Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Post Stream Take-Aways and Thoughts?

• 316 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:16 PM PDT
    Do we know for certain the yellow circling shield spell visual and red axe berserk visual are placeholders? I really hope so. I've always winced at visuals like that - very immersion-breaking. Would much rather a glow or even the green circles ala EQ to denote a shield spell - seems like it makes more sense. And maybe a roar from the enemy when they go berserk - red flying spirit axes all of a sudden? Just doesn't make sense. The game looks GREAT so far and I'm very excited, I just hope that type of artificial, boring effect visual doesn't make it into the game by release.
    • 724 posts
    June 24, 2016 11:09 PM PDT

I really liked the look of Blackdagger Keep and the Cave. Very nice world and lighting art there!

I'm wondering a bit if the difficulty of the game is right, as it seemed fights in the cave took pretty long and wipes also happened pretty easily. For now I'll write that down to poor coordination and use of spells/abilities. I suppose alpha/beta will show if the "general" playerbase can work with this difficulty (after all, we want to play and not wipe all evening, and we wont have those nice GM respawn abilities).

One thing in particular that annoyed my aesthetic sense was the huge sword that Elenic (sp?) looted: An example of what I hope won't be in the game (swords that are as huge as the players body, yet he easily wields it in one hand). Of course this is probably an early/free art asset so it may not be in the final game.

But overall: Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more!

EDIT: Speaking of wiping: Will those graveyards (spawn back at cave entrance) be in the game or was this done for the video only?

This post was edited by Sarim at June 24, 2016 11:10 PM PDT
    • 147 posts
    June 25, 2016 5:15 AM PDT

Buff Icons with the Trim Timer was nice way to see at a glance how long til the buff needed refreshed.

The guards at the front of the keep were indifferent, didnt need to kill them. Guess you wanted to show faction hits?

If there wont be a way to make macros, how will you handle things like /assist  

Hopefully it will be a skill and have its own key don't really want to have to type commands during coimbat.

Enjoyed the stream keep up the great work.

• 1860 posts
    June 25, 2016 5:28 AM PDT

Obliquity said:

If there wont be a way to make macros, how will you handle things like /assist  

There is a difference between macros and hotkeys.

• 2138 posts
    June 25, 2016 8:09 AM PDT

REMEMBER THE AUDIENCE

Nice to see alot of new faces (so-to-speak) in the twitch-chat. Nice to see familiar questions asked.

In the desire to move forward I also get mildly irked to go over old stuff and sometikmes fail at trying not to roll my eyes and belly-ache in exasperation.

That exasperation is felt by the newbie as condensation- I mean condecending- and maybe felt also as shaming or general "putting-down"

- just because someone new has not seen where I have been, and is walking that path for the first time and I give them a rabbit-face because they can't see that first step is a doozy...*phsaw*

Yes, isn't this forum nice, alot of good stuff here, can get a good taste of the milleu (sp?) of the pantheon community at large. And if you know the life-hack that says: "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room"  Well, I am proud to say that in these forums, I think I am in the right room.

When did proverbs become wisdom? when did wisdom become old-wives-tales?, when did old-wives-tales become....Life Hacks? 0_o

I like this definition of wisdom: knowing what you need to do, when you don't know what to do.

• 288 posts
    June 25, 2016 11:06 AM PDT

Larirawiel said:

The positive: 

Overall graphics and lighting! The game looks similar to TES: Skyrim.

And the overall difficulty level seems to be high. The bosses wiped the group very easy.

The negative:

Two hours long slaying very generic mobs. I hope the fights will be streamlined in the future. Lowering the hitpoints of the mobs and the players could help.

Greetings

Please don't do the bolded above.  This is exactly what I don't want to see happen, the longer fights are the more strategy that can be required.  I do not want to see something like BDO where you kill 100s of mobs a second with nothing more than a flick of your wrist, but each mob is as irrelevant as the next.

• 112 posts
    June 25, 2016 11:07 AM PDT

liked how the group working its way deeper in lead to tougher opponents. i find the look appealing, even if it is only placeholder stuff.

i enjoyed the stream, have watche dit twice (3 if you count VoT recap), and i appreciate that the ytook the time, as well as that things like this keep the game in the public eye, as it were.

personally, ive seen enough basic gameplay elements.  would much rather have seen a 10 minute video, even if it were a GM character in a scripted area, entering a mana climate or or area that had an atmsopheric effect. SHOW us how these things work, what we can expect (even if the current iteration is not final). ive gotten the gist of the combat and group dynamics from the first stream (this one wasnt really much different). we got a glimpse of the perception system - start showing the other mechanics that will make this game a bit more unique, even if they are in the proto stages.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    June 25, 2016 11:31 AM PDT

Great comments and questions -- we will be answering a lot of them soon in this thread.

• 200 posts
    June 25, 2016 12:15 PM PDT

Rallyd said:

Please don't do the bolded above.  This is exactly what I don't want to see happen, the longer fights are the more strategy that can be required.  I do not want to see something like BDO where you kill 100s of mobs a second with nothing more than a flick of your wrist, but each mob is as irrelevant as the next.

I guess, my posting was a little bit ambiguous. English is not my native language, sorry. I meant the >>generic<< part of those fights. Fighting mobs, which have basically only one melee autoattack and this two hours long is nothing that i will find funny. It's more brainless grind in my eyes. I have nothing against longer fights but those fights should have much more variety.

Greetings

• 316 posts
    June 25, 2016 12:16 PM PDT
    Any plans to link perception with a stat, say intelligence? That way, casters would perceive more and be valuable in a group for their perception, as they would be in a real scenario, most likely.

Or perhaps having certain classes perceive certain things more easily than others? Though I would still think a Wizard, for example, having arguably the most "knowledge", might be able to discern an ancient weapon or trap just as easily as the practiced warrior or rogue. But I am influenced by the LotR design of wizards!
    • 1714 posts
    June 25, 2016 12:18 PM PDT

Larirawiel said:

The positive: 

Overall graphics and lighting! The game looks similar to TES: Skyrim.

And the overall difficulty level seems to be high. The bosses wiped the group very easy.

The negative:

Two hours long slaying very generic mobs. I hope the fights will be streamlined in the future. Lowering the hitpoints of the mobs and the players could help.

Greetings

It's interesting to see this opinion. Mine is quite the opposite. Most of the encounters seemd quite trivial. "In EQ" you would very very rarely, if EVER take on a red con mob, let alone a named, let alone with adds, unless you were in a raid situation with multiple groups. I know this isn't EQ, and as others have mentioned the team has to make their way through the content in a limited period of time and we will obviously see changes to balance, but the difficulty remains low. 

• 1778 posts
    June 25, 2016 1:28 PM PDT

@Alexander

Well at some point in the recent past the devs also mentioned class specific perceptions as well. I think there could be general perceptions for anyone, as well as perceptions based on faction or class. I have speculated in the Bard thread that they might have better knowledge or Lore and Legends so might get "extra" clues for instance from an npc giving out tips. But not to the point that you have to have a bard to get that info. But of course different classes could specialize in different perceptions etc.

• 16 posts
    June 25, 2016 3:50 PM PDT

So many questions we have......

Yes indeed lol!!

Crafting and mining gathering etc. Characters that can become so much better at what they were designed for. Than other classes. For example

I hope we dont see other classes outheal a cleric or a bard outmezzing a chanter etc etc. These are examples and not meant to bash any classes.

But hopefully make each class important in its own right. Balancing act i am sure it is.

• 202 posts
    June 25, 2016 3:56 PM PDT

Amsai said:

@Alexander

Well at some point in the recent past the devs also mentioned class specific perceptions as well. I think there could be general perceptions for anyone, as well as perceptions based on faction or class. I have speculated in the Bard thread that they might have better knowledge or Lore and Legends so might get "extra" clues for instance from an npc giving out tips. But not to the point that you have to have a bard to get that info. But of course different classes could specialize in different perceptions etc.

I hope the Perceptions system will be designed for each class. Obviously have the ones that everyone can use but then you have ones such as I.E.

Your party is going through a dungeon, You find a mechanically locked bridge. (if you have lets say a Rogue in the party) The Rogue recieves a message which gives clues to a hidden lever or button or trap (unknowingly it was a trap). Where as a Wizard may walk into a magic school of sorts and may recieve a message about dark magic emitting from a book, or a nearby student.

It would also be interesting as you said to have perceptions based on factions, If you have high or low enough faction with said "people".

• 106 posts
    June 25, 2016 5:49 PM PDT
    Thanks Medjai +1, i need to find time to finish watching the stream.
    • 44 posts
    June 25, 2016 5:59 PM PDT

There has been quite a bit about caster spells, but we haven't seen how the melee classes will behave in combat.  Please, I hope it isn't turn on auto attack, taunt, and the occasional kick.  More information on melee classes.  I watched both streams and it was lacking.

• 132 posts
    June 25, 2016 6:28 PM PDT

Simples said: Thanks Medjai +1, i need to find time to finish watching the stream.

it's awesome. Keep watching !  :D

• 132 posts
    June 25, 2016 6:31 PM PDT

Manouk said:

REMEMBER THE AUDIENCE

Nice to see alot of new faces (so-to-speak) in the twitch-chat. Nice to see familiar questions asked.

In the desire to move forward I also get mildly irked to go over old stuff and sometikmes fail at trying not to roll my eyes and belly-ache in exasperation.

That exasperation is felt by the newbie as condensation- I mean condecending- and maybe felt also as shaming or general "putting-down"

- just because someone new has not seen where I have been, and is walking that path for the first time and I give them a rabbit-face because they can't see that first step is a doozy...*phsaw*

Yes, isn't this forum nice, alot of good stuff here, can get a good taste of the milleu (sp?) of the pantheon community at large. And if you know the life-hack that says: "If you are the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room"  Well, I am proud to say that in these forums, I think I am in the right room.

When did proverbs become wisdom? when did wisdom become old-wives-tales?, when did old-wives-tales become....Life Hacks? 0_o

I like this definition of wisdom: knowing what you need to do, when you don't know what to do.

ummm. what ?

glad you liked the stream ? 

• 10 posts
    June 25, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

Aradune, it was wonderful meeting you in Cohh’s stream the other day.  I hope you and the Dev’s view it for the success that we all thought it was. Great job!

I also had the same thought as Zenya earlier on.  Does no scripting mean no macro’s?  Macro’s were pretty important in EQ with only a few lines and no ability to call other macro’s.  They streamlined group comms (pulls, cc) and allowed for greater group teamwork (/assist) with less(?) drama. I don’t see them providing any functionality that a modern mouse or keyboard has today and allows us to keep these features in game. What are your thoughts?

• 132 posts
    June 25, 2016 10:56 PM PDT

Abryca said:

Amsai said: I would actually like that autoattack to be a bit faster and the encounters to be a bit longer. Mobs die too fast. P.S. Its nice to see reddit is still a bastion of maturity and superior knowledge..... >.>

definitely more analysis on reddit than your sage contributions; your post ironically checks out.

lol analysis on a PRE PRE ALPHA.... makes sense. All I saw on reddit was people praising the game and one idiot bitching about how Brad and group were terrible, they didn't know how to play etc. 

The idiot even went on rambling about how "fail" it was to play with others misses on... REALLY? who takes time to customize chat boxes for a one time demo.... 

This was brad and the gang having a casual, fun run just to show off a few things. People need to stop taking it so seriously.

I can bet that Brad could play as good as anyone out there if they were in some serious, hard core area or raid. The stream was excellent.

Brad doesn't have to share anyting yet. He's doing it for the fun of it. 

My hope is, by showing what the game is like, it will weed out the some wow player elitist jerks, and if they don't like what they are seeing, they can go away. 

I hope to find out a few forum peoples in game character names (when it goes live) so i can make sure i never group with them and the game isn't even out yet. 

This post was edited by Medjai at June 25, 2016 11:06 PM PDT
    • 13 posts
    June 25, 2016 11:04 PM PDT

Alexander said: Do we know for certain the yellow circling shield spell visual and red axe berserk visual are placeholders? I really hope so. I've always winced at visuals like that - very immersion-breaking. Would much rather a glow or even the green circles ala EQ to denote a shield spell - seems like it makes more sense. And maybe a roar from the enemy when they go berserk - red flying spirit axes all of a sudden? Just doesn't make sense. The game looks GREAT so far and I'm very excited, I just hope that type of artificial, boring effect visual doesn't make it into the game by release.

I believe in the stream they said animations and player models we saw were all place holders. Makes sense to get the game right first then work on making things looking pretty.

• 724 posts
    June 25, 2016 11:28 PM PDT

Another question I thought about: iirc, the chanter (Aleister) never mezed more than one mob during all the stream. I also think it was mentioned the mez spell was not sticking well on some mobs, maybe he thought it was too unreliable? I'm curious if it was this or because there's a game mechanic (cannot mez more than one mob at once)?

• 1281 posts
    June 26, 2016 12:35 AM PDT

Looks fantastic!

Loved the weapon effectiveness discussion. That type of gameplay has been around in tabletop RPG's for a long time but I haven't seen it much in MMO's.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 26, 2016 12:45 AM PDT
    • 279 posts
    June 26, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

Favorite parts:

- Visual status effects aside from the icons. The stars/red axes/pink & wavy bubble for the stuns/berserk rage/mezzed effects. The effects looked good but could be better of course. I hope these stay in, very visual and easy to see for strategic combat without the need to stare at status icons all the time. I couldn't tell if bleed actually caused blood to leak out but if not, it should :P
    - Fire AoE already looks good.
    - The Black Dagger Keep looked great up close. More sturdy looking than the impressions I got from the screenshots. Not claustrophobic or hard to navigate either.
    - Halnir Cave looks like a fine multi-level dungeon layout. Again, not claustrophobic and I think I could find my way around the zone in the areas you showed without getting too lost.
    - Harvestable crystals inside dungeons. Curious to see what these are all about. If they're just zone specific and they have to do with the colored mana or something that can help you or if they tie into crafting in any way. It would be cool if there was some crafting materials in dungeons that adventurers could sell to crafters or even rare ones in raid zones for guilds to use or sell.
    - Ninja looting the Named...kind of. The Named had a ring on and he tried to loot all on it but his inventory was full. The rogue ended up looting it after that. When asked what the Named dropped he says it didn't have anything on it haha.
    - Trains seem to be encouraged. I expect no bans to come my way when I train ;)

Criticism:

- Enchanter is maybe not the best choice to be the viewpoint class of the stream. All of the "pro" Enchanters in the chat were going crazy because they're used to being so on-point with their mezzes every time and trying to regen mana instead of doing melee combat. Please take no offense, he did a fine job with all the resists, fizzles and group members breaking the mezzes. Any other classes point of view would probably be more forgiving and not grind as many gears.
    Stuff I'd like for the next stream:

- Both the Atmospheres/Climates System and the Perception System in the same stream.
    - More advanced Atmospheres/Climates demonstration to see how it's progressed.
    - More advanced Perception demonstration specific to a class or show what another class sees differently.
    - Possibly a new class unless it's not time to develope them yet. A Ranger would make for a good stream perspective.
    - A new zone for those who think the game is nothing but trees. How about the desert?
    - Weather system and how it effects things.
    - Loot from a named. I know it's pointless but people in chat wanted to see the loot dropped from a named. You should really do a roll for it like it's a big deal.
    - Dispositions and Behaviors. Lets see some mobs who's only go after Kilsin.
    - Situational gear. It was talked about but not really shown. Maybe start the stream with a few different weapon types so you can show the damage differences.

• 10 posts
    June 26, 2016 6:22 AM PDT

I just wanted to say I watched the stream live on Thursday and loved it.  It ran so smooth for pre-alpha. It just brought me back to my days in Everquest. Brad and the entire team in VR you guys are doing a great job. I pledge way back but I feel like I will upgrade my pledge to help the team out. Can't wait to see the next stream and what else you guys have planned for us in the future.