Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Rested XP

• 65 posts
    May 3, 2016 9:42 AM PDT

Thoughts on gaining "rested xp" by being in a major city like in WoW?

• 1468 posts
    May 3, 2016 9:46 AM PDT

Not a big fan of the idea to be honest. I know it can be used so that casual players can keep up with the more hardcore players but it just doesn't sit well with me. I'm not entirely convinced about it really.

I'd rather just see a flat rate of experience gain for all players. That way people can keep at the same level as each other and not have to worry about maxing out the amount of rested XP they have. In a funny sort of way rested experiece reduces the amount of time people play the game because they'll only play when they have the maximum amount of rested experiece. If there is just a flat rate then they'll play more often and won't have to worry about it.

• 65 posts
    May 3, 2016 9:52 AM PDT

I agree with you there.  Just being bored and tossing around ideas.

I wonder if it was flipped around and maybe you didn't gain rested xp, but instead maybe rested stats for a short period of time?

• 163 posts
    May 3, 2016 9:57 AM PDT

Project Gorgon has a neat concept going on. When you're in town, people congregate to play musical instruments together in the town center. The audience and musicians gain minor stat or exp buff for a bit, depending on how long they hang around and listen. Promotes gathering in town, makes the town feel alive, but the benifit isn't OP.

• 65 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:02 AM PDT

Gadgets said:

Project Gorgon has a neat concept going on. When you're in town, people congregate to play musical instruments together in the town center. The audience and musicians gain minor stat or exp buff for a bit, depending on how long they hang around and listen. Promotes gathering in town, makes the town feel alive, but the benifit isn't OP.

That is a really neat concept!

• 613 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:24 AM PDT

Gadgets said:

That has some interesting pieces to it.  I wonder if a flat rate would be the nrom and when you go to a city or twn this starts up.  Reminds me of the EQ and KEI buffs.  Everyone would be waiting for a specified period for the mana and whatever anyone else was throwing.  It was a fun time usually.  We didnt get rest XP but the social pice was there.  I think the rest piece would be a good addition. 

Ox

• 1778 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:41 AM PDT

Im not for it, but not totally against it either. Kind of depends on how its set up. On the other hand I love the bonuses from musical instruments in Project Gorgon too. Its kind of fun and very social. It also requires you actually be in the game, and the longer you are in the longer the bonus. I need to get back on that game........... after I finish my masochist run on Dark Souls 3........

• 769 posts
    May 3, 2016 10:54 AM PDT

Gadgets said:

That's a great idea. Even if Pantheon doesn't have an instrumental mechanic like this, it can still be implemented other ways. Just by hanging out in the local tavern, or trading area, for example. Should it only work if you're not AFK? And is there a way to internally police that?

• 219 posts
    May 3, 2016 11:06 AM PDT

I agree with Cromulent. I'll refer to EQ2 for my pros and cons. These are the issues I see on the TLE server Stormhold

1: during group people will literally say. "Ok that's it for me I'm out of rested exp(vitality). Boom there goes your healer in the middle of a dungeon run.

2: people create a ton of alta and play thru each one only when they have rested exp. because of this I end up playing in a lot of groups with other characters that won't upgrade gear/spells because of how many lays they have to care for.

3: those without vitality get out leveled during dungeon groups forcing players with vitality to either mentor those without and breaking up group or pushing the one or two players without vitality to leave.

Bonuses that I see

1: It does help those that play less to somewhat keep up.

2: it does make leveling alts less of a hassle.

If you rework these pros and cons into pantheon using other games past experiences this option for rested exp could possibly work. But in the end I think no matter how implemented there are to many cons to make it work. The idea of flat rate exp for everyone is the most fair for all players.

This post was edited by Pyde at May 5, 2016 10:53 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    May 3, 2016 11:06 AM PDT

Gadgets said:

That's exactly how dancing and music were used in cantinas in Star Wars Galaxies, and I thought it worked really well.

• 219 posts
    May 3, 2016 11:07 AM PDT
    My phone auto corrected alts to lays. Sorry I'll fix my post when I get to my computer
    • 1714 posts
    May 3, 2016 12:15 PM PDT

I do like the idea of horizontal game play that isn't all about acquiring combat experience, and I am definitely for things that make the world feel alive. 

However, I don't like the idea of getting exp for doing nothing. AFK exp bonus? No thanks. 

We've also discussed campfires before and my feeling is the same. I don't want yoyo mechanics where people are given an incentive to not stray far from the beaten path. My buff is gone, run back to camp/city. That's lame. 

From a roleplaying perspective I am down with the idea that after listening to some cool tunes and dancing with a lady for a while that you get a little buff. However,  if the buffs are so small as to not matter, then why have them at all, and if they do matter then we see people tethered to areas. Why give an exp bonus/buff to someone who stays right outside the city or campfire? This is the opposite of risk = reward. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at May 3, 2016 12:23 PM PDT
    • 151 posts
    May 3, 2016 12:40 PM PDT

I am completely opposed to giving someone a bonus of any kind for doing nothing. If it can be done while AFK or offline there should be no reward. The other ideas above like the tavern and cantina thing, thats cool. I don't think the only way to progress is through killing. But to help someone "keep up" is not a good enough excuse to hand out free stuff. It's not a deal breaker for me but its real close. This is the first step on the road to XP potions, then double XP days, then comes buy a level 80 character for real money. For experience to mean anything it needs to hold value. Giving it away will not add value to it.

• 112 posts
    May 3, 2016 12:41 PM PDT

what if campfires werre a player created thing, and could be done out in the field, as it were (requiring the needed skill, materials, effected by weather etc.). sitting around one gives a small bonus to xp or stats, so its worth it (especially for the min/maxers of the world) but the smoke has a chance to attract unwatned visitors. set a fire too close to that orc camp, and rather than being able to pick and choose the mobs you engage, a dozen orcs show up to see whats going on. it could even scare aaway some wild animals, forcing the group to search harder for them. plusses and minuses to using a campfire.

side note, what if there is an xp bonus for the progeny system? like maybe 3-5%. something like that may be worth it if - god of your choice willing - years from now someone is on there 10th descendant the xp bonus becomes large.

i would prefer that as many things that are reasonable are in the hands of players....buffs of any sort, travel, commerce, etc.  npc or 'just because' involvement or occurences, well ive played enough games like that.

• 1714 posts
    May 3, 2016 12:57 PM PDT

werzul said:

what if campfires werre a player created thing, and could be done out in the field, as it were (requiring the needed skill, materials, effected by weather etc.). sitting around one gives a small bonus to xp or stats, so its worth it (especially for the min/maxers of the world) but the smoke has a chance to attract unwatned visitors. set a fire too close to that orc camp, and rather than being able to pick and choose the mobs you engage, a dozen orcs show up to see whats going on. it could even scare aaway some wild animals, forcing the group to search harder for them. plusses and minuses to using a campfire.

Certainly, imo, a better idea than what I described. 

• 38 posts
    May 3, 2016 2:24 PM PDT

Gadgets said:Project Gorgon has a neat concept going on. When you're in town, people congregate to play musical instruments together in the town center. The audience and musicians gain minor stat or exp buff for a bit, depending on how long they hang around and listen. Promotes gathering in town, makes the town feel alive, but the benifit isn't OP.

werzul said:what if campfires werre a player created thing, and could be done out in the field, as it were (requiring the needed skill, materials, effected by weather etc.). sitting around one gives a small bonus to xp or stats, so its worth it (especially for the min/maxers of the world) but the smoke has a chance to attract unwatned visitors. set a fire too close to that orc camp, and rather than being able to pick and choose the mobs you engage, a dozen orcs show up to see whats going on. it could even scare aaway some wild animals, forcing the group to search harder for them. plusses and minuses to using a campfire.

Both really good ideas, and I hope we'll get some similar things in Pantheon :)

I do not think rested exp would be a good thing here. Lets reward the players for being active in the game, and give them means to play with others regardless of level difference instead. A mentoring system would let people progress at their own pace without worrying about keeping up with a more active friend.

This post was edited by Coldlight at May 3, 2016 2:24 PM PDT
    • 999 posts
    May 3, 2016 4:16 PM PDT

@Gadgets

There's a lot I like from Project Gorgon, and I like how playing instruments gives rested exp for both adventuring/crafting, especially how different instruments can play together to flesh out the song (percussion vs. brass, etc.).  However, the system's uniqueness wore off quickly and I typically just /afk to get the exp bonus overnight before crafting or adventuring the next day next to other AFK music players.  I don't know if I'd want to stand there for hours playing music while trying to get a bonus, but if there was some way to make it a bit more active, I'd definitely like it more.  As it stands now, it's really no different than me camping at the Inn in WoW and logging off the next day outside being more resource intensive to my computer by staying afk.

Where I did like the system even more though is how if people were playing music around you, you could get bonuses to gardening, etc. and your crops may produce more.  That sort of crafting/skill interdependence is neat.  Similar to having two characters harvest in VG which could produce more or more rare materials.

• 264 posts
    May 3, 2016 4:17 PM PDT

Gadgets said:

I like this too. I think that if you added the restriction that you had to be in a full group in order to make it happen just think how many new people you could meet. It would make it even more social. 

Sky

This post was edited by Skycaster at May 3, 2016 4:18 PM PDT
    • 1434 posts
    May 3, 2016 6:29 PM PDT

Gadgets said:

That is cool.

I'd like to see a sort of realistic rest and fatigue system. Every character would have a stamina bar that could be increased by doing things like the above, by eating high quality food and drink, and from sleeping (camping). That stamina could provide certain minor bonuses that could enhance the benefit of stats, the rate of regeneration and so forth. That would naturally increase player xp rate without a direct bonus.

It would almost work like a reverse rested system, where the benefits of being rested or well-fed would mostly be noticeable on the opposite end of the spectrum; Among players who play an absolute ton. The longer you play, the more fatigued your character becomes and the more meta there would be to continue operating at full capacity.

For those who have played Don't starve, it would sort of operate like the sanity system there, except you wouldn't just start to see monsters that become real and eventually kill you. It would just serve as a sort of debuff.

• 163 posts
    May 3, 2016 7:33 PM PDT

The project gorgon system is far from perfect. Just an idea. I do see the AFK thing going on a bit from what I witnessed, even I was guilty of that. I also do see the point made earlier... people would potentially bail on a group once they lost their bonus.

Definitely work to be done on the idea, but I did like that it brought people together.

• 133 posts
    May 5, 2016 8:07 AM PDT
    I like most things that bring people together. Offline xp bonus, however, can drive people apart, imo. I'm hoping other things can be done to keep friends from outlevelling each other. As for the Gorgon, SWG and campfire (could be a ranger skill?) ideas, I'm all for them.
    • 12 posts
    May 5, 2016 10:42 AM PDT

Nope.

They should be doing everything they can to make sure people enjoy where they are at level wise and not try to rush people through levels. 

I would shoot for a mid level to take around a week for an average power gamer (someone who knows how to play and plays a few hours each night with understanding of good places to level). 

• 232 posts
    May 5, 2016 11:03 AM PDT

I dislike rested exp as we've seen it implemented in previous games, where you log off in town and come back the next day with half a levels worth of 200% exp.  Implemented as an attempt to help casual players keep up with more active players, this generally equates to less played time to reach max level while trying to even out real-world time to max level.

It's hard for me to get behind a sliding reward scale based on available play time.  Add in cash shop exp potions, double exp weekends, and you soon have a leveling experience where you're blowing past content.

I would be OK with rested experience if it was implemented as a pragmatic solution to a real problem, not as a sweetener for casual players like myself.  I'll get to max level, but I dont want or need special treatment along the way.

• 211 posts
    May 5, 2016 12:33 PM PDT

I am against ANY type of bonus exp in any forms. If the game is supposed to be about the journey, why try to come up with ways to make the journey go by faster. NO to any exp bonuses!

• 2130 posts
    May 5, 2016 12:55 PM PDT

AgentGenX said:

I am against ANY type of bonus exp in any forms. If the game is supposed to be about the journey, why try to come up with ways to make the journey go by faster. NO to any exp bonuses!

What about 5 years after release when everyone is working on their 5th alts? Can we loosen up xp requirements for additional characters on the same account so we're not drudging through the same exact content multiple times just to play another class?