Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Casting and Weapons (Animations)

• 432 posts
    June 22, 2016 10:50 PM PDT

Hello lovers of Pantheon,

Today I wanted to bring a new topic about ‘casting animations’. I hope it’s not too late into development that this concern won’t be able to see a future.

My husband had a big gripe (which means I do to, because that’s how this sort of thing works you know) In World of Warcraft when he cast a spell his weapon disappeared or appeared ‘sheathed’ at his side or on his back. His off-hand tool (book,orb etc) would just disappear as it didn’t have a sheath look. When he pointed this out to me I was a little ticked off.

As a Melee class I get to see my weapon flying everywhere doing all the fun slicy/smashy in nose n’ facey so I’ve never had an issue. When we played Elder Scrolls Online it was a huge thing to see the weapons be used in the casting animations.

What does everyone else feel about casting animations? Should staves and wands be an instrument to bring forth a spell with your focus, just like melee weapons are the instrument which combines with your will to deliver your attack? What do you think?

-Todd

This post was edited by tehtawd at June 22, 2016 10:51 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    June 23, 2016 6:34 AM PDT

Good question:

The problem with having all weapons be a part of the casting process is that not all weapons are traditionally used as focus objects for casting.

For example, I can certainly see a wand, staff, orb, or book used as a crafting focus, and absolutely those should play a visual role in the casting process. However, in EQ you would see casters with knives, and even scythes! Frankly, I think it would look kind of silly to flail around a scythe while casting a spell.

So the devs would have to either make it specific to each weapon - or show a visual animation of your character sheathing or putting away all of his weapons/handhelds before casting a spell.

• 132 posts
    June 23, 2016 7:15 AM PDT

I could see some fun animations while still holding your weapon. I imaging a wizard sticking the bottom of his into the ground when casting a AE Root spell etc. 

However, wizards can also use daggers and swords, so I am not sure how those would look, or if a druid with a club or mace casting the same spell. 

I don't remember weapons disappearing when casting in EQ or Vanguard, the toon just kind of waves the weapon in the jesture. 

I see Brad and team having some fun with animations because they have such a better engine to start with than they had back in 1999. 

This will be one of those things that will likely be added during the polish stage closer to the end of development. 

• 109 posts
    June 23, 2016 9:35 AM PDT

the weapons should be plunged into the earth momentarily while the spells are casted, then immediately picked back up. how bad ass that would look!

aaaaand I was a little late on that idea. though I was thinking not just staff but sword(s) as well.. daggers can be thrown in the air while casted.. but those are tricky. if you fizzle, you may drop your weapon and have to pick it back up! ;) another cool skill!!

it definitely sounds like the animations would be set per each weapon, but it'd also be cool if each weapon had a few different animations.

(if in snow condition do this, if in water do this, etc. per surroundings...  if a quick spell cast do this, if a slow cast spell do this...)

I know it doesn't sound like much but would be a crap ton of coding and would be very unique! 

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at March 15, 2017 4:56 PM PDT