Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Armour - Colours or Stats?

• 219 posts
    May 2, 2016 11:25 AM PDT

I want to look good while I adventure. To heck with all this stat stuff ! 

That was half a joke and half not. I like to min/max but at the same time I want to look good. Im 100% ok with no dye's or appearance stuff if you give highend equipment awesome appearances. That just may instill that sense of "WOW" look at that guy he has the .01% drop rate Dream Crusher armor. Oh wait thats Kilsin running thru the world.

Pyde Pyper

This post was edited by Pyde at May 2, 2016 11:26 AM PDT
    • 232 posts
    May 2, 2016 11:40 AM PDT

I always go for stats over appearance.  In EQ, I would dye my armor to match, which was good enough for me.   No need for appearance items.

• 793 posts
    May 2, 2016 12:59 PM PDT

Zahlhedren said:

Stats, always like that Devs did sets in games but always seemed you were never able to collect all pieces. Also have never liked Casters stuck in Robes. Need non robe items for casters.

Agree. Not all casters want to be Merlin-esque. :)

• 2130 posts
    May 2, 2016 1:01 PM PDT

One thing to keep in mind regarding dyes is that it isn't anywhere near as simple to do for Pantheon as it is for EQ.

In EQ, there were 7 visible armor pieces. There were 4 different armor types. One of the armor types didn't have a visual appearance for most/all (cloth). That gives us 3 visible armor types, and 7 slots. Every piece of armor in EQ looked identical (until recently), barring few exceptions. A plate chest piece always had a specific look on a given race regardless of which plate chest piece it is.

Okay, now I don't know the exact number off the top of my head atm but let's say EQ had 15 playable races.

3 Armor Types

7 Armor Slots

15 Races

This means there were only roughly 300ish unique armor pieces in EQ. That is nothing. Like, really, nothing. Not compared to most games.

Now taking this even further. EQ's dye simple was really "dumb", in that it simply tinted the piece regardless of its color. For instance, there was a specific robe model that was really light blue when you would remove all of the dye from it. If you dyed it the deepest rd you could find, you would get pink.

Combine these two factors together, and you have a dye system that is honestly really trivial to implement. The issue is that this isn't EQ. There will be thousands of gear pieces with unique looks, and they will all have some base color. A tint system simply cannot work.

With this as a given, you end up in a situation where every single piece of gear in the game that is dyable requires the art team to meticulously alter the texture of every single piece. We're talking hundreds or thousands of hours of art team dev time spent doing this. Honestly, even if they simplified the system somehow it would still be very time consuming and difficult.

TL;DR: I will be honestly surprised if we get armor dye in Pantheon. I stick by my assertion that having a simple appearance reskinning system would resolve the armor customization problem with a fraction of the amount of dev time spent.

• 89 posts
    May 2, 2016 1:23 PM PDT

I honestly think this is a bad question, I'm not sure anyone would sacrifice stats for a better appearance (unless it was something trivial like 2 ac or 1 str).

To comment on what a few others have said the one and only game to make me look at what people were wearing in awe was actually FFXIV:ARR. A game with both a dye system and an armor transmutation system.  It's important to remember that what make people stop and ogle aren't the stats (which we can't see without inspection), but rather the looks of the gear.  With this in mind I want both an armor dye system as well as a system for appearance gear that can be used in combat. For those who don't want to see tanks in robes and casters in plate, there's no reason why the appearance slots can't also follow the same equip rules as regular gear slots.

I don't want to just kick some monster tail, and I don't want to just look good.  I want to kick monster tail while looking good.

• 2138 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:12 PM PDT

Stats primarily,

but as Tralyan said " fashionquest is real".  I will hang on to  clothing just because of how it looks on me, and I like seeing how it looks on other races/beings. Ordinarily, I will wear the overall better stat boosting thing.

I also like the anticipation of seeing what item X looks like on me.

I am half and half on dyes- but I did like how I was able to make bright red shoes on an old character.

• 668 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:37 PM PDT

I always go stats first like most players And hope it looks decent.  I do like to carry a social set of color themed armor if able to build up a nice set.

• 2419 posts
    May 2, 2016 6:23 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Do you try to colour coordinate your armour or do you mix and match for the best stats? :)

As a long time player of Trolls and Ogres, 'good looking gear' did not exist.  No matter the 'style' of the armor, on a Troll or Ogre it looked like garbage.  So I have to go with stats on this one.  Besides, until you can incorporate character style as a meaningful stat in combat I couldn't care less what I look like.

• 264 posts
    May 2, 2016 7:26 PM PDT

Stats for sure, But some dye at a certain level would be nice to have a little dignity.

I remember after the Burning Crusade Expansion I looted some pretty nice stuff, but Jesus I looked like a Buffoon running around. My son would point at me and laugh in game, esp. at my David Lee Roth Pants, which is what he called them at the time. It was pretty funny.

• 103 posts
    May 2, 2016 9:11 PM PDT

Stats of course. Dont think ive ever even heard of anyone who picked looks over stats. Not for game play at least. Then again, some developers have the creativity and open-mindedness to make it so their players dont have to pick. Not really an issue anymore.

..... (-_-)

• 1434 posts
    May 2, 2016 9:47 PM PDT

I might keep a nice matching set in the bank for standing around in town, but stats are most important followed by look and color.

• 839 posts
    May 2, 2016 10:24 PM PDT

I will put stats first, up until i find somthing that is just way too cool and then i will give in to my fasionable side.. for a while!

I did struggle to switch out my monks Gi with a non awesome looking armour when it came around and i certainly had terrible difficulty taking my Ogre Squirrelmaster's claws away from him :(  But in the end i did so stats always win but damn it was funny when he scratched his butt with those massive claws.  They came out again from time to time when he had a hard to reach itch!

• 116 posts
    May 4, 2016 8:34 AM PDT

I will put stats first and look like a bum if i have to, but I would really like a wardrobe/transmogrify system.