Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Last names?

• 6 posts
    May 12, 2016 2:25 PM PDT
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if there's going to be last names implemented into the game. I'm not sure if this question had been asked before but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Blazren
    • 55 posts
    May 12, 2016 3:04 PM PDT

I remember in EQ you got to select a surname at level 20. It didn't serve much of a purpose but it was a nice touch to progression. Would be neat if they implemented something similar in Pantheon. Maybe increase the weight or value of it in some way or tie it to some epic quest or something to make it more impactful or interesting.

• 9115 posts
    May 12, 2016 6:32 PM PDT

Yes, we have last names but only in basic form at the moment :)

• 6 posts
    May 12, 2016 7:19 PM PDT
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply man.

Blazren

I am a Count; not a Saint.
    • 781 posts
    May 12, 2016 10:45 PM PDT

Sweet!

• 9115 posts
    May 12, 2016 10:54 PM PDT

Blazren said: Awesome! Thanks for the reply man. Blazren I am a Count; not a Saint.

You're welcome bro :)

• 38 posts
    May 13, 2016 3:57 AM PDT

Nice, sounds great :)

• 271 posts
    May 13, 2016 4:27 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Awesome :)

Am really glad to hear of this! If i may make a suggestion that would both enhance the 'meaning' of having last names and re-enforce the community, have the last name chosen "bound" to our actual account. I can reroll with a different character name, but my 'surname' so to speak remains the same. This way people can always be in a position to know whom it is they are dealing with. Can minimise trolling, griefing and antisocial behaviours immensely.

-- Of course there is a downside to that, namely lack of privacy (reroll all you want, people can still tell it's you), so that is something to be considered as well; perhaps some would mind it?

This post was edited by Aenra at May 13, 2016 4:27 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    May 13, 2016 4:40 AM PDT

My only request is to let us use apostrophes without having to /petition the damn things. That always irked my in EQ. Not sure if it changed, but I recall having to wait to get the surname I wanted, back in the day.

• 643 posts
    May 13, 2016 4:42 AM PDT

Aenra said:...If i may make a suggestion that would both enhance the 'meaning' of having last names and re-enforce the community, have the last name chosen "bound" to our actual account. I can reroll with a different character name, but my 'surname' so to speak remains the same. ...

Oh, Hell no.

I have two very different character "lives" with backstories and names and very, different type toons.  No way would they or could they share last names.

For those of us that RP our characters, that would be a problem.  Using an ogre necromancer's last name on a human cleric or vice-versa is unthinkable.

• 271 posts
    May 13, 2016 4:46 AM PDT

I know :)

It's why i mentioned it myself, people quite possibly having issues with it. And it is a hurdle for me personally as well (though one that can be overcome, just needs a bit of an imagination); but i always had an issue with people rolling a low level alt just so as to troll, annoy, exploit sales, etc and always, always, getting away with it. Ameliorating that is worth the penalty, but again, that's just me. Thought i'd throw it out there, see others' opinions.

• 1778 posts
    May 13, 2016 10:13 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Sounds good! Would like some consistency with alts and progeny. Or at least the choice. John Smith, Joan Smith, Kate Smith, etc.

• 801 posts
    May 13, 2016 10:19 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Blazren said: Awesome! Thanks for the reply man. Blazren I am a Count; not a Saint.

What is the policy going to be like? are we going to restrict stupid names? like for example: drunkin KIssMYass???

i hope it wont be needed, but after awhile stupid names start to pop up.

• 9115 posts
    May 13, 2016 6:10 PM PDT

Crazzie said:

Kilsin said:

What is the policy going to be like? are we going to restrict stupid names? like for example: drunkin KIssMYass???

i hope it wont be needed, but after awhile stupid names start to pop up.

We will of course have a profanity filter and beyond that we have not got that far yet man, still to early in development for that but it is something we are aware of ;) 

• 1019 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:39 AM PDT

Is the last name going to be auto linked onto all your toons from that account?

• 28 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:46 AM PDT

@Kittik: see https://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6255/last-name

@Kilsin: I hope the profanity filter can be turned off - we would love to talk german in our german speaking guild and "w e n i g e r" (german for "less") never made it through :)

• 9115 posts
    May 13, 2017 5:30 PM PDT

HaskarMadnome said:

@Kittik: see https://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6255/last-name

@Kilsin: I hope the profanity filter can be turned off - we would love to talk german in our german speaking guild and "w e n i g e r" (german for "less") never made it through :)

Thank you for linking that :)

Yes, most likely you will be able to turn the profanity filter in chat off so you see those words but I was referring tot he profanity filter when creating names, which will on all the time. ;)

• 53 posts
    May 13, 2017 6:25 PM PDT

Hopefully we will be able to secure last names early as well if we are founders. :)

• 316 posts
    May 13, 2017 7:56 PM PDT
    Anyone else notice this thread was revived on its birthday? Happy birthday, Last Names?!
    • 1618 posts
    May 13, 2017 8:07 PM PDT

I don't remember what thread it was in, but a few months ago, they stated first AND last names were chosen at creation and the combination would enforce the uniqueness.  

Found the thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1923/identical-first-names/view/page/1

This post was edited by Beefcake at May 13, 2017 8:10 PM PDT