Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Music as immersion

• 51 posts
    August 1, 2016 3:59 PM PDT

I don't think I have to sway the devs opinion on this one as I remember Joppa stating his passion for music ingame and all that it adds to immersion. To add to that point I was just listening a track by Ray Lynch, which can be found here:

https://youtu.be/jxrHiX1l01c

As the track played I felt it would superimpose nicely over a tiny Akanon type city or underground dwelling. I'm not sure why I felt this way or how the original developers of, say EQ, composed the tracks but it got me curious.

My question then is this:

What musical tools create this type of immersion the best for fantasy games?

Is it the simplistic "midi" type of sound or is it the atmospheric and expansive synthesizers that blend so nicely. 

id like to know how the pantheon team goes about this as I too believe it really adds a wonderful dimension to the gameplay amd immersion.

This post was edited by Valith at August 1, 2016 4:03 PM PDT
    • 514 posts
    August 2, 2016 3:43 AM PDT

I would like to see a system put into play that allows a bard to create music to play for those around him.  Not note for note etc. but say some sort of simplistic chord for chord type of UI.  And then make them quest for sheet music.  And make the quests REALLY REALLY hard.  I hate bards.

• 63 posts
    August 2, 2016 3:47 AM PDT

I'd prefer to group with a bard ripping out some Black Sabbath than one playing Justin Bieber. I want choices.

• 514 posts
    August 2, 2016 3:50 AM PDT

Aye - thats why I hate bards.  The LAST thing I wanna hear in my life EVER AGAIN - is PAT BOONE covering Crazy Train!  OMG!  My ears STILL HURT!!!   DEATH TO ALL BARDS!!!!

• 2756 posts
    August 2, 2016 5:05 AM PDT

If there's going to be Bards and there's going to be instruments and there's going to be midi or some such PLEASE let there be a tickbox I can untick.

I have been driven from many a tavern over the years (especially in Middle Earth) by someone who thinks Thrash Metal on a lute is cool.

In all seriousness, the chance of some random person's taste in music is A) Going to be of 'good quality' B) Going to be aggreable to me and C) Going to fit in a high-fantasy setting has got to approach some very small fraction of 1%.

The Bard "spell" effect ditties were not bad. Pretty inoffensive. Like jingles. That's probably the best you can hope for: something melodic and inoffensive.

• 613 posts
    August 4, 2016 11:13 AM PDT

Valith said:

I don't think I have to sway the devs opinion on this one as I remember Joppa stating his passion for music ingame and all that it adds to immersion. To add to that point I was just listening a track by Ray Lynch, which can be found here:

https://youtu.be/jxrHiX1l01c

As the track played I felt it would superimpose nicely over a tiny Akanon type city or underground dwelling. I'm not sure why I felt this way or how the original developers of, say EQ, composed the tracks but it got me curious.

My question then is this:

What musical tools create this type of immersion the best for fantasy games?

Is it the simplistic "midi" type of sound or is it the atmospheric and expansive synthesizers that blend so nicely. 

id like to know how the pantheon team goes about this as I too believe it really adds a wonderful dimension to the gameplay amd immersion.

Interesting video and the music is pretty cool.  It reminds me of the older games as you would walk into a city.  I can see why your observation was like that.  I have been curious and there is a link on the Panteon site: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/news/blog/state_of_the_game_july_2016/

Good read and gives some insite on how Chris (Jappa) Perkins creates the game sound environment. 

Good post!

Ox

X

• 1778 posts
    August 4, 2016 12:38 PM PDT
    +1 on Bard musical creations. But yea I would want to reduce the possibility of music that isn't time period appropriate. And yes a toggle just in case someone decides they want to play polka.