Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

ok so...Kedge

• 72 posts
    August 11, 2016 10:02 PM PDT

None of us said we really liked kedge...having to have breathe underwater items, the view was limited...nut in all honesty i had never felt fear untill i had to grapple with a shark in there.  IMO one of the best and underrated dungeons. with the controls/graphics/and environment system as you have portrayed this would be an amazing option. I know WOW did it...and did it poorly. yea you have a helmet and ride a seahorse...whee. but playing back then it filled me with more dread because i could not see, i might die and loose xp, had to rely on a party member to give me water breathing since i was too lazy to get a ring or do a quest. man it was scary and...ultimately at the time not worth it because the game had moved on to other things. I will always remember the underwater raids that still to this date have no peer. its a possibility since one of your races come from an aquatic background. it has been done in recent games but POORLY! reintroduce that 70'S jaws fear of being in water and not being able to see...since you are already looking at light sources influencing content!

IMO Kedge was the most overlooked underrated of zones, mainly because controls back then were kinda wonky

Mod Edit: Copy/Pasted double post into your original post and removed the double post, please use the "Edit" function to add afterthoughts to your post rather than create an entirely new one as it is against forum guidelines to double post and creates unnecessary spam.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 11, 2016 10:47 PM PDT
    • 523 posts
    August 11, 2016 11:50 PM PDT

I thought Kedge was excellent.  I hope they have group dungeons like that in the Pantheon, where you need certain classes (Bard for example) or items (Fishbone Earring/Rebreather) to really function safely.  It's like the Vex Thal keying to a much lesser degree as it allows an open world dungeon that will only be assessible to those that have the correct gear, classes, and patience to learn the zone.  Kedge was almost always empty on my server (Terris-Thule), was a gold mine for those who wanted to camp the two sharks for the hammer and helm to sell.  It took the epic quests to really make people go to Kedge, and even then, it was begrudgingly.

But yeah, the chaos that came with Phinny raids and people struggling to swim and stay in range for water breathing was epic. 

• 763 posts
    August 12, 2016 2:04 AM PDT

As I played a Mage, I was always getting tells from people looking for help with Kedge.

In the early days (when you needed to actually Raid Phinny)

Just setting up at the Zone in for Buffs was difficult - space was cramped and there were roamers nearby if some people 'moved away to get space'. Pre-binding at the zone-in for a few casters was essential in case of wipe. In extreme cases, sacrificing a couple of players at the zone-in so they could leave a corpse with summoned rings of water breathing on them.

Moving a team of 24+ players through Kedge was a nightmare! Even with a map, the use of 3D (up/down in addition to usual) meant you needed tight Raid control. Groups were set up in non-standard raid formation as you needed to ensure re-pops and roamers didnt catch the back end of your huge trail of characters. Note that doors closed, hidden entrances would block the view of those arriving late and the underwater distortion, not to mention all the seaweed, made visibility hard.

Resetting for mini-bosses required reorganization - rebuffing, re-issue of water breathing and detailed backup plans in case any group were dispelled. Kill them and then move on.

Early Phinny was a nightmare. 3D for AoE spells and ranges, dark and gloomy water, limited space compared to aggro radius and the fact that he was a caster all made this a tricky Raid.

All in all, this was probably one of the more challenging early Raids.

You were in battle with the very environment!

Without waterbreathing you were dead...

Without keeping a watch up and down as well as usual front/behind you were dead

Without good timing for rezzing, you were dead (again)

Without fantastic Raid control you were dead.

So, HELL YES to this kind of challenge!

• 72 posts
    August 12, 2016 2:19 AM PDT

Kedge was underlooked and hated at the time but was groundbreaking for what it was! so sayeth Fred (chpt 18 Vs 119)

This post was edited by Grimvalor at August 12, 2016 2:20 AM PDT
    • 147 posts
    August 12, 2016 6:22 AM PDT

Really liked Kedge Keep

First time I went there was from getting a tell from a stranger that needed help. All I had heard about Kedge Keep was how dangerous it was, the whole time running there I was worried that I was gonna fail these people that needed my help, then getting to the raid and anxiety was so high, then swimming down into the darkness and pulling Phinigel Autropos solo. 

Getting tells of praise from all these strangers was a great feeling. I was the only one that knew it was a stroke of luck and it was the beginning of my monks journey into raiding.

Any content that gives real feelings like kedge Keep did would be awesome.

This post was edited by Obliquity at August 12, 2016 6:23 AM PDT
    • 793 posts
    August 12, 2016 6:37 AM PDT

I actually liked Kedge, but seldom could find friends to go, since by the time I was ready to go, there were so many other places people had moved on to explore.

I ended up going back there in my mid 50's solo to get the Dusty Finger Bones. I failed :( . Had it on my mouse ready to pick it up, when Phinny got the last shot on me. 

Wasn't too much after that, that I moved on to other games anyway, and never finished that quest, that finger bone was the last peice I needed, and it still haunts me to this day :)

• 644 posts
    August 12, 2016 6:54 AM PDT

Grimvalor said:None of us said we really liked kedge...

That's not true.  I've posted, more than once, how much I loved KK and others have made similar comments so you can't say  "none of us"

Kedga was simply amazing.  It was a mind-blowing new experience to be in that environment.  It was totally immersive.  Yes swimming slow was hard.  Yes- breathing was hard.  Yes you can't see a full 360 degrees (but you can't in RL either!).  It was terrifying and disorienting and amazing.  EQ did underwater perfectly.  The pot room, lake rathe, everything.  The only underwater zone in EQ that I didn't love was the lakebottom in Illomen.

• 514 posts
    August 12, 2016 7:10 AM PDT

Hmm - I have a different memory of Kedge.  I went there solo ALOT.  But then, I was an enchanter.  I am pretty sure an enchanter is the only one that could do so well there alone.

• 13 posts
    August 12, 2016 7:20 AM PDT

Oh good idea! I enjoyed underwater zone so much - Kedge and PoW (Coirnav fight was so much fun also). I didn't mind the lack of controls underwater, it should be a pain to fight in theses conditions, and EQ acheived that (maybe by luck).