    3. There could be a ratings system for published books.

Imagine you went to the library, picked up a book written by a player. Later that night you get in a raid. You are waiting on everyone to show up. You could open that book you bought and read it.

As time goes on, some authors will become populor and could receive a special title or something.

There are sooo many things we could do to extremely entend the social benefits of such a system.

• 2138 posts
    September 2, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

A "cartography" craft/skill was bandied about. The idea is- initially your skil is low so you have tha ability to draw on parchement or hide a rudimentry map with crude markers- like diagonal arrow with note "NW from zone in, and see a rock" and at the end of the arrow you draw a blob like rock.

But as a craft you can get better at cartography to the point there people may be able to sell maps  (Yay! Muse!), with more detail because of higher skill.

• 86 posts
    September 2, 2016 8:01 AM PDT

Manouk said:

A "cartography" craft/skill was bandied about. The idea is- initially your skil is low so you have tha ability to draw on parchement or hide a rudimentry map with crude markers- like diagonal arrow with note "NW from zone in, and see a rock" and at the end of the arrow you draw a blob like rock.

But as a craft you can get better at cartography to the point there people may be able to sell maps  (Yay! Muse!), with more detail because of higher skill.

Interesting idea.

• 187 posts
    September 2, 2016 8:20 AM PDT

I had a post related to something like this. I'll put some of the content here to spur discussion. We were talking about a "forget" mechanic where skills degraded over time:

It would be cool if this forget mechanic had a statistic associate with it. For example, a character with high wisdom could retain information longer than others. This could potential create a novel information market in Pantheon where the "gurus" of the world broker their acquired knowledge for some coin. Imagine there is a quest which requires the knowledge of a location or NPC name. You could buy this information to enable or progress the quest. There could also be a new "study" skill akin to meditation where characters could reinforce information to avoid forgetting and a "teaching" skill to facilitate the rate at which information is shared. There could also be an interactive journal, similar to a spell book, where limited amounts of information could be transcribed rather than spells such that if there is something you want to ensure doesn't become forgotten, that information could occupy a slot in the journal. Note that transcription could also serve as the vehicle of the distribution of information as the written word. You could transcribe an entry from your own journal, write it on some parchment, and give or sell that to other players. This would also make learning languages really important. Another trade skill could be translating!

This post was edited by Syntro at September 2, 2016 8:34 AM PDT
    • 74 posts
    September 2, 2016 3:25 PM PDT

Project Gorgon has a system like this in game. It's in beta (forever), but I think it is very similar to what you're talking about. It can be done!