Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Armor Looks?

• 4 posts
    July 26, 2016 7:31 AM PDT

Want to apologize if their is already a post about this.

Just wanting some thought of how the armor is going to look. I myself never played Vanguard but i play the crap out of EQ, current in velks UD group while im typing this (shh dont tell them). IS all the armor on your character going to look the same? Will their be different textures or modeling to the armor? Will you know you got a different bracer on then the one you just upgraded from? Will Shoulder be shown aswell as belts, rings, earrings, and neck? just wanting to know. Seeing that im currently studying Game Design and Media at the Art Institute of Philadelphia and dabbling in Unity. I know their is alot that can be done with the engine let alone the modeling tools like Blender, 3Ds Max, maya, etc. Just wondering and if anyone else like to share thier input!

Back to grinding some lvls in EQ

-Elderic

• 279 posts
    July 26, 2016 8:09 AM PDT

Plate mail skirts that Is all I care about.

Old models in EQ high elf and halfling females had fashion figured out. I can't remember that being an option in VG and I found that distressing.

• 781 posts
    July 26, 2016 9:26 AM PDT

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2126/appearance-gear-and-weapons   this is what i could find, Hope it gives some better insight for ya :) 

• 1778 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:14 AM PDT
    I started one specifically for Bard in the Bard section. I know noy everyone agrees with me but I want Iconic looks for classes. Thats look not outfit. So it doesnt have to be a specific outfit so muvh as a general identifiable theme.

Oh and +1 for plated skirts as well as leather (roman/greek like) and kilts. So not just for females.

In general Id like to see themes that arent limited to medieval Europe. I think some interesting choices could be drawn from other places where it makes sense to do so. Monk (shoalin vs catholic). Bard (gypsy). Berserker (viking). Summoner( persian). Shaman (Native American like shaman). This could result in a lot of difference in looks from class to class with out it being specific outfits or gear sets. Just something I thought would be cool and maybe satisfy those against gear sets and such. And of course that doesnt mean there wouldnt be general purpose gear for mages or melee.
    • 279 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:29 AM PDT

Also hardcore support for not just western European stylings

• 4 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:31 AM PDT

Well the devs were asking for import Kelem, im wanting defining answers. Which i think we all deserve.

I agree with you Amsai. Each class should take that armor and make it more to that class style. For example: if a bard, druid, warrior, and monk all have a leather tunic. That leather tunic itself doesnt change but when that class puts it on the how style changes. So for a bard like you stated be more gypsyish, druid more celtic/germantic, warrior more europian, and monk kinda samuria monkish. But i dont think it should stop just there. Lets say your a leatherworker/tailor and you have this type of fur/pelt well you have a lion, kodiak bear, and winter wolf. these three pelts look completely different so when the armor is made it looks like that pelt, made showing the threading used aswell. If lets say your a monk making that armor you give your culture in that armor, or a racial look to it. Alot can be done.

I also agree that leggings shouldnt just be leggings, kelts and skirts for males should be there aswell, giving more to culture like and racial looks maybe even class aspects to it.

-Elderic

• 781 posts
    July 26, 2016 10:56 AM PDT

At some point or another you are going to run in to armor / weapons that look the same regardless. No matter the style or origin.  There are a ton of different ways for armor / weapons to look but do you really need such a wide variety, variety yes, but too much variety and i think it just adds work to the dev team that has to come up with all of these different styles.  Also, let's say you have monks all of the same race, which you will have, will their armor look the same ?  Different races , different armor i get it, but what about the same race ?  

This post was edited by Kelem at July 26, 2016 10:59 AM PDT
    • 763 posts
    July 26, 2016 11:33 AM PDT

Re: Armour and how it looks. (Armour refers not just to metal/plate, but to leather and cloth robes too)

1.    Armour should reflect what armour type it is:

Sounds self-evident I know, but bear with me. So... Armour worn is dependent on (a choice from) what you *can* wear. Warriors can wear, say, Heavy armour. This may be Half-plate, Chain-under-plate, full-interlocking-plate or just chain-shirt-over-leather-with-greaves. All of these are 'heavy armour' and so the Warrior is free (within 'proficiencies' he has learned) to wear any of them. They ALL look differerent - though some would be similar to each other in many ways. A Death-Knight, say, who is also allowed to wear 'Heavy Armour' could wear the same armour... and it WOULD look the same. I.e. that nifty Chain+BreastPlate looks the same if the Warrior takes it off and hands it to the DeathKnight.

2.     Armour *would* have 'styles':

Whether racial, geographic, temporal or just stylistic, Armour would have a set of different looks.  (Racial) Elven armour would have an elven 'feel' to it. Perhaps they use finer chain links, have more detailed etching and inlay than others use. (Geographic) Southern armour might use rounded plates instead of the squarer ones used to the north... or the banded look preferred by the far-eastern tribes. (Temporal) Ancient armours of the humans might be more 'gothic' and chunky than their 'modern' equivalent. Armour dropped by an ancient dragon might be in a much older style than armour found in a bandit's stash. (Style) Some armoursmiths may just have a quixotic nature and produce one-off armour styles all of their own. Perhaps they favour large horned helmets and breastplates with equally large, and outlandish to others, horns on them.

Following on from this, player armour would likely be a mish-mash of styles as they attempt to pick and choose the best for them -  heavier armours giving better protection, but perhaps lowering agility due to their higher weight. Some types would function better as complete sets while most would not. Much of this armour could, and should, be inlaid, dyed or otherwise changed by player crafters.

Eg : Southern Leathers

Perhaps the far Southern Desert Nomad Tailor who makes the leather outfits for the Queen's Assassins has a unique perspective and creates leather armour that resembles little more than a set of horizontal straps held together with a lattice of woven silk threads. He dyes them all dyed black.

A PC sees (and obtains) this armour, bringing it back to a skilled tailor. The tailor (after a few mishaps) eventually learns to craft leather using this 'style'. As per the PC's request, a set is made of tanned green lizard-skin woven together with dryder-silk and inlaid with gold wire. This is worn by the, now happy, PC Druid. Or Ranger.

Eg : Breastplate of the Sun (Cleric Epic BP)

This BP is (rarely) dropped by a powerful raid mob. It dates from 4000 years ago and was worn by the Royal Guard of, the then, Emperor. It is made of a Gold-Alloy in an ancient style. It features an obvious sigil in the centre and is covered in rubies.

You are going to have massive difficulties changing the look of this piece. It is EPIC, as well as ancient in both material and nature. Amending or altering this would be nigh on impossible. Copying the 'look' should be possible, but it would not have the overall 'effect' when looked at. It should be obviously a pale immitation. (i.e. Epic items could have sheen or glow effects where 'regular' armour would have a more 'matt' look to them.)

TLDR: Amrour should 'fit' within the world-view, with differences in style and look dependent on the origin and maker of the armour. Put a hat on an Elf and you have an Elf in a hat. It is just a hat.... not a mystic 'hat of morphing' that changes look dependent on who wears it! (though *that* hat may exist!!)

Evoras

• 17 posts
    July 26, 2016 11:55 AM PDT

Options please for every class with clothes, armor, swords (axes, maces, etc.) and shields.  I am a chain mail fan, so any combination and style that includes chain is fine by me.  Also, please, please, please give us more options for clothies than bathrobes and a pointed hat.  I would definitely like to see more design influence there than just the stereotypical medieval western Europe.  How about some Russian, Persian, or Mongol influence.

• 430 posts
    July 27, 2016 7:14 PM PDT
    • 781 posts
    July 27, 2016 8:11 PM PDT

Shea said: https://youtu.be/2z29Rk8814w

Too funny.. :) 

• 430 posts
    July 27, 2016 8:12 PM PDT
    I've it enjoyed it for years :)
    • 430 posts
    July 27, 2016 8:19 PM PDT
    I would like to say that there is nothing wrong with robes in fact their was this great looking bloomers with stars and moons on it in Everquest that mages wore simply fantastic . OPTIONS is the key ..
    • 156 posts
    July 27, 2016 10:10 PM PDT

Please no pauldrons that are bigger than your head!

• 613 posts
    July 29, 2016 9:43 AM PDT

Shea said: https://youtu.be/2z29Rk8814w

I had forgotten that was still around.   Made me laugh!

Ox

• 9115 posts
    July 29, 2016 6:18 PM PDT

Umbra said:

Lol, VG T3 PotA tank shoulders! My DK looked so funny, they were bigger than his Orc head! :D

• 563 posts
    August 1, 2016 4:47 PM PDT

I've said it before, as long as I don't look like a call girl/pole dancer while I'm out adventuring I'm happy. :) Don't want my character to look like shes on a trip to the beach while shes tanking a dungeon :P

• 1281 posts
    August 1, 2016 4:59 PM PDT

Rachael said:

I've said it before, as long as I don't look like a call girl/pole dancer while I'm out adventuring I'm happy. :) Don't want my character to look like shes on a trip to the beach while shes tanking a dungeon :P

I concur. Here's a thread you may find interesting. We talk about that and I post some good examples of legit female armor.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2284/please-make-the-females-gorgeous

• 514 posts
    August 2, 2016 3:34 AM PDT

The thing about MMOs that not most people realize is the aspect of the game that envolves our character sheet:  It is little more than a paper doll.  And like EVERY paper doll, we want to be able to aply our very own fashion sense.

I am torn in this aspect.  I want to be able to wear what I find appropriate (trust me - none of you would complain about my tastes - they are very droll) for adventuring and then slip into some warm fuzzy slippers if set a stall and sell my crafted wares.  At the same time I want folks to go out and adventure as if they are some sort of call girl/pole dancer - IFF that is what they want.  BUT - and this is important - BUT if someone DOESNT want to see the pole dancer call girl I would like them to have the ability to NOT see that gear but the base appeaerence gear beneath.  Basically, give them a button to push to turn obnoxious stuff off.  That way, all players get what they want.

• 1281 posts
    August 2, 2016 7:14 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

The thing about MMOs that not most people realize is the aspect of the game that envolves our character sheet:  It is little more than a paper doll.  And like EVERY paper doll, we want to be able to aply our very own fashion sense.

I am torn in this aspect.  I want to be able to wear what I find appropriate (trust me - none of you would complain about my tastes - they are very droll) for adventuring and then slip into some warm fuzzy slippers if set a stall and sell my crafted wares.  At the same time I want folks to go out and adventure as if they are some sort of call girl/pole dancer - IFF that is what they want.  BUT - and this is important - BUT if someone DOESNT want to see the pole dancer call girl I would like them to have the ability to NOT see that gear but the base appeaerence gear beneath.  Basically, give them a button to push to turn obnoxious stuff off.  That way, all players get what they want.

I think the argument here is that clothing that looks like what a pole dancer would wear shouldn't provide the same armor class as a suit of full plate, thus encouraging people to 'dress appropriately' for adventuring.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at August 2, 2016 7:15 PM PDT
    • 844 posts
    August 3, 2016 12:44 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Umbra said:

Lol, VG T3 PotA tank shoulders! My DK looked so funny, they were bigger than his Orc head! :D

Yes, those pauldrons did get a bit ridiculous.

• 763 posts
    August 3, 2016 1:24 AM PDT

Rachael said:

(Agree, but pls don't get me started on MT dressed in tuxedo, CLE in a bunny-onesie and the monk just wearing 'Sponge-Bob' swim-shorts!!)

1.   have a variety of armour styles as well as types. (Eg Style=gothic, type=1/2-plate over chainmail)

2.   include an 'underlayer' (ie 2 layers for clothes) (Fill slots you want)

3.   ALL clothing has stats (Silk hose is NOT gonna stop a sword, but it might have +MoveSilent or +MagicResist if so enchanted) and WEIGHT

Now, your MainTank will likely have undershirt=leather jerkin, overshirt=plate BP on chain

But your Thief might have undershirt=Black Silk dress shirt, overshirt=Light-Leather tunic dyed black

and your Shaman may have undershirt=woad paint sigil, overshirt=none

PS please gods, no Pauldrons big enough to hide a dwarf inside!! We are *not* SpaceMarines (TM)

• 156 posts
    August 3, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

Evoras said:

PS please gods, no Pauldrons big enough to hide a dwarf inside!! We are *not* SpaceMarines (TM)

Thanks Gork and Mork. Everyone knows the Orks are far better than Space Morons :)

I'm just hoping the gothic armor looks are there and that the basic metallic/leather/cloth styles are available and look 'real' rather than some cosplay, bright pink bunny outfit.

• 514 posts
    August 3, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

My argument is that they can wear anything they want if they like it - so long as we include a widget that makes it so the rest of us don't have to see whatever it is they choose to wear.  In EQ2 they have capes!  But each individual player can choose to not SEE those capes.  Something like that should be allowed here.  Let's say a widget that let's us turn appereance armor off/on based on our own desires.

• 86 posts
    August 4, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

I would like to see a functional and practical armor look.  No WoW style or cartoon caricatures please.  I want to see equipment slots.  If I have a plate BP and leather trousers and a bracer (because thats all I have), I would like to see it equipped.   All mixed and matched up.  

Since female characters equip the same equipment as males, they should look the same as males when it is equipped. 

During the lower levels, we should look generic, or even boring.  Save the style for the harder to aquire pieces IMO.  Please no tier system tags for gear (green, blue, common, rare, etc).  Imho