Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Did he say "User Generated Content"?

• 513 posts
    August 19, 2016 7:14 AM PDT

I think we really need to investigate as to the actual definition of User Generated Content.  All the ideas flowing around here on the forums?  Guess what - THAT can be designated as "User Generated Content".  You just have to understand what that term means and all agree on the definition before jumping to conclusions...

• 1303 posts
    August 19, 2016 7:42 AM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I think we really need to investigate as to the actual definition of User Generated Content.  All the ideas flowing around here on the forums?  Guess what - THAT can be designated as "User Generated Content".  You just have to understand what that term means and all agree on the definition before jumping to conclusions...

We have had a statement from Aradune that there is a plan for future developement of UGC. We've (mostly) embraced the notion, and speculated somewhat on what that could possibly encompass. What conclusion, exactly, has been jumped to? 

• 112 posts
    August 19, 2016 9:29 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

@Werzul, you have a point. It would feel really artificial if all of a sudden there were dozens of ancient dungeons littering zones. But I guess at the same time if they landmass of the game at release is substantial enough (and they've hinted they would like it to be so) then even a hundred or more dungeons added over time would not seem to clutter things up. As new expansions are released with new continents the philosophy can be expanded. You could leave land in reserve from earlier areas as well so that later (perhaps much later) players could breath new life into old lands with player-crafted content. 

a simple solution occurred to me after the fact. a user made  dungeon could just be added onto a pre-existing similarly  themed dungeon. a solid wall could just be changed to look collapsed, the opening leading to the new area, or even using the perception system - as you walk by the previously solid wall you get a message 'these blocks seem loose...'.

• 1303 posts
    August 19, 2016 9:58 AM PDT

werzul said:

a simple solution occurred to me after the fact. a user made  dungeon could just be added onto a pre-existing similarly  themed dungeon. a solid wall could just be changed to look collapsed, the opening leading to the new area, or even using the perception system - as you walk by the previously solid wall you get a message 'these blocks seem loose...'.

Great point. On the one hand it makes it possible to introduce new content and gives the creator a defined theme to start from. The only downside I see is that it might limit the benefits from a fresh set of eyes as far as themes or storylines go, because you're just expanding on somethign that already exists rather than introducing something completely new.

• 166 posts
    August 19, 2016 10:01 AM PDT

From a very general view, I see user generated content as something very positive. It increases the amount of content for us, without an increase of the costs for VR. So this could be a win-win situation, at least in an ideal world.

In the real world it could still be a very good solution, but there need to be a few restrictions. When I played Neverwinter, some time ago, some of the user generated Quests were very good and a lot of fun, some weren't.The voting system was a try to prevent you from doing the ones which are not so good. The way it was handled was ok, but not perfekt.

But with powerful tools to create content, a good way to integrate content in the existing game and a good way to control the release of the content, I will love to see this coming. I don't see, that providing this 3 things in a good quality is something imposible, so my hope are with VR, that they are doing it right and we all can enjoy it. :)