Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Items that have more to them than you may realize...

• 37 posts
    July 6, 2016 11:11 PM PDT

I've always thought how the names of items seem so irrelevant in MMOs. Clearly, as we all know, some do have meaning, but I feel like it could be done even better.

Here's a wonderful fake example: You see a low-level gnome running around in the Gnome homecity with a weapon called the "Gnome-Smasher", who got that weapon as a drop on a main-character that was raiding the Gnome homecity. Something about that just seems wrong.

A great concept would be items that have "wearable" faction hits. My brain can't remember if this has been incorporated in any MMOs in the past decade but it sure would be a nice thing to incorporate. That gnome should become KoS to Gnomes with that weapon equiped. Or maybe, that gnome shouldn't be able to use that weapon at all. Or that gnome shouldn't be able to gain reputation with any allied races of Gnomes while it is equiped.

I feel that having a few items like this would bring more realism to the game. Elvish races don't want you walking around with a 2h Axe called the "Elf Chopper"...the humans don't want you walking around with the "Human-Head Amulet"...and so on. Think about it...it makes sense that killing dragons would piss off Lord Yelinak in Skyshrine and ruin your rep with him...coming to him while wearing "The Skull of Susarrak the Crusader" should piss him off a billion-times more.

*I just want to add, that this would have to be limited to a few specific items. I'm not sure how you would go about choosing which item that drops off the dragon should have this penalty, but you wouldn't want a situation where all your gear comes from 15 different places and as a result, you can't go anywhere without getting naked.

This post was edited by Dreake at July 6, 2016 11:18 PM PDT
    • 132 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:01 AM PDT

1. I really hope brad and team come up with better weapon names than Gnomesmasher.

2. I don't want to be KOS because I have a piece of gear. Faction is Faction. You have to work on it for a reason.

3. And yes, if you kill dragons, you become KOS to dragons (even if you weren't to begin with) so having a Dragon slayer sword making you more KOS doesn't make sense.

I get where you are coming from, but I don't really care for KOS armor/items. Not being mean, it just isn't something I want personally.

Instead of gear making me KOS to my own home town, I would rather see weapons or gear (mostly weapons) like from the Forgotten Realms Drizzt books: Twinkle:

Like all magical weapons, this +2 defending scimitar had an enchantment that made the blade sharper and the weapon more likely to strike true. This enchantment could be diverted in order to make the wielder better at parrying an opponent's blow. Twinkle had a star-cut azure sapphire on its pommel and when it detected danger nearby it softly glowed blue.[2] It was partially empathic and could impart weak, base emotions upon its wielder.[3]

"It was forged in the magic of the powers that all the surface elves hold dear," said Malchor. "Of the stars and the moon and the mysteries of their souls. You deserve it, Drizzt Do'Urden, and it will serve you well."” — R.A. Salvatore, The Halfling's Gem

I would rather armor / weapons have a story behind them, maybe be tied into the Perception system in Pantheon. Maybe a certain weapon/item could help with certain perceptions. Empathic Perceptions.

This post was edited by Medjai at July 7, 2016 12:03 AM PDT
    • 15 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:36 PM PDT

See i would like it if you use a Weapon and get use to it can do little more dam. Like say u get a new weap and u are not use to it u would do less dam but as u get use to it u do more dam cuz u know the weap better.

• 112 posts
    July 7, 2016 2:38 PM PDT

love if you looted a normal looking sword, used it for 10 levels, only to have it burst into flames the first time you fight an ogre and do triple damage

"haha, guess its an ogre-bane sword"

yes it would be interesting as well, you carry some weapon or armor that is identified as being from a certain faction, and when you encounter their enemies, they are like "what the hell are you wearing THAT for?"...and you suffer for it. try explaining to someone why you are ensconced in the gear of their enemies.

• 1434 posts
    July 7, 2016 3:11 PM PDT

I don't see why there couldn't be items that give negative faction. I mean illusion masks made players KOS in EQ. If a weapon is symbolic for opposition to a certain race, a "worn" faction reduction seems about right.

• 172 posts
    July 7, 2016 5:36 PM PDT

I think faction reducing items are a great idea.  This could be a lot of fun actually!

They just need to be careful with faction increasing items as these will reduce the value of actually earning the faction increase.

• 644 posts
    July 8, 2016 8:31 AM PDT

I would love to see some faction effects (good or bad) based on what I am wearing/wielding

If you have an enemy's crest on your shield or armor, you should be disliked in the city and unequipping it changes that

• 763 posts
    July 8, 2016 2:05 PM PDT

I don't see why items could not have some faction penalty built in - as long as ID'ing the item revealed this.

Eg: Mask of the Dark-Elf [made by flaying face off a Dark elf and magically tanning it]

1. gives nightvision +15 feet, +5 RR vs Psionics

2. gives -250 Elf faction while worn. only -25 when carried.

CRAFTABLE:

1. Skinning (100+) needed to get rare 'pristine flayed Dark-Elf face' using siver flansing knife

2. Tanner (120+) needed with Alchmist (90+) to tan in granite vat.

3. Enchanter with Divination (110+) to group with Leather-Worker (135+) to create.

4. Base success chance 40% (Critical fail chance 4%)

...and there you have it... a 'lovely' magic item to be sold for $$$.