Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Top Three Features/functions

• 428 posts
    June 20, 2016 3:26 PM PDT

Pantheon Community,

I know we have discussed a lot of different features that we want or do not want and I thought as way to make it easier for new people as well as Devs to go to and get ideas we should have a thread where everyone can list their top 3 wants and a short description why.  Please do not argue with other features or add additional input.  I would like to use this as a way  to name different features players want and to centralize them all.  If we keep this free of trash it can serve as a very useful tool for new ideas.    

So please start listing but lets leave it at that.  If a new feature is mentioned opena new thread to discuss everything about it.  or search to see already provided feedback 

1:  Limited Fast travel.  Some fast travel is good maybe to get to the central regions after that you should run it or go on horse back.  It helps build cordination getting 6 people or 100 people to one spot when they are running.

2:  I would like a market board showing what people are selling and where they are.  If they are offline they shouldnt appear on the board but a few boards in the hub cities would be great so i can decide if the item is worth the journey and we arent all stuck in one small area.

3:  World events.  EQ2 would slowly add changes to certain zones as an expansion came out.  A metour strike in one zone would show the devstation to the land in zone A.  But in Zone 3 the earthquakes opened new tunnels that start to lead to a new zone to explore. 

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at June 20, 2016 4:12 PM PDT
    • 156 posts
    June 20, 2016 5:23 PM PDT

1/ Class distinction: Each character class is different in some distinguishable way and each of the class archetypes is markedly different from the others. To thrive in higher end content, a party needs to have at least one of each of the archetypes.

2/ Difficult/sense of achievement: Taking a character to max level should take time and effort (many months) and give the player a true sense of achievement - no endless grinding though.

3/ Player driven economy: Let the players drive and shape the economy through gathering, crafting and gear drops. Let supply and demand actually mean something (within reason - newbies characters should be able to afford basic gear regardless of inflation).

• 232 posts
    June 21, 2016 7:26 AM PDT

1.  Class interdependance without homogenization:  Classes should be unique, fill specific roles, without feeling like retreads of each other with different spell effects.

2.  Risk vs Reward:  Gear should be earned, not handed out.  Harder content should yield greater rewards, with the main factors of success weighted towards teamwork, reacting to evolving situations, and group makeup.

3.  Fear and Respect:  Death should be very swift, and it should be painful.  Respect for the game world and a feeling that you are small and insignificant by yourself.

• 76 posts
    June 21, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

1. Unique items/weapons/gear that are tradeable, but very difficult to obtain

2. Spells and skills that gain additional animation as you obtain higher levels

3. Low level dungeons that can't be completed in two hours: things in EQ similar to Crushbone and Unrest, where one could spend many levels in the same area

• 132 posts
    June 21, 2016 8:25 AM PDT

1. Death penalty with exp loss with possible level loss, but no corpse runs. 

2. Low level dungeons starting at lev 4 (like befallen) 

3. Slow leveling. Getting max level should take Months, not weeks. 

• 432 posts
    June 21, 2016 8:34 AM PDT

I know we have discussed a lot of different features that we want or do not want and I thought as way to make it easier for new people as well as Devs to go to and get ideas we should have a thread where everyone can list their top 3 wants and a short description why. 

1. Enemy NPC’s (Mobs) which are masterfully built.

Did you play Tera when it first came out? I purchased the game when it first came out, I was one of the founders of that game. When I had to go against my first BAM I died by myself. It wasn’t just because the mob hit harder, it was because the mob was unpredictable, I had to learn it’s movements, wait for very difficult to see que’s to let me know what I should do next. While Pantheon does not have true-action combat, it still has the opportunity to treat their mobs with the same respect.

• : A caster mob with multiple abilities they cast that have different effects. Knowing which one to get out of the way of, or which one to bash is critical.
    • : Mobs that have knockbacks or blinds, things which can’t be avoided or are difficult to avoid
    • :A mob that becomes stronger when you prevent it from using their skill so you have to stop it from casting or using a skill then kite it with your team.

1. Rewarding TANK gameplay.

Tanks have always been my favorite. They are a true support class, the healer who prevents damage by ‘taking’ it. In World of Warcraft there was a discipline priest who cast power word shield on people, a bubble which prevents damage. My entire life bar was that for my team. I hope in Pantheon they include the following for the tanks.

• :Knock-backs to help us quickly get an enemy away from an ally
    • :Snares which help allies run away
    • :Unique spells for Tanks which bubble or heal and can be cast on others.
    • :Catch 22 mechanics such as: If you don’t hit me you get punished in some way
    • :Few and limited taunts to make the gameplay more risky.

1. Turtles and Tortoises

I’m a silly guy and I love turtles and Tortoises. I hope they make it into the game and I really hope I get a chance to have a turtle as a mini non-combat pet to follow me around that I can name. And I’ll name him Stompy Turtle! And he’ll go around and stomp! It will be amazing! (I’m being totally serious right now.)

-Todd

This post was edited by tehtawd at June 21, 2016 9:09 AM PDT
    • 428 posts
    June 22, 2016 8:13 AM PDT

good suggestions so far lets keep them coming

• 644 posts
    June 22, 2016 8:36 AM PDT

1) REAL travel.  No instant travel portals and no dumbed-down maps.  spells are fine but no books, stones or portals.  Travel should be part of the world experience.  Boat travel, land travel, SLOW travel.  gearing up and heading out and treking across a continent should be part of the life experience, not just insta-click and battle.  This is a world to live in, not a MOBA to play after school.

2) REAL death penalties, including corpse runs, experience loss and deleveling.

3) Total unpredictability and mystery.  Make quests, mobs, nameds, drops, painfully inconsistent (go look up the addictive power of "Intermittent Reinforcement"  That's why Everquest was called evercamp and evercrack.  I want to camp out a named mob for who-knows-how-long to see if it might drop a rare item.  I want CAMPS.  Don't make anything predictable and timing perfect.   Let the playerbase figure **** out - even if we're wrong.  Urban legends (like how to spawn Quillmane) abound and are part of the magic.

• 1778 posts
    June 22, 2016 9:47 AM PDT
    Ill first say that I basically agree with everything suggested.

1. For future classes Id really like to see some out of the box thinking. We can have an oldschool game without it having overly traditional classes. We look to have 12 good traditional classes already so hopefully future classes can work differently. Im especially a fan of non healer support classes (buffs and debuffs). I actually think these should have been added and made out system a Hexinity (totally a word). On top of that I love tanking. But these first tank classes are too standard for me. So I cant get excited about them. I suggest evasion or magic based tank if another tank type is made in the future. (No that doesnt mean a tank that can nuke or backstab). As for buffing and debuffing, classes in which the main focus is that.

2. Various approaches to content. Plain and simple it gets boring if all content is exactly alike in approach (not talking lore and such). I just dont want to be in a dungeon and be thinking. Didnt we do this exact same thing for the bosses in the last 8 dungeons? (Tank and spank, camping every boss for 4 hours, killing things to get keys: pick one). Mix it up.
    • 15 posts
    June 22, 2016 4:05 PM PDT

I definitely agree with much posted.

Here's some things I would love to see in the game.

1. Class Epic Quests:

Must be lengthy and play into the lore of each class that further immerses a person into the world of Terminus as their character. When I say lengthy, I'm talking months to complete! Brutal progression requirements, and heavy teamwork are what need to happen. The best feeling I can describe was finally making it to the final turn in for my Rogue Epic with my guildmates around me. People instantly recognized the hard work that was needed to accomplish it, and were quick to comment on how awesome it looked! My guildmates spread the news server wide and I received lots of PM's with congratulations and job well done. It was an amazing feeling both individually and community wise...Plus it was nice to see that sweet dagger gleaming in the sunlight!

2. Alternate Advancements or a variation thereof.

Endgame is going to happen. Some people are extremely dedicated to this game (like myself) and are going to tear through content as soon as they can. This is fine, and I definitely expect it to take a good amount of time to accomplish this, but once the maximum level is achieved, I would love to further improve my character. Here's a good picture example of AA's if people haven't seen them. It's an alternate experience bar that you level up, and you collect points to spend on unique abilities or passive traits that further enhance your character. Things like raw stat increases for endgame content, minor improvements to run speeds, and even specific class enhancements are definitely top on my list. Just because a Rogue hits level 40 or 50 (whatever the cap will be), it doesn't mean he can't learn anymore things or needs to have all skills and traits unlocked, those should be earned with additional effort and definitely take a long time to accomplish as well.

3. Lower stat scaling and particle effects.

For stats scaling, I really don't want to see something with +300 strength so early on, I mean honestly! 50,000 damage doesn't need to come around so soon, and it just fills up my screen with nonsense. Let's scale itemization a bit slower.

For particle effects, I think these should be reserved for extremely hard to get items like epic quests, endgame bosses, and maybe a unique or extremely rare (I'm talking like .0000001% chance droprate) world drops. Spell effects are totally fine and are integral to the lore and fantasy of the game, but item effects should certainly be reserved and rewarded for hard work, or extreme luck (And I mean EXTREME!).

Just my two cents... Anyone else think like me or am I off in the woods here?

-Steelear 

This post was edited by Steelear at June 22, 2016 4:06 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 22, 2016 6:35 PM PDT

They said there would not be alot of quests, but I like the lengthy, story-like, graduated quests. By graduated I mean the quest line is continual and ramps up in difficulty as you go through the phases. Each phase has a nice level dependent reward but the next phase can be initiated, but may  not completed unless you gained a few levels. nott as grand as the epic quest which is player centric, but sort of like scaled down epic quests that is faction/world/people/creature centric for a nice piece of something-or-other gear with suprise bonus effect that is not stated or immediately known- like alchohol tolerance, or smelling like monkeys.

Maybe some ring -type events for a group? - possibly also with a lock-out timer. 

• 2 posts
    June 23, 2016 9:48 AM PDT

1). I really want realistic effects to impact the player - Example - Being blinded - I want the screen to flash all crazy (or go blurry) and make spells miss more. It really just bothers me when I am "blinded" and I can see everything just fine and not have the imersion of an actual impairment. 

2). I want the skills or skill trees to actually matter. I am really dissapointed when playing other games and they ask if I am a certain spec. Or if my skills are in an exact way. I want them ALL to matter and I'd really love to see the cookie cutter "every class here" approach killed off with meaningful skills. 

3). Once a player has reached the maximum level I'd like there to be some sort of incentive to play that toon longer AS WELL AS a reward for creating a new one. Maybe like DAoC did with their /level system (only for maybe the first 5 -10 levels). It allowed people with max level charictors to level up alts by skipping the introductory 1-20 levels.  

I also agree 100% with Fazool's post above :) 

• 178 posts
    June 23, 2016 6:38 PM PDT

1. Attribues matter

If an attribute can be modified at character creature or weapons and items selection or buffs and debuffs then I would like every one of them to actually matter. Maybe not all the time but certainly some of the time. If someone wants to be super strength but dull as a post then have situations where a daull as a post is a hinderance requiring others help and assistance. If someone wants to be super-duper smart but weak as dandelion fuzz then have certain situations where weak as dandelion fuzz requires help and assistance. And this is for every single attribute that can be modified. Further, perhaps minimim (unpublished) attribute strengths to be able to cast or equip or move in some way, shape, or fashion - in some situations and circumstances. If the attribute has little bearing then don't bother factoring it into the game.

2. Variety

A variety in zones, dungeons, encounters. Having minotaurs in Guk was a great example. The chessboard in Butcherblock. The Aviaks in SK. Variety is the spice of adventure.

• 134 posts
    June 23, 2016 7:57 PM PDT

My top 3...

1. Class Diversity. I don't want to see [x] class being able to do more than one major role. Clerics heal. Crusaders tank. Sure they can 'help' a little, but nothing more. Hybrids are acceptable.

2. Items being meaningful. I don't want items raining from the sky. Rare drops should be desired and actually rare, with a known common monster they come from. Rare spawn or not.

3. The most important. NO MAPS!

• 316 posts
    June 24, 2016 9:47 PM PDT
    Steelear - I definitely agree with you! Especially about limiting particle effects on items.
    • 2 posts
    June 26, 2016 7:18 PM PDT

1. Impactful buffs / debuffs - EQ had an iconic buffing system in my opinion. Spirit of Wolf was an absolute game changer. The ability to outrun mobs, or to have SoW on for a corpse run was invaluable. So valuable that I made a Shaman and would sit at EC to hand out SoW buffs for optional tips. The Shaman slow, Enchanter haste, Cleric HP buffs, all of these were immensely powerful and really made the buffing/debuffing system amazing. Dark Age of Camelot had the same thing going for it.

2. Resource scarcity - Whether from currency, mana, gear, experience, or stats on gear, the most fun I have in games is to come up with creative solutions in the face of scarce resources. I'm tired of resource inflation that is so commonly seen in new MMORPG's. I want a 30 damage kick from a warrior to be a lot of damage. I want +2 wisdom bracelets to be camped for. I want a decision making process in "do I save my mana in case this mezz breaks, or do I nuke the focused mob?", and have to live with the consequences if I make the wrong choice. 

3. Risk / Reward - I know this is broad but it is the most important aspect of a good MMORPG in my opinion. I want deaths to hurt, badly. This forces players to respect the mobs and the environment. This prevents tanks from yolo pulling. It makes every choice you make so much more meaningful and so much less feeling of arbitrarily mashing buttons. However, if a justified reward system is not in place for overcoming these challenges, this all becomes pointless. I really liked in EQ2 how you got more XP for killing a group of mobs. I want to see some sort of mechanic that will reward you with XP based on more challenging pulls or encounters (if you overcome them).