Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Names of Classes OK with you guys?

• 154 posts
    May 11, 2016 8:29 AM PDT

Currently Crusader and Dire Lord.

Anyone else not feeling them at all and miss the Paladin/ Shadow Knight?

(There is also the summoner too)

• 595 posts
    May 11, 2016 8:38 AM PDT

Meh, I'm really not too broke up about any of the class names.  I'm sure there is lore to explain the choices which is good enough for me.  I've never been huge on Dire Lord if I'm honest but I don't think it bothers me nearly as much as some (there were some pretty upset when the name change happened).  

• 428 posts
    May 11, 2016 8:40 AM PDT

Nope I have always felt that paladin and crusaders are two different types of warriors 

• 137 posts
    May 11, 2016 8:42 AM PDT
    I don't have a problem with them, I'm more concerned on the game play rather than on the name.
    • 154 posts
    May 11, 2016 9:23 AM PDT

I think were all concerned with the gameplay more than names.  Just like the paladins over crusaders a lot

• 595 posts
    May 11, 2016 9:33 AM PDT

Taledar said:

I think were all concerned with the gameplay more than names. 

Haha, well said.

• 1714 posts
    May 11, 2016 9:35 AM PDT

A Dire Lord sounds like what an SK should be called at high level. A level 1 Dire Lord? meh

• 1434 posts
    May 11, 2016 10:03 AM PDT

I'm fine with them personally. There are lots of different variations on the original class names. In EQ, at 51, 55, and 60 the names all changed. Vanguard brought in some different variations as well. They are all cool to me. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they brought in some new classes or imported some from Vanguard. They could even change the names if they want. :p

• 68 posts
    May 11, 2016 10:04 AM PDT

I agree Krixus, the Dire Lord sounds a lot like a Shaddow Knight. Which is one I will want to try. I am find with the names myself, and I think I can understand wanting a different Title for them.

I love SK, Pal. Necromancers. If you want to call them something different, but still have the abilities of these, then that is ok with me. I am a old lady now, and have been wanting a game from Brad for a long time now, at least before I leave this world!!!!

• 116 posts
    May 11, 2016 10:14 AM PDT

I prefer the name crusader over paladin. In non-fantasy, the words are interchangeable (in my native tongue anyway) but crusader as a bit more of a physical conotation vs clergy for paladin. Since I intend to tank with that class, crusader sounds appropriate to me.

I'm not overly fond of Dire Lord, but I can live with it.

I also feel like summoner is a good name for an EQ magician like class. Magician and Wizard sound more alike to me than Summoner and Wizard for example.

• 76 posts
    May 11, 2016 10:17 AM PDT

To be honest i like the names right now, ive seen many diffrent ways of making the shadowy warrior class.

shadow knight

death knight

death lord

dark knight

but to be honest i like dire lord, it feels fresh and new but keeping the old style.

As for summoner i have no real problems with it and as the class will be my main i will need to look at that name for a long time too. If you wanted to make it sound a bit cooler however you could take a page from everquest 2 and try conjurer instead.

I'm hoping that they do a system like eq anyway giving names to the classes depending on what level you are. Well at least i think that was eq i was more of an eq2 player.

This post was edited by Akailo at May 11, 2016 10:20 AM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 11, 2016 10:32 AM PDT

My sentiments exactly Akailo.

• 1281 posts
    May 11, 2016 12:25 PM PDT

I'm fine with Crusader but I do not care for Dire Lord.

• 781 posts
    May 11, 2016 2:10 PM PDT

cru·sad·er kro͞oˈsādər/ noun noun: crusader; plural noun: crusaders; noun: Crusader 1. a fighter in the medieval Crusades. synonyms: campaigner, fighter, champion, advocate; reformer "she was a crusader against domestic violence" 2. a person who campaigns vigorously for political, social, or religious change; a campaigner. "crusaders for early detection and treatment of mental illness"

pal·a·din ˈpalədn/ nounhistorical noun: paladin; plural noun: paladins any of the twelve peers of Charlemagne's court, of whom the count palatine was the chief. a knight renowned for heroism and chivalry. Origin late 16th century: from French paladin, from Italian paladino, from Latin palatinus ‘(officer) of the palace’ (see palatine1). Translate paladin to Use over time for: paladin

Funny thing, i could not find one for Dire Lord......

• 9115 posts
    May 11, 2016 6:51 PM PDT

EQ = Shadow Knight

VG = Dread Knight

PRF = Dire Lord (formerly called Dread Lord)

All variations of a Necro type tank.

Paladin and Crusader are completely different classes and we went with the Crusader for Pantheon as we feel it suits our world and lore better. :)

• 180 posts
    May 11, 2016 7:57 PM PDT

I'm fine with the class names although I'm curious about the Crusader class.  I get the feeling that crusaders will have a larger healing role compared with past paladin classes.

• 263 posts
    May 12, 2016 1:18 AM PDT

I don`t see any drama towards what the classes are called and don`t see why others worrie about it. Why do we always have to go down a set path ? Why can`t there be something diffrent ? I welcome the fresh appeal to the nameing of classes and the story and redesign of some of the races also.

Do we base a game of its classes ? Oh no they don`t have a Paladin, this game is doomed ? No!

This is why we get stuck in groundhog day people. Try to think abit more out the box. Use your imagination abit.

This post was edited by Yarnila at May 12, 2016 1:21 AM PDT
    • 563 posts
    May 12, 2016 1:22 AM PDT

I personally don't have any issues with the class names, they sound great to me. :)

• 232 posts
    May 12, 2016 6:28 AM PDT

I'm good with whatever, as long as the enchanter is called the enchanter :)

• 2130 posts
    May 12, 2016 7:00 AM PDT

I think the classes are fine. Copying EQ's class names directly isn't good. Pantheon needs to establish its own identity. Having unique class names is a good start, and I also like the look of the new races in the game. The halflings for instance actually look pretty cool and almost like a race I would play, as opposed to EQ.

• 174 posts
    May 12, 2016 8:54 AM PDT

What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet... Shakespeare

• 52 posts
    May 12, 2016 11:30 AM PDT

I am fine with the names.. I just hope they can do Hybrids right.   In EQ Hybrids were really gimped and seemed like a huge oversight until Luclin.   

• 112 posts
    May 12, 2016 2:16 PM PDT

Krixus said:

A Dire Lord sounds like what an SK should be called at high level. A level 1 Dire Lord? meh

inclined to agree. 'Dire Lord' conjures up images of a heaily armored, powerful, entity surrounded by a (flaming?) aura.

you see someone that just spawned in the starter zone

they are wearing some dirty rags and have a rusty sword

"what class are you?"

"dire lord....tremble before me!"

".....really?"

call them a shadow knight or whatever, when they are maxed, have spent a lot of AA's, or have accomplished a great number of things in game (not nice things)...THEN thay are a dire lord.

• 76 posts
    May 12, 2016 4:03 PM PDT

werzul said:

Krixus said:

inclined to agree. 'Dire Lord' conjures up images of a heaily armored, powerful, entity surrounded by a (flaming?) aura.

you see someone that just spawned in the starter zone

they are wearing some dirty rags and have a rusty sword

"what class are you?"

"dire lord....tremble before me!"

".....really?"

call them a shadow knight or whatever, when they are maxed, have spent a lot of AA's, or have accomplished a great number of things in game (not nice things)...THEN thay are a dire lord.

Leave the poor baby dire lordlings alone, it isnt their fault their flames have not come through yet.

All joking aside can't this be said for most of the classes, a level 1 wizard wont be much more then an apprentice and a level 1 cleric no more then an acolyte.

Just because a level 1 dire lord may be more of a dire squire doesn't mean they are not a dire lord, just a dire lord in training.

This post was edited by Akailo at May 12, 2016 4:07 PM PDT
    • 137 posts
    May 12, 2016 5:23 PM PDT
    New name for noob..."Dude, quit being such a Dire Squire"