Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What we like, what we don't

• 79 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:32 PM PDT

I find it interesting that the "What's the One Thing You Want to See" thread is 3-pages long, while the "What Don't You Want to See" thread is 7-pages. If that's not enough of an indictment of today's MMORPG's and clear evidence of the need for Pantheon, I just don't know what is.

But I guess everyone here already knew that. ;)

• 1434 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:22 PM PDT

That's probably because what we do like and want were part of the reason we joined the forum. The features are all over the site.

Its the things we don't like that are the bigger issue, because there are so many things that could potentially ruin the things we like..

• 106 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:33 PM PDT

There is a reason we are here.  It's because what's currently available or in development is not our cup of tea.  This game and what it offers (according to the tenets and game philosopy) hit the nail on the head for what most of the people here are looking for.  

There are many things developers have come up with over the years that we have seen contribute to bringing an otherwise good game down to something we no longer have an interest in playing.  Each person is different, so one thing that one person felt had an impact in X  game going "down the drain" may not be the same thing a different person thought led to X game's downfall.  Hence, mucho ideas for what we don't want to see.  Most of what we do want to see are written in the game tenets at the top of the general forum.

This post was edited by FierinaFuryfist at May 1, 2016 10:34 PM PDT
    • 163 posts
    May 2, 2016 2:50 AM PDT

I personally feel like when you attempt to get too innovative and fancy, it looses its' appeal to me. I like simple and slower paced game mechanics. I like to unwind from my day when I play an mmo. When it crosses a certain threshhold from what I know and am comfortable with (which admittedly is EQ) to modern and fast paced combat, travel, grouping etc. I get turned off quickly. Our intentions in a "what you don't want to see" thread aren't to be negative, it's to keep perspective on what brought this fan base here to begin with.

• 769 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:43 AM PDT

Very similar to relationships, if you think about it.

I've always proposed that when it comes to dating, nobody ever really knows what they DO want until they have it. Once they have it, they're able to look back later and think to themselves "Huh, this is exactly what I was looking for". Rarely do they know before the fact.

On the other hand, it's very easy for you to write extensive lists of what you DON'T want. This also explains why so many people will date all these people or play all these MMO's even though they already know it has features that they don't like. Half because we're suckers, half because there is always a chance that despite those faults it also might be exactly what we're looking for.

I mean, lesbehonest here, you people who've played WoW or rift or Aion or Lotro or FF14. You researched these games. You did your homework. You knew they had features that you didn't want. You played them anyway, hoping against hope.

-Tralyan

• 366 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:54 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

..... there is always a chance that despite those faults it also might be exactly what we're looking for.

...... You researched these games. You did your homework. You knew they had features that you didn't want. You played them anyway, hoping against hope.

-Tralyan

Ha! So true!

• 1778 posts
    May 2, 2016 6:51 AM PDT
    @ Traylan

Cant argue with that. So many that I gave up and just play Single Player games. I need a new MMO home and Pantheon is the best chance at it.
    • 2130 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:00 AM PDT

GeekVerve said:

I find it interesting that the "What's the One Thing You Want to See" thread is 3-pages long, while the "What Don't You Want to See" thread is 7-pages. If that's not enough of an indictment of today's MMORPG's and clear evidence of the need for Pantheon, I just don't know what is.

But I guess everyone here already knew that. ;)

To be fair, people are extremely biased towards leaving feedback then they're dissatisfied more so than when they're satisfied.

There are a few anecdotal outliers who will say "but that's not true, I always leave feedback on Yelp when I enjoyed a restaurant" but at the end of the day, that's all it is. Anecdotes. There is a mountain of evidence that very clearly shows that satisfied people feel less compelled to express their satisfaction, as opposed to the dissatisfied expressing their dissatisfcation.

This forum is also an extremely small sample size and let's face it, people come to forums specifically to talk. I don't think we can reasonably be considered to speak for anyone except ourselves, especially not the MMORPG medium at large.

• 644 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

Liav said:

To be fair, people are extremely biased towards leaving feedback then they're dissatisfied more so than when they're satisfied.

There are a few anecdotal outliers who will say "but that's not true, I always leave feedback on Yelp when I enjoyed a restaurant" but at the end of the day, that's all it is. Anecdotes. There is a mountain of evidence that very clearly shows that satisfied people feel less compelled to express their satisfaction, as opposed to the dissatisfied expressing their dissatisfcation....

I've read/heard statistics that the ratio is about only 1/8 of people people give negative feedback on a customer service experience - most just go away and they lose them as customers.  I've also read that people are 8 times more likely to talk about a bad customer service experience than a good one with friends.

I wonder if some of that human nature plays in here?

I know the EQ TLP forums were completely toxic and it was almost nothing but complaints.

• 2130 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:45 AM PDT

fazool said:

Liav said:

There are a few anecdotal outliers who will say "but that's not true, I always leave feedback on Yelp when I enjoyed a restaurant" but at the end of the day, that's all it is. Anecdotes. There is a mountain of evidence that very clearly shows that satisfied people feel less compelled to express their satisfaction, as opposed to the dissatisfied expressing their dissatisfcation....

I've read/heard statistics that the ratio is about only 1/8 of people people give negative feedback on a customer service experience - most just go away and they lose them as customers.  I've also read that people are 8 times more likely to talk about a bad customer service experience than a good one with friends.

I wonder if some of that human nature plays in here?

I know the EQ TLP forums were completely toxic and it was almost nothing but complaints.

Indeed that is my suspicion.

We're on a forum dedicated to a very specific product withing a very specific medium. The game itself is designed to appeal to a demographic of players who are largely disenfranchised with the current MMO landscape. However, even the VR staff themselves have admitted that this is a niche game appealing to a niche audience.

Basically the types of posts, comments, and content that I see from people here is about exactly what would be expected. This forum/game is a magnet for it, by design.

• 366 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:48 AM PDT

I believe a big reason why people post more in the "Don't Like" thread is out of fear. The people posting on this forum have already donated money to the game they want and saw promised. They are afraid of the game changing from that vision;VR will still honor that of course, but I think the people posting in the "What we do not want to see thread" are just reminding the team of what might make the game stray from that vision.  They have already invested and in a way they are protecting their hopes and investment.

• 2130 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:55 AM PDT

Zarriya said:

I believe a big reason why people post more in the "Don't Like" thread is out of fear. The people posting on this forum have already donated money to the game they want and saw promised. They are afraid of the game changing from that vision;VR will still honor that of course, but I think the people posting in the "What we do not want to see thread" are just reminding the team of what might make the game stray from that vision.  They have already invested and in a way they are protecting their hopes and investment.

True, although on the flip side, paying for early access before the product is released and then living in fear is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

There are three reason I spent my money on Pantheon this early:

1. Brad McQuaid
    2. Tenets
    3. Brad McQuaid

With that in mind though, we all spent our money on a website with some words on it. We haven't had our hands on the product yet, so it seems kind of needless to me.

This post was edited by Liav at May 2, 2016 8:57 AM PDT
    • 106 posts
    May 2, 2016 10:47 AM PDT

As someone who has been in retail management it's very true that you get more negative feedback than positive.  If I remember correctly the cost of losing a long time customer was something like $1000 a year, so if they are quibbling about something that costs $15 you generally acquiesce.