Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Longest time spent playing an MMORPG?

• 16 posts
    August 18, 2016 6:52 PM PDT

My first MMO and also the one I played the longest was EQ.   I started in 1999 and played until EQ2 Beta started.  I only left because I wanted to see what EQ2 was all about.  Then of course I HAD to try Vanguard... :)  I have spent the past decade it feels like looking for an MMO that had the "feel" of the original EQ with the improved graphics/features etc that are now possible given todays technology.

PANTHEON Save me ! ! !  

This post was edited by Chantelle at August 18, 2016 6:53 PM PDT
    • 39 posts
    August 18, 2016 8:37 PM PDT

FFXI for 7 years was my longest. I have a lot of good memories from those days and hope I can in some way get back that feeling again.

• 99 posts
    August 19, 2016 4:23 AM PDT
    Played EQ from release to EQ2 betta i cried when EQ2 came out it was over... Played Shadowbane which was amazing left that game cause the servers couldnt handle the fights they would lagg out. Moved to the blizzard games mostly WOW but would mix it up vanilla was amazing because it was challenging when you saw somone in full raid gear it was like dang hes been at it for a while.. Then came the nerfs with other xpacs which led to me leaving that and going back and forth for the next 9 years or so.. Tried alot of other games in that time eso,rift,ayon man i dont even remember them all just trying to find a game that compaired to either EQ but with better graphics thats the only reason i dont play it now.. Or Wow vanilla and none of the games have lived up to either. So im hoping I can add Pantheon to my favs cause good games been lacking for a while.
    • 173 posts
    August 19, 2016 5:15 AM PDT

I think EQ was my longest, started in 2003 where I met the woman i am still married to (and 4 kids later) and played till about 2007.  We tried EQ2 just as Vanguard was going to open beta and went there for about 2 years till I just couln't take the bugs anymore.  Never forget the day i died so badly the GM could not even find my corpse LOL.  Played EQ2 for a few years after that, but the game changed.  It felt like the primary focus of the dev team was keeping the cash shop going and the game suffered.  Since then I have dabbled in just about every MMO that has come along looking for..well Pantheon.

• 42 posts
    August 20, 2016 12:01 PM PDT

16 year's 125 days in EQ1 (still playing at this time) until Patheon :0) Will be hard to let it go,but the time has come to say EQ1  no longer has the spark it once did .

• 166 posts
    August 20, 2016 12:09 PM PDT

The longest time a played an MMORPG was in Wow, I hope i don't get punished for that :) But in the vanilla days it was at least for me not that bad game.

How long might it be? at least 4 - 5 years. Later it was less fun as at the beginning, but hey.

Would played it even longer, but the circumstances changed, it was not that game as at the beginning.

• 4 posts
    August 20, 2016 2:41 PM PDT

6 years for me in EQ1 then Eq2 from launch till Rift launch. Then Rift till the cash shop got so out of hand. Nothing since :(

• 2419 posts
    August 20, 2016 3:08 PM PDT

EQ1 of course.  Beta through Secrets of Faydwer.  EVE Online is a very close 2nd as I picked up EVE at the Red Moon Rising expansion and stopped not long after Mosiac expansion was released.

• 133 posts
    August 20, 2016 3:28 PM PDT

EQ for about 4 years. I would have played longer if the expansions would have been as good as Kunark and Velious. Each expamsion since, changed the game more and more into something I could recognize less and less. Booo.

• 40 posts
    August 20, 2016 4:27 PM PDT

GW 7 years but I played other MMOs besides it. Quit it because it just got too old and the updates dried out. Also, it was originally pretty hard but constant nerfs killid the challenge.

Or EQ2 if you don't count GW as a MMO (the devs called it a CORPG), 5 1/2 years. Quit for a few reasons. The content started to get worse. Sony leaked peoples credit card information (well, they were hacked but same result) and the final nail in the coffin was the F2P/Freemium convertion. SOE got too greedy there and it seems like their inspiration started to die out after EoF.

Currently I play GW2 and have for the last 3 years. Not always and I had a few breaks of 2-3 months but when it start to feel like a chore to log in it is time to get a break (and if it also is summer I do other stuff then sit in front of my computer).

I usually take a 1-3 months break every year no matter what game I play, makes the rest of the time more fun.

• 14 posts
    August 21, 2016 5:25 PM PDT

In a nutshell:

EQ from beta thru Omens of War with only a couple short few Month breaks in there.  Played pretty hardcore, was only a teenager though for most of it.  PoP being my favorite.  Still have all my game boxes and beta cd ;)  #1 in my heart   

WoW from beta thru 6 months of TBC.  Never went back after that.  

Shadowbane for about its first 6 months.  Was a lot of fun from launch. Groundbreaking MMO without enough resources.  

A short stint in Rift at launch.  

LOTRO from beta thru DG.  Really fun learning the raid content.  

Spent lots of time /played on Project 1999 over the last few years.  

Never been one for alts.  In all my years in EQ I never had any character other than my main at max level.   Wood elf Ranger.   same story in LOTRO, one max level hobbit guardian.

P99 being time locked and slow to expand first enabled me to have multiple max level characters that I played alternately.

- Rylas

This post was edited by mattkwi at August 21, 2016 6:00 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    August 23, 2016 6:05 PM PDT

Played Anarchy Online for a good 4 years, then moved to EQ2 for maybe 5 years solid. Gone back to both a few times, but always end up leaving again, mostly because all my friends stopped playing. No other game has kept my interest for more than a year...there is a massive lack of community and depth in new games.

This post was edited by Mortam at August 23, 2016 6:06 PM PDT
    • 25 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:04 PM PDT

Everquest II -- November 11, 2004 ( third day live) till  8 years later ---  totally loved it ( did not love the changes they made later, though)

broke my heart, but what good is riding your horse all over Antonica and dreaming and wishing for the "good old days" ? ...

my friends quit sooner than I did -- that was a big factor 

some are still there raiding, but after 4 yrs of being away, you KNOW what that does to your "raiding gear"

just found Everquest too late -- no friends to help me figure the game out, no one to group with, and just gave up when I heard about EQ2

• 44 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:04 PM PDT

Einelinea said:

Everquest II -- November 11, 2004 ( third day live) till  8 years later ---  totally loved it ( did not love the changes they made later, though)

broke my heart, but what good is riding your horse all over Antonica and dreaming and wishing for the "good old days" ? ...

You might want to check out the Stormhold "Progression" server.  You'll need a sub to join it, but it's presently the closest you can get to those goold old days.  Unfortunately they are already 4 expansions in, but the progression is much slower and they are not yet far enough for things to be ridiculous - no Mercs, much harder mob spread population, buffed mobs in dungeons, no insanely stupidly over-powered gear, not 100 different forms of currency, and no adornments.  It's NOT 2004 (I wish) but it's much more like the old feeling than the Standard (free) servers.  Lookup the guild Atlantis.  Very active, nice spread of players including many low level characters and returning players.

This post was edited by Merrick at August 25, 2016 5:05 PM PDT
    • 22 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:17 PM PDT

I have played many different MMOs over the years (ESO, Warhammer, SWTOR, both Guild Wars, the list goes on), but the one I have played the longest would be (shocker!!) World of Warcraft. Started in early 2005 and have been playing it on and off ever since.

Still play to this day actually even though I am looking towards the MMO horizon for something in the future, preferably this game!

This post was edited by DrBrewski at August 25, 2016 5:19 PM PDT
    • 24 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:14 PM PDT

From beta in EQ and still have a char but haven't logged him in in umm... can't recall.

He's in a bar in Oggok gettin drunk and flirting with anything that will respond.

Mangler oger SK  Bertoxx

• 89 posts
    August 31, 2016 7:13 AM PDT

7 years in Vanguard. I played start to finish. EQ just over 6 years.