Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What are your favourite areas?

• 9115 posts
    August 22, 2016 3:57 AM PDT

What are some of your favourite areas in MMORPGs, for example, desert, snow, forest, oceanic, volcanic, swamps/marsh etc. or do you have another one to share?

• 263 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:01 AM PDT

Swamps from the suggestions but my other is def. Sewers, tunnels or underground ruins or caverns always loved to explore those kind of areas. - You just never know where that damned 10th Rat will be to finish the quest! lol

This post was edited by Yarnila at August 22, 2016 4:02 AM PDT
    • 91 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:11 AM PDT

Snow!

I had my best expiriences in Velious!

I also enjoy all other environments, if they made well. I think, if the environments made well, no matter if its snow, sand, woods, ..., it is fun for everyone. And also its important, are you going to solo, duo, group, raid. Every environment has its up and downs. For example Qyenos Catacombs. The best place with a friend or a small group. Eastern Wastes, perfect for Quadding. Oasis of Marr, brilliant for grouping. Lower Guk, awesome for larger groups, to rule 'em all.

• 9115 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:17 AM PDT

Yarnila said:

Swamps from the suggestions but my other is def. Sewers, tunnels or underground ruins or caverns always loved to explore those kind of areas. - You just never know where that damned 10th Rat will be to finish the quest! lol

Haha, yeah nice mate, I don't mind swampy area and underground caverns/sewers either, best way to travel when your pockets are full of other people's shiny stuff! :D

• 9115 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:18 AM PDT

lyrina said:

Snow!

I had my best expiriences in Velious!

I also enjoy all other environments, if they made well. I think, if the environments made well, no matter if its snow, sand, woods, ..., it is fun for everyone. And also its important, are you going to solo, duo, group, raid. Every environment has its up and downs. For example Qyenos Catacombs. The best place with a friend or a small group. Eastern Wastes, perfect for Quadding. Oasis of Marr, brilliant for grouping. Lower Guk, awesome for larger groups, to rule 'em all.

Yeah, nice man, I like snowy areas too, they mix up the immersion a lot, especially when i typically spend a lot of time in lush green areas like forests :)

• 173 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:23 AM PDT

I'm a forest kinda guy myself.  However I cannot pass up ruins of any sort witout stopping to invesitgate.  Nothing like finding what looks like a pillar or broken tower to discover the entrance to a vast dungeon.

This post was edited by Holdolin at August 22, 2016 4:25 AM PDT
    • 40 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:35 AM PDT

Moors, with monoliths, barrows and hills. Pretty to visit in sunlight but threatening when fog and darkness ascends.

But I frankly like most enviroments as long as they are well made. Calling a few trees with lot of space between them a "wood" is just silly. A lush well made forest with strange plants and maybe some stones that looks like they were a building once compared to what we seen in some MMOs (im looking on you, Lineage) that have something I personally would see as a few trees in a field makes a huge difference.

The enviroment set up the athmosphere of the game. Animals and plants are important parts of that, and I like rare plants that grow in specific enviroments (like aconite that only grow on old gallows hills or a certain flower that grows in cemetaries and only bloom in the light of the full moon).

• 85 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:55 AM PDT

Snow is my favorite by far (in-game, real life meh). Halas and Everfrost Peaks were my second home as a teenager. I'd like to see a few snowy areas that aren't completely barren though (e.g a snow blanketed forest).

• 33 posts
    August 22, 2016 4:56 AM PDT

I'm a dungeon guy. My favorite places typically are indoors. Making my way through to the boss room or to the top of the tower is awesome and so much fun.

• 34 posts
    August 22, 2016 5:05 AM PDT

That's tough to narrow down.

I have a lean towards outdoor open spaces (grasslands, plains, deserts, ocean expanses). If I was to pick a favourite type, that would probably be it.

All of the Pantheon imagery that I have seen so far has been busy (brilliant-looking, but busy), and I'd like to have a look at some 'less busy' areas that complement it.

loke666 said:

But I frankly like most enviroments as long as they are well made.

^ Definitely +1 to that.

• 156 posts
    August 22, 2016 5:31 AM PDT

One of two for me - Snow covered tundra or a spooky underground tomb/labyrinth. I love the ambience associated with both of these.

• 86 posts
    August 22, 2016 5:58 AM PDT

I just watched the movie "Frozen" with my 2 kids.  It brought me back to my time in the blizzard laden lands of Velius.  

To be fair, I also look back on my first EQ1 character, "Madmardagen" with the thickest of rose-colored-glasses. He was a Barbarian Rogue, with a nice gifted 1hb, which I used as a primary weapon (I didnt know any better and the hammer was uber 11/23 or so).  Under the direction of my best friend, who was a veteran, I bought a port and bound in Freeport.  I then set out upon the endless dunes of North Ro.  I died many times but learned the lay of the land.  I progressed and explored beyond North Ro, to one of my absolute favorite zones ever, The oasis of Marr.  It was in that oasis that many corpse runs were made, tears were cried, and keyboards were broken, but that is another story.  

TLDR:  I LOVE

Ice zones (all of Velius),

Desert zones (North/South Ro, Oasis of Marr)

Open plains (Common Lands, Karanas, Dawnshroud Peaks)

Tight cavern zones (Crystal Caverns, Echo caverns, SolB). 

I hate : pretty much all if the."Depths of Darkhollow" zones from EQ1. They were dark twisty, full of water, way too much Z axis for my taste (zones varied from -100 elevation to 200 or more.

This post was edited by Greattaste at August 22, 2016 6:02 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:05 AM PDT

It is so awesome to see so many different areas, I thought it would be a ton of Forest and snow but you proved me wrong! :D

• 151 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:28 AM PDT
    Forest. And I mean a real forest. Check out Ark, that dinosaur hunting/taming survival game. With all of the graphic settings on it is the only game I have ever played that got the feel of a forest/jungle close to right.
    • 99 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:39 AM PDT
    My fav areas are caves dark areas never know when a minotaur maybe around the corner waiting to rip your face off... BTW please let there be Minotaurs
    • 86 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:43 AM PDT

Probably wrong thread.  Just remembered how important the music was in some of my favorite zones.  I remember the Gfay music probably the most.

https://youtu.be/6Pib1DwGsqE 

Commonlands zones or North/South Ro/ Oasis.  It was usually quiet, the music wasnt overly dramatic.

https://youtu.be/DHrN6QC0fig

These tracks definitely contributed to my nostalgia and thus my ranking of favorite zones.

• 781 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:45 AM PDT

Top of a spacious Mountain.  Love looking over the rest of the world and remembering all that has been accomplished to get there and all that still needs to be seen and conquered.  :)   So yeah, lots of mountains for me :) 

This post was edited by Kelem at August 22, 2016 6:46 AM PDT
    • 513 posts
    August 22, 2016 6:54 AM PDT

I don't know if it is my favorite, but I cannot tell you how many times over the past 16 to 17 years I have dreamed about being in South Karana when it is raining.  I don't know why.  I never hunted Quillmane.  I never spent on overwhelming amount of time there.  And yet THIS scenario has popped up repeatedly.

• 187 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:12 AM PDT

Ancient ruins riddled with nuanced lore.

• 644 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:19 AM PDT

Well, for me it's more about the feel of the specific zone than the type of zone.

I love (love, love, love) the old original Northern and Southern deserts of Ro.  It made me feel like I was truly there and *IN* a gigantic sweeping dune-filled desert.  The new version I find not immersiove at all.  I also don't care so much for the Luclin deserts.  But, those original deserts are one of my most cherished memories and places.

I love mazes full of secret passages, like Kedge Keep and Plane of Mischief.

I love big wide open forests like Greater Faydark and Jaggedpine Forest but I didn't like the Burning Woods (because the view was too obstructed) and it was more annoying to walk around than anything.

I loved Crystal Caverns as a mystical cave.

I loved the jungle of Swamp of No Hope but disliked Emerald Jungle (it was again too "busy" and hard to walk/move/see).

So, for me it isn't one environment that I like best - it's more about the execution of that environment.  My favorite place list is completely inconsistent and filled with every environment type so there is no clear winner for me.  My favorite zones are:

Plane of Hate (B- the revised version is my all-time favorite location of any MMO ever)
    North Ro (original), along with South Ro and Oasis
    Greater Faydark, along with Kelethin
    Crystal Caverns
    Swamp of No Hope and Lake of Illomen
    Plane of Mischief
    Kedge Keep
    City of Mist
    Original Bazaar

So, I don't have a favorite (castle versus desert versus snow etcera) but if I had to pick it would be ancient Forests, small Caves (if done right), gothic Cities and ruined Castles

This post was edited by fazool at August 22, 2016 7:40 AM PDT
    • 16 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

I enjoy variety in zone feel of course.  My least favorite though are areas that look bleak and barren (like deserts or moon like surfaces)  Also not a fan of areas that make me feel claustrophobic.

• 22 posts
    August 22, 2016 7:38 AM PDT

I enjoy a wide variety of environments, but I think very heavily wooded areas are the ones I like least. 

Dungeons of course are great with a group, assuming the mobs are diverse (ranging from quite hard to "omg run away") and you cannot simply rush them.

What I'd love to see, and was missing a bit from screenshots and such, are wide open landscapes, with green rolling hills.

• 166 posts
    August 22, 2016 8:11 AM PDT

My favorite area is a forest zone, to be more precise a deciduous forest. Especially in autum with different colored leafes this just looks fantastic.

My next favorite are jungle areas, with high gras and bushes. And maybe some ancient ruins of a temple, city, ... which are hidden deep inside of the jungle.

The less vegetation an are has, the less I like it, so desert and snow are not very high on my list.

But of course there should be a diversity of different zones, so everyone will have his favorite zone in game.

• 999 posts
    August 22, 2016 8:17 AM PDT

Zones that have great ambiance, whether it be through environmental sounds, atmosphere, etc.  My favorite zone all time is probably the Estate of Unrest.  Loved the tight corridors inside the mansion, secret passages, invisible walls, and player made death trains :).  Basically the sense of dread, fear, and danger you had while in the zone.  There never were less than 10 player corpses near the zoneline either which further increasesed that sense of dread.  And the undead setting was just awesome.

Estate of Unrest

This post was edited by Raidan at August 22, 2016 8:19 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    August 22, 2016 8:28 AM PDT

Jungles! Damp, with crumbling, vine covered ruins surrounded by pretty but poisonous flowers and plants. 

I also like enchanted forests and swamps enveloped in mist. Don't much care for volcanic regions.