Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

If the ruins don't kill you...

• 9115 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:59 AM PDT

Brrr, I hope you brought a jacket cause if those ruins don't kill you the weather just might!

• 91 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:04 AM PDT

Looks awesome :).

But the golden Question here is, if this place is abandon (it looks like...), who is re-firing the torches, you see there...? *scream_in_paniq*

• 131 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:05 AM PDT

Love that in Terminus we will finally have a world wherein climate and temperatures effect us!  Here's hoping the devs have something up their sleeves to make inventory management tolerable as well!  I'm down with having to find the gear to survive the elements, but my bags are notoriously disorganized.  Are they considering having a seperate gear tab at least, and possibly user set gear sets that are easy to swap in?

Edit:  Thanks for another outstanding screenie btw Kilsin =)

This post was edited by MINX at August 25, 2016 4:07 AM PDT
    • 120 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:11 AM PDT

I love how the trees actually seem to be leaning due to the weight of the snow. Little details like that are the best. :)

Will there be 3D snow in some regions? Not just a thin blanket of snow on the ground, but really thick snow that a little unsuspecting Halfling could fall into?

• 166 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:16 AM PDT

This screenshot is fantastic. I like the graphics of Pantheon, even in this early stage of developement everything looks good. But one question came to my mind. Are this ruins always snowy or is this a screenshot made in winter? Will we have different season an will we see the snow slowly falling in winter and slowly melting in spring?

This post was edited by Landbert at August 25, 2016 4:43 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:41 AM PDT

Nice! What's not to like about a sunny winter day? But, to answer your question...I'm not afraid of ruins. Much rather of those who might inhabit them ;)

• 200 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:45 AM PDT

Ohh it looks nice ... except the lighting. The shadows are too sharp and too pale. Yes yes, i know, it is pre alpha. :p

Greetings

• 1303 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:47 AM PDT
    Really loving the detail here. The snow looks great. Is that dynamic? Meaning, will we see changes by season or points of significant weather change the level of accumulation?
    • 763 posts
    August 25, 2016 4:48 AM PDT

Things I would find fantastic....

1. SERIOUS weather aspects!

A. Can you do snow 3 feet deep (low inertia, high surface tension - ie clumpy) so that moving through the deep snow is like pushing through 3-feet of thick undergrowth (possibly use 'powder' version of water) with few ripples, but some splashes of snow as you tromp through it! PS Even a Ranja could track you through this!!

B. Serious rainfall and snow effects. Massive drop in lighting and view distance from torrential rain ... loud enough to mask stealthy footfalls.

C. Not spot the undead standing stock still until it attacks .... because it is covered by a snow drift.

D. Aradune required to hit the start button on his Fiery Avenger more than one to get it started in the cold wet weather!

2. IMPACT between PC and the weather...

A. Cold diminishing your Fire spells ... Fireballs vaporising huge circles of snow into slush ......

B. Rain reducing your Archery (Bow + Water = bad)

C. Ice making keeping your footing hard work...

D. Actually SEE the rain turn to steam as it lands on my Fire-Pet..... see the snow melt as my fire pet moves through the virgin drifts....

E. Watch as the Froglock gets its tongue stuck frozen on the Tank's chainmail bikini!

PS Ever since The Overthere, Dreadlands etc .... I have always been a bit suspicious of ruins.

I look at ruins and try to categorize them. After all, you know what they say ....

'The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to:

(a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.'

Beware!

EDIT: typos, typos, typos.

This post was edited by Evoras at August 25, 2016 4:49 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

Glad you like it folks :)

We can have dynamic snow that falls and builds on the ground and also affects your character and we can control the seasons but more on that later ;)

• 166 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:47 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

We can have dynamic snow that falls and builds on the ground and also affects your character and we can control the seasons but more on that later ;)

A dynamic weather which affects the character and different seasons sounds fantastic! I'm very curious now and can't wait untill you release more and more information on this as the time comes by.

• 724 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:48 AM PDT

Kilsin said:...more on that later ;)

*sigh*

• 409 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:55 AM PDT

If the ruins don't kill you...  don't worry Kilsin will train you. :)

• 781 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:10 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

/Awesome !  That is what i was going to mention, so much better when the snow is lightly falling around you and building up on the ground.  There are arrows stuck in the ground, so somebody is lurking around here.....torches rather..lol, sorry, didn't have my glasses on..

This post was edited by Kelem at August 25, 2016 7:29 AM PDT
    • 13 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:23 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Amazing, I cannot wait for this.  BTW the screenshot is excellent!  More please :)

• 563 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:36 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Very nice to hear that this will be a thing in pantheon! If I lay down for a few hours will it burry me? That would be pretty funny! :P

• 10 posts
    August 25, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

Yeah, looks like a neat area. I also like the idea of weather having an impact on characters. I also agree with the comments about lighting. It needs some baked lighting around the structures, maybe some colored lighting, maybe a less sunny skybox, some light fog & snow particles. Then I'd be terrified of freezing to death.

• 1778 posts
    August 25, 2016 7:40 AM PDT

Ill be bringing my druid buddy to protect me from the cold!

• 96 posts
    August 25, 2016 7:56 AM PDT

Great looking set of ruins!  They look to be pretty active ruins.  There are plenty of signs of decayed structure, but no rubble on the ground, and those torches wouldn't last more than a season or two if abandoned, much less be standing so well.  Someone has been cleaning up...Where are the brigands hiding??  Best be on guard for an ambush....maybe we should send a sacrificial rogue in to scout the place!

• 432 posts
    August 25, 2016 8:12 AM PDT

Wow, I loved having this in the morning. I've stared at it for atleast 10 minutes now off and on making breakfast, wanting to BE there. I do see some things which can be improved  however. 

There are too many flat shapes. As examples look at the cobbled rocks, the rock formation on the right, even the man made structures are a bit too flat to me. What could be done is to revisit the cobbled rocks and put in twice as number of edges to give them a more rounded feel (don't go river-rock round on us though) And explode some of those pillars of the man-made structure. Ice destroys rocks, pavement, walls. Why not have a few large noticable cracks and fallen pillars with chunks and little rocks on the ground. Water gets into small cracks and when it freezes ...you get it. Ground debree should be see-able or there should be far far far more snow. One of the biggest improvements which could be made to this is a cold fog and sunshafts from the morning light coming in. The fog would carry the illumination of the torches (if you guys have rigging for that) out a little farther showing more contrast. 

As much as I just kinda wailed on this, I really love it. I wish I could take a left and walk down that area and see what else there is, maybe i'd get a nice perception ping. As always, thanks for sharing Kilsin. Your fans are always hungry for more information from the developers. We wouldn't even mind you posting a picture of what you are cooking in your skillet in the morning. Being a part of the magic is fun 

-Todd

• 173 posts
    August 25, 2016 8:47 AM PDT

It is so cool that climate will actually have meaning.  Every thread I read, every screenie that i see only deepen my anxiety to explore Terminus in all it's glory.

• 613 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:37 AM PDT

tehtawd said:

Wow, I loved having this in the morning. I've stared at it for atleast 10 minutes now off and on making breakfast, wanting to BE there. I do see some things which can be improved  however. 

There are too many flat shapes. As examples look at the cobbled rocks, the rock formation on the right, even the man made structures are a bit too flat to me. What could be done is to revisit the cobbled rocks and put in twice as number of edges to give them a more rounded feel (don't go river-rock round on us though) And explode some of those pillars of the man-made structure. Ice destroys rocks, pavement, walls. Why not have a few large noticable cracks and fallen pillars with chunks and little rocks on the ground. Water gets into small cracks and when it freezes ...you get it. Ground debree should be see-able or there should be far far far more snow. One of the biggest improvements which could be made to this is a cold fog and sunshafts from the morning light coming in. The fog would carry the illumination of the torches (if you guys have rigging for that) out a little farther showing more contrast. 

As much as I just kinda wailed on this, I really love it. I wish I could take a left and walk down that area and see what else there is, maybe i'd get a nice perception ping. As always, thanks for sharing Kilsin. Your fans are always hungry for more information from the developers. We wouldn't even mind you posting a picture of what you are cooking in your skillet in the morning. Being a part of the magic is fun 

-Todd

I also noticed the surface and look of it.  I love it and then thought this is not the finished product by any means but somehting is off compared to other shots Kilsin has put up.  Could be just a wierd time and angle thing too. 

Still very cool...no pun intended and keep them coming!!

OX

• 432 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:40 AM PDT

The puns ox, the puns!!

Sent via mobile

-Todd

• 513 posts
    August 25, 2016 10:44 AM PDT

Still - how long before we see some bikini clad warrioress running around?

• 500 posts
    August 25, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

Looks great. But, can we lie on the ground and make snow angels?  That would be really cool... no pun intended :)