Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

• 76 posts
    June 3, 2016 7:35 AM PDT

"Carry on your legacy with progeny—retire a character and have his or her child resume the adventure "

So this statement along with somewhere else(podcast?) I've seen information about this, but it seems limited. From my understanding, I saw that the child would have improved base stats...enough to make a difference, but not enough to make them OP at low levels.

Two questions:

1) 'retire' does this mean I can't play my main anymore if I choose this option, or just in a limited style, or will nothing change?

2) Can my Human have Dwarf children?(any race having children)

Also, would love to hear thoughts on this addition.

This post was edited by Vega at June 3, 2016 7:38 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    June 3, 2016 7:41 AM PDT

From what I understand....

1. Yes

2. Been wondering about that and also questions like if I did that could I use it to make a race a class it wouldnt normally be?

They said they would reveal more at a later date.

What Im really worried about is if I do want to progeny when Bard comes will I know at release what race can or cant be a Bard. It would suck to go with a race assuming it will progeny into a Bard and it not.

This post was edited by Amsai at June 3, 2016 7:43 AM PDT
    • 76 posts
    June 3, 2016 8:00 AM PDT

I'm also wondering if I'll get a title...Son of XXX. And then does it go forward? Vega, son of Nozz, Son of Ash.

• 1303 posts
    June 3, 2016 8:35 AM PDT

I'm wondering if every generation you do this for gives another bonus to the offspring. Will that encourage people to power to max as fast as possible to create an offspring that is powered to max level to create an offspring, .... Repeat ad nauseum until there is eventually a character that has a significant starting stat bonus built up over the generations. Will we find that an original character at end game that has never been adjusted by the progeny system will not be able to (or even will not be percieved to be able to) effectively compete with others in end-game content? Where that 10th Generation warrior is considered near-mandatory for your main raid tank, for instance?

This post was edited by Feyshtey at June 3, 2016 8:36 AM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    June 3, 2016 8:56 AM PDT

This has been discussed before but I cant link it, sorry dont remeber. No answers on that front. But Im pretty sure Kilsin related the communities worries over just that scenario. Because exactly this has happened in Dungeons and Dragons Online

• 9115 posts
    June 3, 2016 5:31 PM PDT

As with many things we will release more information on this as development progresses but the idea is to allow people to permanently retire their characters and start fresh on a child while retaining some benefits that were inherited from your parent, which will keep content populated and give people new ways of leveling via different paths to gain a small bonus each time, there will be a cap of some sort to stop continuous rerolling and becoming too OPbut that is as much as we can reveal at this time.

• 1860 posts
    June 3, 2016 5:44 PM PDT

I dug up a few  links for you all :)

I like the idea...to a point.  I have run out of content in many games. Anything that lengthens play time is a positive in my eyes. I'll play through low level content multiple times if it increases my characters stats.  That being said, everything has a limit. 

If I still feel like the best way to improve my chracter in the long run is to restart more than 5 or 10 times eventually I will get tired or bored and I will lose interest (similar to AA's).   Personally, the reason I play, and what keeps me coming back, is the desire to increase my characters power so I have a pretty high tolerance for replaying content if the incentive is there...but, of course, there is a limit.  Eventually the time investment vs power increase ends up being to low.  Maybe that is a year of gaining experience for what is the equivelent of 1 level of power gain in AA's etc.  Maybe? It's difficult to difine where that line is.

Progeny:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3056/the-progeny-system-what-say-you/view/post_id/45638

https://twitter.com/PantheonMMO/status/715497290484441088

https://www.facebook.com/pantheonmmo/posts/1757116834502849

1 thing is for sure.  Exp will be extra important my first couple times through.  More so than normal.  Loot will take a back seat if the progeny system is implemented.

right click-loop.  you're welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaaL5QoI3GM

This post was edited by philo at June 3, 2016 5:52 PM PDT
    • 52 posts
    June 4, 2016 12:12 AM PDT

I am not sure how I feel about this progeny system. But the idea of putting a lot of time into my main character to get him max level and raid geared only to have to permanently retire him and start all over to be able to be more powerful doesnt really get me excited. I like to play one character and stick with it. I still have all of my EQ characters and the sense of accomplishment I felt, especially my main, after all the years and raids was what I played for. I wouldnt so much be against being able to create an alt offspring but from what I am reading it appears you must permanently retire youre character to create a new one. Is this system being put in for way down the road when all the end game content has been conquered and boredom begins to set in as a way to experience the game again? I wont like the feeling of leveling my character and gearing him knowing the whole time it is all pointless because I will have to create an offspring to level and gear all over again in order to be more feasible. What exactly is the benefit of having this ''Progeny'' system? Why should people have to retire their toons to create a more powerful version? In my opinion it seems like I shouldnt have to lose out by ignoring this retirement option. My character should be able to be just as powerful as someones offspring... period.

Understand these are my current feelings based off the info that is out there right now. Perhaps I may change my stance once I learn more. But I am in complete disagreement with offsprings being more powerful. As long as a non retiree can be just as powerful as an offspring then I have zero issues with it. It should be something that is completely optional and in no way disadvantageous if choosing not to do so. Just my opinion but I can guarantee there are others who feel the same way.

• 1860 posts
    June 4, 2016 5:17 AM PDT

Like I mention above, I am generally for the progeny system but there are a couple points I think might need clarification.

Firstly, I am under the impression that we would get to keep our gear.  Yes, we may start over as another class so most of it wouldn't be usable but...I believe we would still keep it.  Is that correct?  It seems like keeping our gear would save us the hassle of transferring everything to an alt (which is what everyone would do if we lost it).  No drop gear usually has a lvl and class restriction anyway so it's usefulness would be limited.

Secondly, reputation means something.  I'm hoping we can, if we choose, keep the same name.  Maybe we could earn a suffix like Philo II or Philo III etc.  All of your friends in game know you as that name.  Losing your name is a pretty major issue.  I'm guessing we could keep our name but I am unsure?

This post was edited by philo at June 4, 2016 5:38 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    June 4, 2016 7:39 AM PDT

I'm sort of indifferent to the progeny system. I enjoy my characters. I start imagining their personalities and feel like I have an investment in any of them that I play for any notable period of time. I still love logging into the old EQ servers every once in a while to run around and kill a few mobs with the ones I started back at release, for instance. (This isnt true of course for games that there's no real investement to advance characters.) I dont want them to disappear. 

I dont have the time I used to have to play either. And I hope, given my somewhat short playtimes that it will take me better than a year to max my character as it is. I wont be end-game raiding, and I won't be in xp power-groups, so I dont particularly care if my lack of an additional 5%-10% stat bonus from rerolling (or whatever form the bonuses take) would put me at a competitive disadvantage to others who power to max and reroll thru the progeny system. 

But I am pretty confident that if the game system rewards getting to max and rerolling, every major raiding guild will not only participate, but require their members to do precisely that until they have met the limit of the bonuses available in doing so, and only then really concentrate on developing a character rather than simply leveling it. 

There are ways you could avoid this, I suppose. Something like heirloom items that can only be acquired thru completing dungeons or raids or quests while at an appropriate level to attain them. And those items have increased capabilities as the character advances, thru additional group content/raids/quests that also require the character be at the appropriate level. And heirloom items can be willed to decendents. Each time the new character completes new quests/raids/group encounters, the heirloom gains even more capabilities. A system like this might encourage people to play their characters at least thru specific content scenarios to maximize the benefits of the heirlooms rather than just have the guild powerlevel thru the entire game in a very small percentage of it's content and in a very short period of time.

• 121 posts
    June 4, 2016 10:54 AM PDT

It's hard to say without much more detail on the system, but from what we do know, I can see some benefits.  I personally can't see myself retiring my main but to each their own.  perhaps the min/maxers out there would do it.

Also, I don't know how many charact slots we will get.  If we are limited to say 4 slots and you have them filled and they release necro then you'll need to make room.  In other games, that meant you had to delete one of your toons to open a slot.  This way you can retire that toon so at least you get something (a small stat boost for new toon) and it's not like throwing that toon in the garbage like they never existed.  The legacy system could actually be huge for altoholics if we are limited in character slots.

• 578 posts
    June 4, 2016 10:31 PM PDT

I think the progeny system could be dope if it had one specific function. Imagine this...

What if you could keep a skill/spell/ability from your first character and then transfer it to your progeny (of a new class) and that ability was a skill they couldn't use. For example your first character was a cleric and then you pick a warrior as your prog and you keep a healing spell. Think of all the combinations that could be made.

Heh, I'm actually gonna start a new thread based on this idea. To see what kind of crazy combinations we all can come up with. :D

• 82 posts
    June 4, 2016 11:05 PM PDT

Not really feeling this progeny system i like to get attached to my char not making new alts all the time.

• 1860 posts
    June 5, 2016 6:08 AM PDT

Ultra said:

Not really feeling this progeny system i like to get attached to my char not making new alts all the time.

I think this would make me more attached to my character.  If I ever decided to make an alt (non-progeny) I think it will lack luster or feel mediocre because it didn;t have all the extra benefits that my progeny character had.

A progeny character is still the same character, just at different parts of its life cycle.  Don't think about it like it's a separate character who is the offspring of your main character.  It is your main character. 

This post was edited by philo at June 5, 2016 6:09 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    June 5, 2016 7:23 AM PDT

philo said:

A progeny character is still the same character, just at different parts of its life cycle.  Don't think about it like it's a separate character who is the offspring of your main character.  It is your main character. 

Unless you retain the same race and class, you have effectively eliminated your original and any of the accomplishments that character achieved that did not directly relate to inherentence thru progeny. You cant take your 3rd generation warrior out and fear kite a Yeti like you used to with your 1st generation necromancer. Nor can you get the same thrill locking down adds in a deep dungeon xp group like you did with your 2nd generation Enchanter. You cannot revisit the experiences with the new as it was with the old. 

If you are the same race/class, then the progeny system is inherently little more than a forced do-over system in order to maximize the end-game effectivness of your fully capped generation-whatever character. And I have little enough time or ambition to fully level an alt that will provide a new set of learning curves and challenges. I certainly have zero desire to do that twice on the same class. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at June 5, 2016 7:27 AM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    June 5, 2016 4:38 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

philo said:

Unless you retain the same race and class, you have effectively eliminated your original and any of the accomplishments that character achieved that did not directly relate to inherentence thru progeny. You cant take your 3rd generation warrior out and fear kite a Yeti like you used to with your 1st generation necromancer. Nor can you get the same thrill locking down adds in a deep dungeon xp group like you did with your 2nd generation Enchanter. You cannot revisit the experiences with the new as it was with the old. 

If you are the same race/class, then the progeny system is inherently little more than a forced do-over system in order to maximize the end-game effectivness of your fully capped generation-whatever character. And I have little enough time or ambition to fully level an alt that will provide a new set of learning curves and challenges. I certainly have zero desire to do that twice on the same class. 

It is just another option you have to make your character better. 

You said "If you are the same race/class, then the progeny system is inherently little more than a forced do-over system in order to maximize the end-game effectivness of your fully capped generation-whatever character. And I have little enough time or ambition to fully level an alt that will provide a new set of learning curves and challenges. I certainly have zero desire to do that twice on the same class. "

That is basically what it is from a very negative point of view, I give you that.  Honestly, if your issue is that you don't have enough time to play the game than that is that.  You don't have enough time to play the game, period.  That is not a constructive argument.  You just need to be ok with playing through at your own pace.  It is not a race.

But, I think, your point of view might come from a little bit of misunderstanding in how such a system is usually used.

Have you ever played a game with a similar system?

I want to preface this by saying, some of the information we do know is what Kils has said:

Kils:"There would be small bonuses like passive buffs, crafting knowledge, faction boosts etc. depending on what your previous character achieved in game, the bonuses will be small but enough to be worthwhile without unbalancing the characters/classes/content"

Kils:"We will have balances in place, it won't be an OP bonus but it will be worthwhile doing, there will be a cap on the amount of time you can do this and depending on your characters achievements will depend on what you pass down to your son/daughter,

It won't be like some other games I have played where, eventually, you can acquire all skills/spells/abilities from every class on one character.  It will be limited to some minor bonuses as mentioned above and the number of times you can do it will be limited.  You won't be able to fear with your warrior like you mentioned I don't think.  It will likely be some passive abilities, maybe a very small stat bonus or something.  5% maybe.  It won't be anything other than a minor boost.

The way games with a system such as this usually end up working is that the player plans out their strategy.  The class/race they want to play for an extended period is the final class/race combo in a string of characters they play prior in order to gain certain abilities they want in the end.

So if you want to be a gnome wizard, maybe you want to play an elf character through to gain 5% int bonus and then a ogre character through to gain 5% con bonus.  Then you want to play a enchanter for a small mana regen bonus...then you are good to go and make a gnome wizard with a +5% int/con and +mana regen.  Play it to the end and work on AA's or raid or tradeskill or whatever you want to do.

If you are fine without those small boosts that is fine too.  It is just another option you have to make your character better.

This post was edited by philo at June 5, 2016 4:40 PM PDT