Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

DirectX __ ?

• 109 posts
    July 12, 2016 4:12 PM PDT

anyone know if #PRF is DX12 ??

• 263 posts
    July 13, 2016 3:20 AM PDT

The Unity 5 Engine does support DX12 as to if Pantheon is being Built on DX12 i would speculate that maybe they are working towards that and i guess at the moment DX11 is the likely main focus for now.

• 109 posts
    July 13, 2016 10:14 AM PDT

Thank you :)

• 613 posts
    July 13, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

Yarnila said:

The Unity 5 Engine does support DX12 as to if Pantheon is being Built on DX12 i would speculate that maybe they are working towards that and i guess at the moment DX11 is the likely main focus for now.

Agreed.  Standard right now is DX11.  Most of our developers are using it and in the Unity Sphere. 

Ox

• 671 posts
    July 13, 2016 12:41 PM PDT

There is no need to worry about standards, when using Unity. Visionary Realm's choice to use Unity was superb. (Will unity support Vulkan?)

Once pre-alpha starts I will host a thread about Pantheon's performance and help answer computer and graphic answers. I plan on doing several mock computer builds in different price ranges, for those community members looking for the best Pantheon (gaming) experience. And perhaps a give-a-way, etc.

And believe it or not, it all starts with Windows 10.

• 595 posts
    July 13, 2016 12:57 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

Once pre-alpha starts I will host a thread about Pantheon's performance and help answer computer and graphic answers. I plan on doing several mock computer builds in different price ranges, for those community members looking for the best Pantheon (gaming) experience. And perhaps a give-a-way, etc.

Very cool @Hieromonk!  I will be very interested in this for sure :D

Not to derail the thread, but what are your thoughts on the new Nvidia GTX line?  I plan to pull the trigger on the GTX 1060 July 19, if I can get my hands on one <3

• 208 posts
    July 13, 2016 4:06 PM PDT

I really hope Unity will start taking advantage of that multi GPU feature in DirectX. 

• 671 posts
    July 14, 2016 9:49 AM PDT

Nikademis said:

Hieromonk said:

Very cool @Hieromonk!  I will be very interested in this for sure :D

Not to derail the thread, but what are your thoughts on the new Nvidia GTX line?  I plan to pull the trigger on the GTX 1060 July 19, if I can get my hands on one <3

I could not answer that for you, without knowing what you are trying to do with your upgraded card. Or what resolution you game at, or hope to game at, etc..?

• 613 posts
    July 14, 2016 10:03 AM PDT
    • 671 posts
    July 14, 2016 2:48 PM PDT

Look to Battlefield 1 and DOOM for what is to come, using Vulkan and DX12, etc. Unity will follow that path.

That is why I caution against buying any video card right now, unless you are for sure staying with 1080p resolution.

• 1434 posts
    July 14, 2016 4:37 PM PDT

I imagine I will probably end up using Vulkan before DX12. I'm tired of M$ telling me I have to change my OS to make use of new graphics tech, esp when that OS is mostly extra spyware sitting on top of windows 7.

• 184 posts
    July 14, 2016 5:05 PM PDT

Great Article on the advantages of Vulkan and what it has done for Doom...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-vulkan-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

• 671 posts
    July 15, 2016 7:32 AM PDT

Correct, the more these deveopers are given the tools to write code directly to the the hardware's copper, the quicker and more robust these game will get. DX12 and Windows 10 will help, but Vulkan API will make it easier to gain performance per dollar.

There is a lot of new tech coming and AMD has just recently cornered the 1080p gaming market (ie: low res) with their new RX line ($99 RX460, $149 RX470 & $199 RX480).

If you game at 1080p and love immersion & you plan to play games like Battlefield, or Overwatch, or Doom, etc...  then AMD new $199 RX480 is all you'll need (You can turn it upo to 11). Which would almost be overkill and you could easily weigh your 1080p options against the cheaper $99 AMD RX460 if need be, etc. The RX480 actually handle 1440p resolution pretty good, specially using Vulkan and actually competed directly with cars costing $400+. A no brainer for the 1080p gamer.

Now AMD technology seems to make better use of Vulkan, than does Nvidia, but if you are doing full-on competitive 1440p widescreen gaming, then currently Nvidias GTX1070 & GTX1080 are the only way to go for 1440, or 4k resolutions. But that all changes come this Oct when AMD will release some high-end cards ($300 ~ 700) to compete with Nvidias top rankings. That is why I say "hold off" if you do no nec need a card immediatly.

The release of Battlefield in Oct, will trigger a video card war between AMD & Nvidia. AMD will be releasing their flagship cards, & then Nvidia will counter with GTX1080ti (king of hill) and lower their prices across the board..

Competition is a win/win for the consumer.

• 109 posts
    July 15, 2016 8:05 AM PDT

Vulkan looks promising, but I don't see it replacing DX12 within the next year. It needs more work.  Apple needs to jump into this to replace OpenGL.

Today is a great time to be a PC gamer. 480's and 1060's being sub $250, and Crossfired 480's can keep up with 1080's at a lower cost, the gamer has Lots of choices.

I will wait to build. Closer to public release date of pantheon. The 1160, 1170, and 1180 will be out by then, as well as AMD 580's etc.

maybe even the 1200 / 680 series will be out by then. 2018-ish release date?

This post was edited by Naim at July 15, 2016 8:12 AM PDT
    • 671 posts
    July 15, 2016 8:47 AM PDT

DX12 and Vulkan are not opposing, DX12 allows for Vulkan.

And yes Naim, I agree.

Like I mentioned earlier than in pre-alpha and when the new forums come, I will be hosting a Hardware section, or computer build forums.

And 2019 is a long way off (pantheon's release)...   ..and think of this...   that newly release Nvidia gtx1080 @ $650 , in 3 years time will be worth $180, and be replaced by a cheap sub $200 mid-level card, that has newer tech. By the time Pantheon releases, Windows 10 and DX will be mature enough to handle 2 video cards, no matter what branding. Unity will allow those who want, to play Pantheon on the Xbox in VR..  this is an all of it is coming (That is where the industry is going, a self serve style of input output, of their games hardware supporting...).

This 4k battle (PC & Console) of VR means that nearing the end of Pantheon's beta, People will be able to build incredible large monitor gaming rigs for under $1k, easily!

But if you're stuck & need a card to tie you over for the next 3 years...  & run 1080p resolution..  the AMD rx480 at $200 bucks is hard to pass up. Or wait until October to shop high end when the heavy hitters enter the ring.

• 109 posts
    July 15, 2016 9:54 AM PDT

Hieromonk said:

This 4k battle (PC & Console) of VR means that nearing the end of Pantheon's beta, People will be able to build incredible large monitor gaming rigs for under $1k, easily!

But if you're stuck & need a card to tie you over for the next 3 years...  & run 1080p resolution..  the AMD rx480 at $200 bucks is hard to pass up. Or wait until October to shop high end when the heavy hitters enter the ring.

100% agree with the 480 being the best value for 1080p gaming. like you said, it can do 1440p on games that aren't extremely demanding as well. or maybe just setting graphics to High instead of Ultra.

I want a 55-60" 4k (true) 120Hz monitor. Why monitors are 2X the price of TV's, I will never understand. But right now, 99% of 4K televisions, that I could use as a monitor, have "motion rate 240 or 960" etc, but the True Panel refresh rate @ 4K is still 30hz or 60hz. Someone need to come out with 50-60" 4K monitors at a "reasonable" cost. I will pay $1000-$1500 for a monitor if it's High end Quality.

I am a bit of a videophile, which is why I bought a Samsung plasma just before they went away. No LED LCD I have seen comes close to my picture Quality. It might be "brighter" but not better.

I can't stand the "picture jitter" I see every time I look at a LED TV.

I want to game like The picture i added here. 8' away from TV sitting on a comfy couch or chair. Not sitting at a computer desk with a 34" widescreen 2.5' away.

This post was edited by Naim at July 15, 2016 9:54 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    July 15, 2016 11:35 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

DX12 and Vulkan are not opposing, DX12 allows for Vulkan.

That's not exactly accurate. Vulkan is a graphics API like DirectX, and aims to offer everything that DX12 offers from any operating system. It's basically the successor to OpenGL ES and if successful, will make games accessible outside of the Windows environment (including OSX).

Because they offer cross platform support and the same features as DX12 without Windows10, it puts them in direct competition.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/vulkan-vs-directx/

Unity3d plans to support Vulkan in the next quarter

This post was edited by Dullahan at July 16, 2016 1:45 AM PDT
    • 671 posts
    July 16, 2016 7:00 PM PDT

Naim said:

Hieromonk said:

100% agree with the 480 being the best value for 1080p gaming. like you said, it can do 1440p on games that aren't extremely demanding as well. or maybe just setting graphics to High instead of Ultra.

I want a 55-60" 4k (true) 120Hz monitor. Why monitors are 2X the price of TV's, I will never understand. But right now, 99% of 4K televisions, that I could use as a monitor, have "motion rate 240 or 960" etc, but the True Panel refresh rate @ 4K is still 30hz or 60hz. Someone need to come out with 50-60" 4K monitors at a "reasonable" cost. I will pay $1000-$1500 for a monitor if it's High end Quality.

I am a bit of a videophile, which is why I bought a Samsung plasma just before they went away. No LED LCD I have seen comes close to my picture Quality. It might be "brighter" but not better.

I want to game like The picture i added here. 8' away from TV sitting on a comfy couch or chair. Not sitting at a computer desk with a 34" widescreen 2.5' away.

Aye, that is the current conundrum among many life-long gamers. (Many or ready to upgrade their rigs as Windows10 usheres in a new epoch)

The next 2 years will be huge for the gaming industry and Visionary Realms and us gamers will reap the benefit of whats to come. A soundly built system will be able to whether it all, if you choose your components and upgrades wisely. It is a system and you build it as such, hinged around your current & future needs.

That is why many see the AMD RX480 as a win/win for 1080p (& some 1440p) gaming. It will handle all the new tech and more, for sub $200 card.

Those who want to push bigger displays and more resolution have only one chose right now, the $659 GTX 1080.

Or... wait for AMD's new "high end" cards (code named vega) around Octobish? Which is suppose to compete real nicely against Nvidia's GTX1080. The reason for waiting is based on industry speculated, that AMD's hardware runs the Vulkans API better than Nvidia's current crop... and that might give it a huge buying advantage for those who will be playing games based on Vulkan (mantle) & even some forms of DX12 games too.

As an example of this, is in the new DOOM game (using Vulkan), the $199 RX is nearly competing with the $450 GTX. That is a cherry pick comparison, but it does illustrate how amazing of an era we are in.

Naim...   I feel your angst, but there is light at the end of the tunnel^^.

Monitors will always be more expensive than televisions, because they have higher end & better circuitry. Right now the thing to look at is OLED for gaming. Kinda pricey, but buy next year it will be in all high-end gaming monitors.. with a high-end price tag. But if the new 55" LG OLED (pictured above) wasn't so big for where I want to put it, I would already own one for gaming. It is because the pixils in OLED change 10X faster than any LCD/LED gaming monitors, it is what the gaming industry has been waiting for.

To me, the search has ended and something like this new LG oled is pretty much the last monitor one would have to buy. I've seen it used as a TV w/4k netflix, and also as a PC monitor. The blacks are most incredible thing & almost hard to explain without seeing it... and you'll also notice that text is uber sharp.

Now, it is really hard to justify the $3k price, but again 3 years time & for some Pantheon...(?) Heck, by then many will have a choice between a large oled like that^, or VR helmet, etc..

• 109 posts
    July 16, 2016 11:43 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

Naim said:

Hieromonk said:

Aye, that is the current conundrum among many life-long gamers. (Many or ready to upgrade their rigs as Windows10 usheres in a new epoch)

The next 2 years will be huge for the gaming industry and Visionary Realms and us gamers will reap the benefit of whats to come. A soundly built system will be able to whether it all, if you choose your components and upgrades wisely. It is a system and you build it as such, hinged around your current & future needs.

That is why many see the AMD RX480 as a win/win for 1080p (& some 1440p) gaming. It will handle all the new tech and more, for sub $200 card.

Those who want to push bigger displays and more resolution have only one chose right now, the $659 GTX 1080.

Or... wait for AMD's new "high end" cards (code named vega) around Octobish? Which is suppose to compete real nicely against Nvidia's GTX1080. The reason for waiting is based on industry speculated, that AMD's hardware runs the Vulkans API better than Nvidia's current crop... and that might give it a huge buying advantage for those who will be playing games based on Vulkan (mantle) & even some forms of DX12 games too.

As an example of this, is in the new DOOM game (using Vulkan), the $199 RX is nearly competing with the $450 GTX. That is a cherry pick comparison, but it does illustrate how amazing of an era we are in.

Naim...   I feel your angst, but there is light at the end of the tunnel^^.

Monitors will always be more expensive than televisions, because they have higher end & better circuitry. Right now the thing to look at is OLED for gaming. Kinda pricey, but buy next year it will be in all high-end gaming monitors.. with a high-end price tag. But if the new 55" LG OLED (pictured above) wasn't so big for where I want to put it, I would already own one for gaming. It is because the pixils in OLED change 10X faster than any LCD/LED gaming monitors, it is what the gaming industry has been waiting for.

To me, the search has ended and something like this new LG oled is pretty much the last monitor one would have to buy. I've seen it used as a TV w/4k netflix, and also as a PC monitor. The blacks are most incredible thing & almost hard to explain without seeing it... and you'll also notice that text is uber sharp.

Now, it is really hard to justify the $3k price, but again 3 years time & for some Pantheon...(?) Heck, by then many will have a choice between a large oled like that^, or VR helmet, etc..

I would be willing to pay the $3k for the OLED 4K. I have been wanting an OLED for a while now, I was just waiting for Samsung to jump into the game because Samsung, when they do jump in,  will do it better than LG. I can't remember what it was an article said exactly, but basically, LG is sort of cheating (even though it still looks amazing), and samsung says their OLED tech is better (and not done the cheating way LG does it) and of course, it's more expensive, which is why Samsung hasn't released a TV using the better tech.

I wish I could be more specific or clear about it, but it was many months ago that I read the article. Basically there is two ways to do OLED. the way LG is doing it now, and they way it Should be done, which is how samsung will do it when they get in the OLED market.

I will buy the LG OLED for gaming, but I just know that if I just wait, the price will take a dive and come down drastically about 5 minutes after I buy mine. So now I am trying to wait out the pricing.

If Pantheon's release date ends up being before the price drop, oh well. I will use it until it dies.

I really hope large format monitors that are at the end of the tunnel are in a short tunnel. Of course it goes without saying. I will be building a MONSTER machine when I build.

I have a Maxed out 5K iMac (i7 4.0Ghz Skylake, 24GB ram, pure flash storage, AMD 395X 4GB card) it handles evey single game I throw at it quite well. I play at 2560x1440 or 3440x1800 on ultra on the games I play, but then again, I only play MMO games, not FPS first person shooters. ( I run a bootcamped Windows 10 partition on the 2nd half of the flash hard drive )

This post was edited by Naim at July 16, 2016 11:55 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    July 17, 2016 3:08 AM PDT

Lets try to keep this thread on topic please folks, if it isn't related to Direct X then the discussions will have to move to more appropriate threads, we do have tech talk threads for PC setups and Graphics cards active but let's respect the OP and keep this one on topic. :)

• 184 posts
    July 22, 2016 6:33 PM PDT

A very interesting read on Vulkan and the technology behind it from PCGamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-benchmarks-return-vulkan-vs-opengl/

• 23 posts
    July 26, 2016 3:55 AM PDT

DX12 + 64bit client = yummy yummy

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    July 28, 2016 12:31 AM PDT

The Client is already 64bit.

I would assume, by launch, we'll be using DX12, but we are currently DX11.

I'll ping our CTO and see if he wants to add/correct anything.

• 613 posts
    July 28, 2016 3:44 PM PDT

Aradune said:

I know Unity supports DX12 but how big a deal is it to alter code to accept the change?  More of a curiousity on that.  Also with current development does it makes sense to develope using DX12 or sit at DX11?

Ox

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    July 28, 2016 3:47 PM PDT

Oxillion said:

Aradune said:

I know Unity supports DX12 but how big a deal is it to alter code to accept the change?  More of a curiousity on that.  Also with current development does it makes sense to develope using DX12 or sit at DX11?

Ox

I could guess, but I would rather let my CTO/Lead Programmer answer -- will ping him about this thread.