Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Hoping for Class Interdependency to Spread Into Crafting.

• 86 posts
    August 25, 2016 12:24 PM PDT

With Pantheon focusing on bringing back class interdependency and community, I am hoping this philosophy is extended into crafting much the way is was in EQ2 at release. Eventually, EQ2 went away from it, but I really liked the way it was at the beginning.

You are a leatherworker and you are going to make some belts. Well, you need some buckles. You had to find a metalworker that made them. 
    An armorer needed leather lining from a leatherworker to make their armor.

To me, the original EQ2 crafting system is the best I have seen in any MMO. The minigame was excelent. Many people hated it and thought it required too much work and effort to do, but I say 'Good'. IMO crafting should be a part of the game you have to work hard at to succeed, not something every single player does flooding the servers with goods. We want our economy to flourish. If everyone can do everything, this wont happen.

• 1303 posts
    August 25, 2016 12:50 PM PDT

I also liked the original EQ2 crafting as it applied to interdependence and depth. But I do recognize that because you could have multiple tiers of quality from any one combine attempt the volume of slightly different items was pretty unweildy. The concept of quality and the mini-game that the system revolved around was far more interesting though. 

I liked that crafting was based on experience rather than random skillups as well. The only way you should create soemthing and learn nothing from it is if it's so trivial that there's nothing to be gained. If the crafting of a thing has even a remote chance of failure there should be some small progress in learning. 

• 22 posts
    August 25, 2016 7:27 PM PDT

I always enjoyed crafting in MMOs more when each profession intermingles with others. My experience with this hails mostly from Vanilla WoW, and while it may not have been as in depth as EQ2's crafting (Did not play EQ2 so no knowledge on my end), there were moments where each profession would benefit from the tools of another.

My sentiments lie with the OP in that I too desire for professions to draw from each other. Interdependacy for crafting is healthy, particularly in a game which wants to be defined by how players must come to rely on the strength of multiple classes working together in a party. It also allows for there to be pocket markets created in certain areas of a profession. For example say a blacksmith creates nails which are a highly demanded item due to their need for leatherworkers. This then makes players feel that their profession is more useful to the game world than simply creating an "endgame" mace or piece of armor. The professions would seem more well rounded and utilized instead of simple, easier to craft items being nothing but stop-gaps between you maxing out your profession for the desired "endgame" items.

That is a very rough example but my point is there is depth created (albeit minor) if professions need to feed off each other in order to thrive to full potential. Not to mention the social interaction this creates amongst players/guilds.

The more chances the game world allows and encourages players to be active within it is a positive. Interdependent professions, much like classes, provide the playerbase with opportunities to be active participants in the game which leads to more social interactions as well as potential friendships/rivalries.

• 510 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:25 PM PDT

I wish you had read the other threads first - lots of talk already of interdependency.  The kind you mentioned?  Not so much.  Early EQ2 crafting SUCKED.  WAY too much interdependency there.  We have been talking about an armor being able to make his armor all on his own.  But if you want special inscribing (+stats), and blessing (buffs/dmage) or imbueing, etc. then make it THAT kind of coworking.  That way an armorer CAN make a finished item without relying on others.  Do some searching on the forums.  You might be suprised...

• 22 posts
    August 26, 2016 3:09 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I wish you had read the other threads first - lots of talk already of interdependency.  The kind you mentioned?  Not so much.  Early EQ2 crafting SUCKED.  WAY too much interdependency there.  We have been talking about an armor being able to make his armor all on his own.  But if you want special inscribing (+stats), and blessing (buffs/dmage) or imbueing, etc. then make it THAT kind of coworking.  That way an armorer CAN make a finished item without relying on others.  Do some searching on the forums.  You might be suprised...

I would agree that having too much interdependency would ruin crafting by making it too cumbersome. I imagine it would be quite silly for a blacksmith to have to turn towards a skinner every time he wanted to make some basic materials.

Even so, I would still desire there to be some (maybe even a rare occurence) crafting items that need multiple professions to complete. At the very least I would prefer not to have a crafting interface that is littered with materials/plans/recipes that go largely unused or forgotten and were only there to fill up space/were items whose sole purpose was to level a player's skill to higher level.

• 173 posts
    August 26, 2016 4:33 AM PDT

I feel that interdependancy should totally exist.  I very much dislike most games now where you can do it all yourslef.  This game is all about TEAM work, and I think that should be apperent in every shpere of the game.  

• 510 posts
    August 26, 2016 7:03 AM PDT