Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Suggestion: auto-follow

• 2138 posts
    August 15, 2016 6:11 PM PDT

Auto follow helped me when I was younger and could not see, the only thing that bothered me about autofollowing was how the leader would not check on the people following him in an intutive way., that is., stopping, and turning around- pivoting around.; for the intuitive knowledge or feel that someone is tethered.

Instead they would curve tightly and walk backwards? and wonder why you spun into orbit and asked what are you doing running out into the shadowed men? instead of just, stopping and pivoting to be sure the person is stil there,

But otherwise, no I would prefer no auto follow- it helped people direct me to places when I could not see but since everyone was using first person view....RIGHT?...all they had to do was glance over tpo the side to see where I was or if in a tight but spread group for elbow room to say- turning left- its just intuitive.

• 5 posts
    August 16, 2016 1:57 PM PDT

I like auto follow and here is why: I have a good friend who had a stroke and with auto follow they can easily be moved around without then struggling to get from point A to B.  Second I have a sister that is visually impared but still plays on eq and again follow is essencial.

Yes I do understand the issue with 16 bots following one toon and I hope that does not happen with this game.

• 432 posts
    August 16, 2016 5:12 PM PDT
    I feel Pantheon will gain more from NOT including the auto follow feature.

Sent via mobile

-Todd
    • 43 posts
    August 17, 2016 2:38 AM PDT

If auto follow has to be in the game then the person that is auto following and the person they are auto following are restricted to walking only. No auto follow on mounts and no bonus from any movement speed buffs. Also zoning will break the auto follow and the person that was auto following does not zone.

This would fall right in line with VR's statement that boxing will be allowed because it will be less effecient. Nothing is more annoyingly less effecient then walking across zones.

• 202 posts
    August 17, 2016 4:53 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Loop

{

Send {/autofollow}

Sleep 300000

}

Pause::+Pause

Point being, when you offer that kind of in game functionality, its really easy to set up scripts to circumvent limitations.

Eh this point is invalid as they have announced that scripts are going to be limited if not allowed at all.

TBH, why are we even arguing over Auto Follow or not. They have announced that boxxing is going to be very limited I.E. need more than 1 computer to do so. Scripting is not allowed and if it is, it is very limited. So why punish those that need to quick BIO or answer phone etcetc. while the party moves from 1 spot to the other? Most of the time it is just a given that you announce to your group that you are placing someone on auto follow for "said reason". I have never heard of Auto-Follow as "Hand Holding". Auto Pathing on your mini-map is "Hand Holding", Exclamation marks above quest givers is "Hand holding", Auto Follow does not qualify as "Hand Holding". So why punish your party when you need to use the bathroom but your party said they were moving to new location? Oh look you are the healer or tank, group cannot move without having to wait for you now and forcing the groups to wait even longer than needed. Sure there is "supposed" to be "down time" but that is typically in the form of Mana regen, Health Regen, and respawn timers, or if tank/healers need bio at your "Current" camp site. Auto Follow Typically breaks upon zoning, being out ran, and dying. So the lead player have to still pay attention to the person they are towing, unless was not told they were on auto follow. But as I said Prior "TYPICALLY" you tell your group who you are placing on auto follow, and for what reason, and typically the group has no problem with it unless you are gone for an unreasonable amount of time.

If you are worried about Boxxing players then just don't invite them to your group, simple as that. Gold farmer's are in every game that they can make a profit from, Not much the dev's can do against that other than making it harder to do but I am pretty sure removing Auto Follow will help "stop" Gold farmers.

EDIT: Fixed spelling and some grammar.

This post was edited by Tootiredtocare at August 17, 2016 4:56 AM PDT
    • 138 posts
    August 17, 2016 9:47 PM PDT

+1 for it. I used it in EQ for bio and the like, and the sky never fell.

• 1434 posts
    August 17, 2016 9:52 PM PDT

Well during EQ, you also couldn't even alt-tab out of the client nor could most computers run multiple clients. Most people also wouldn't cheat or exploit to get an advantage given the chance, nor were they hellbent on seeing how much they could accomplish alone like most players are today.

A lot has changed since 1999.

• 243 posts
    August 17, 2016 9:55 PM PDT

I don't mind it, it was always good for falling into lava or off cliffs.  If people really hate it and it doesn't make it into the game it won't hurt my feelings.

• 202 posts
    August 18, 2016 10:06 AM PDT

Dullahan said:

Well during EQ, you also couldn't even alt-tab out of the client nor could most computers run multiple clients. Most people also wouldn't cheat or exploit to get an advantage given the chance, nor were they hellbent on seeing how much they could accomplish alone like most players are today.

A lot has changed since 1999.

Exactly, its not the game that created or allowed multiple use of multiple clients. It was the increase of internet speeds and computer capacities that lead to multiple clients.

Sure back in the day they still could Multi Box, but they would have had to have more than 1 computer to run the game, and still have enough internet connection to run them both. Then lets also not forget the dreadful disconnect from zoning.