Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Side Quests

• 9115 posts
    June 6, 2016 4:07 AM PDT

Are they enjoyable (if done well) or do you usually ignore them and go about your business no matter how good or bad they are?

• 110 posts
    June 6, 2016 4:41 AM PDT

I enjoy them and will do them, with one caveat. If there is a million of them and xp is so fast especially from quests, I'll skip them. Example, VG or Rift quest log. Quests are color coded by level, Ill pick up every quest I can in an area while xping and happily do all the quests, however if 50% of those quests grey out and the itemization is such that the rewards are junk, I'll just start deleteing them all from my quest log and never look back.

• 180 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:19 AM PDT

I tend to do side quests the first time around at least.  I don't care so much for questing for experience but I did enjoy improving faction in EQ, even if most of the quest rewards were junk.

• 769 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:28 AM PDT

Thanakos said:

I tend to do side quests the first time around at least.  I don't care so much for questing for experience but I did enjoy improving faction in EQ, even if most of the quest rewards were junk.

This. When i'm playing an MMO for the first time, on my main character, I try to run through every single side quest in every single region that I can possibly do. Something OCD going on there, but whatever.

I don't necessarily do them because they're enjoyable. I do them because they're there. The problem with these newer MMO's is that quests were THE way to gain experience and advance your character, which made the playability of the game horrible. Who wants to create an alt and go through the exact same quests over and over and over?

At least in a game like EQ, when EXP was earned through grouping and dungeon delving, you could feasibly play an alt and advance your character in a different direction other than simply following the quests.

So in short: I didn't enjoy side quests, but I did them, because they were there.

• 9115 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

Yeah, nice! I usually do them too, they are a great way to inject lore, encourage exploration and express storytelling if done well, plus gaining (or losing) faction and exp is always nice :)

• 2138 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:53 AM PDT

I like side-quests. Especially those that are town based or faction oriented, as it allows dramatic, cathartic, personal to the NPC themes to be played out  while doing the quest. The Star Trek next generation episode with the flute? -THAT- is a side quest.

I think the more obscure or far out side quest should have the larger reward.  

• 1468 posts
    June 6, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

I tend to think that quests should be something important. They don't neccessarily have to give really good item rewards but they should give you something. So for instance a big positive faction hit or some really interesting lore or perhaps something to do with crafting (maybe some new recipes or something). So I'd rather see fewer quests that have some really big impact on your character than lots of quests that just tell you to run to a certain area kill 10 rats and then have someone just say "Thank you" to you.

If the side quests were really hard to find and had some really hard to find lore attached to them then I would be all over that. Or some quests that opened up locked areas and that were quite long that would be cool as well. Basically I'm all for quests that are hidden or hard to find that result in some tangible reward.

I also love the idea of epic quests that start at level 1 and continue through the whole game right up to level 50 (or whatever the level cap will be). That could do some really interesting stuff like give the vast majority of the lore for a certain area as well as giving you nice items and faction hits.

But if you are just asking whether I like quest hubs then I'd have to say no. I'm not interested in that. Quest hubs tend to have really boring quests that don't give you anything worthwhile. I tend to think that is a waste of time and I'd rather spend my time grouping or doing dungeons and getting XP that way.

• 724 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:01 AM PDT

What are "side quests"? How would you categorize them? Turning in crushbone belts, or gnoll fangs in Halas; "collect 6 pixie dusts and combine them and return the bag to me" for the ranger guildmaster in Kelethin...are those side quests? Or just jobs/task quests? What about the quests in Temple of Solusek Ro? Are side quests somehow defined through number of steps to do, time required?

That said, I like small quests that you can "solve" on your own (without having to resort to third party websites, because the quest descriptions are so obscure etc). I agree with above posts that the multitude of those small quests in quest hubs could be overwhelming however, and reduced their value. Better to have fewer, but well done and memorable quests.

• 62 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:08 AM PDT

I tend to follow side quests if it happens organically through discovery or exploration instead of being directed by some NPC. All too often, an NPC would be standing right in the middle of a highly trafficked path to offer some small side quest and I just shake my head.

• 4 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:19 AM PDT

Quest should only be to gain an item / spell / faction and not exp. If you want a MMO based on the community then you need quest to not be based on exp otherwise people could be able to solo. Also Quest item should be bind on pick up cause you dont want high lvl to farm quest item and give them to their alt. At the end there wern't much group in crushbone, only high lvl farming belt.

• 121 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:29 AM PDT
    I find large epic quests to be enjoyable. I never found side quests enjoyable, but I also have never ignored them. I do them for good exp and loot, not for enjoyment. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike side quests. Enjoyable just isn't a word I would use to describe them.
    • 1303 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:34 AM PDT

I will do side quests out of curiosity once. And so that I can get a feel for the lore and lay of the land, since they will usually send you in a direction that seems appropriate for your level. I wont generally repeat them on later characters unless the rewards are worthwhile. Faction will certainly make them much more appealing, as would above average coin, or xp. But I will not repeat a quest if I have to keep running back to town to hand in and pick up the quest again. I'm not interested in shuttling back and forth.

Which brings a tangent I guess; Let me loot items for quests as a bi-product of exploring and leveling. Let me have the "I wonder what that is for?" moment that encourages me to go find out. Dont make me run around filling up my quest log while in town and then go out into the world to play quest whackamole. 

• 769 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:41 AM PDT

The more I think about this, the more clarification I feel is needed.

When I hear side quests, I immediately think "Quest HUBS". Or are you referring to, such as EQ, collecting Bone Chips and turning them in for moderate XP and Loot? Or the one-off quest you might find for a useful item, such as the Burning Rapier Quest?

If it's the former, that's a flat Please No. If it's the latter, that's a hearty Please Yes.

• 14 posts
    June 6, 2016 7:49 AM PDT

With my first character I love them. Later with twinks ..... well if the quest is nice I will do them. But only 1 or 2 times I think.

This post was edited by Brax at June 6, 2016 7:49 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 6, 2016 8:35 AM PDT

Sarim said:

What are "side quests"? How would you categorize them? Turning in crushbone belts, or gnoll fangs in Halas; "collect 6 pixie dusts and combine them and return the bag to me" for the ranger guildmaster in Kelethin...are those side quests? Or just jobs/task quests? What about the quests in Temple of Solusek Ro? Are side quests somehow defined through number of steps to do, time required?

That said, I like small quests that you can "solve" on your own (without having to resort to third party websites, because the quest descriptions are so obscure etc). I agree with above posts that the multitude of those small quests in quest hubs could be overwhelming however, and reduced their value. Better to have fewer, but well done and memorable quests.

The widely agreed on definition is:

"A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game. Completion of a sidequest often results in the acquisition of money or items that are otherwise unavailable, or unlocks another sidequest."

How they are implemented and embedded into the lore and made immersive plus what rewards are given is completely up to the creators, though. :)

• 613 posts
    June 6, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

I enjoy them.  My experience has been they usually help me explore areas I would not normally go at times.  I think that is where I get my photo moments in the game.  They are fun and I usually find all sorts of stuff to look at and enjoy.  OVerall it helps me enjoy what the devs have created even more.

Ox

• 1778 posts
    June 6, 2016 10:17 AM PDT
    I agree with Noemye the most. And Ill add that I dont mind there being a lot. But as long as theyre for lore factions or special items or money and can not be repeated then its all good. Making quests give XP and making 90% of them be simple fetch quests is what ruined questing imo.
    • 112 posts
    June 6, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

no xp given.

if the side quest is merely to learn about the local lore of the place (out of the way place), then thats great. a special item? how good is it? if its too good, it essentially does become mandatory, and no longer a 'side quest'.

maybe the side quest can open up a very minor faction. then that out of the way, out in the wilderness place becomes a sort of sanctuary for the person who does these side quests - a campfire, a repair npc, an inn, maybe an extra bind point, etc.   "thanks for killing that ogre chieftan that has been harassing us, talk to our local shaman/druid/wizard/ whatever, he will reward you...."

• 1303 posts
    June 6, 2016 2:10 PM PDT

@werzul I would argue an extra bind point or merchants would be as compelling as an above average item. Likely more so. 

• 51 posts
    June 6, 2016 3:59 PM PDT

I enjoy all kinds fo quests.

• 1778 posts
    June 6, 2016 4:53 PM PDT

I dont have a problem with awesome items. But you make alternatives for similar items. And still have the most badass items come from "high end content".

Just making this up and keeping it simple:

1. Side quest (but not easy) Item (haste +5)

2. High level/ High skill (and therefore rare/expensive) crafted item (haste +6)

3. Epic Quest (extremely long and difficult and multi-faceted) item (Haste +8 and Mana Regen +2)

4. Raid Item (Haste +8 Mana Regen +3 HPs +100 +4 Int)

So basically if you are more casual you could still have some options or it just be something you can get as you work towards the better options. Got less time but want to have shiney, do side quest. Have a dragons horde or the crafting skill do that. Want a deep and involving story with lore that filled with challenge, do that. Want to challenge yourself to be the best of the best and have that ultimate risk vs reward, then do that.

That being said questing for the sole purpose of lore isnt bad either. Im particularly interested in something like this for class quests (more about lore than items or learning skills).

A little off topic, but I wanted to give my reply a bit more flesh. Sorry Kilsin

• 112 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:48 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

@werzul I would argue an extra bind point or merchants would be as compelling as an above average item. Likely more so. 

that is a fair point, and in hindsight is probably too big a reward for a side quest.

• 1303 posts
    June 6, 2016 5:55 PM PDT

werzul said:

Feyshtey said:

that is a fair point, and in hindsight is probably too big a reward for a side quest.

That being said, I'd love that kind of quest, and I would be more than willing to do more than just a side-quest to unlock it :) 

• 2419 posts
    June 6, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Are they enjoyable (if done well) or do you usually ignore them and go about your business no matter how good or bad they are?

First off, what is your definition of a side quest in the context of Pantheon?  To me a side quest is something which branches off and becomes tangential to a storyline quest or multi-step quest and also does not loop back into the main storyline  It dead-ends.  Storyline/multi-step examples are Coldain Ring, Coldain Prayer Shawl, Epics 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0.  In those quest lines one step lead to the next which lead to the next, etc. The quest was a straight line from beginning to end.

If your definition, however, is that of just some random quest you get because you're walking around an area 'hail' spamming every NPC?  I pretty much will do every quest I come across unless I'm absolutely sure the reward is something I cannot use that I also cannot then sell. You just never know where things will lead.

• 9115 posts
    June 6, 2016 11:20 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

First off, what is your definition of a side quest in the context of Pantheon?  To me a side quest is something which branches off and becomes tangential to a storyline quest or multi-step quest and also does not loop back into the main storyline  It dead-ends.  Storyline/multi-step examples are Coldain Ring, Coldain Prayer Shawl, Epics 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0.  In those quest lines one step lead to the next which lead to the next, etc. The quest was a straight line from beginning to end.

If your definition, however, is that of just some random quest you get because you're walking around an area 'hail' spamming every NPC?  I pretty much will do every quest I come across unless I'm absolutely sure the reward is something I cannot use that I also cannot then sell. You just never know where things will lead.

I posted it above mate.

"The widely agreed on definition is:

"A quest given to the player that has no direct bearing on the main story/campaign of the game. Completion of a sidequest often results in the acquisition of money or items that are otherwise unavailable, or unlocks another sidequest."

How they are implemented and embedded into the lore and made immersive plus what rewards are given is completely up to the creators, though. :)"