Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Overhead Chat Bubbles?

• 6 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:18 AM PDT

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but I have a question after watching the video of the twitch stream.

As the topic says, will there/do players want there to be overhead chat bubbles such as in EQ2?

This is important to me, although I realize that there are much more pressing issues in the game development (such as mechanics and gameplay), as I don't want to be glued to the chat box all of the time like in EQ1.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 999 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:10 AM PDT

I'm sure if there are chat bubbles, they will be included as a toggleable UI feature.  I prefer myself not to have them.  Many of these preference type items have been discussed in the past as being toggelable features.

• 112 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

in favor, with the option to turn them off, i guess.

they make sense even in an RP/immersion aspect. for example,  if you are in an area with dozens of people trying to sell/buy, they are all shouting what they have or want, it would be a constant barrage of noise, perhap even confusing and hard to pick out the person you are looking for, until you got closer to them.  this is visually represented by a glut of chat bubbles practically filling your field of vision. looking at the area from afar you just see chat bubbles everywhere. as you move through they arent all on top of eachother, and you can pick out individual 'voices', as it were.

they could even do it distance based, within a few meters the bubble is clear, get too far you just see a faded, illegible bubble..."i think i heard something...."

• 430 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:12 AM PDT

Raidan said:

I'm sure if there are chat bubbles, they will be included as a toggleable UI feature.  I prefer myself not to have them.  Many of these preference type items have been discussed in the past as being toggelable features.

^^^ what Raidan said

• 133 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:15 AM PDT
    I'm all for them being toggleable.
    • 610 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:18 AM PDT

OMG this wasnt in Everquest!! No way can we have it!

Nah just kidding..Im cool with chat bubbles if there is a toggle off option

• 264 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Toggleable is good , with the distance that they appear being adjustable. Sometimes they make life easier, sometimes they are in the way.

• 34 posts
    May 1, 2016 10:46 AM PDT

In favor if it can be toggled. Chat bubbles can be useful sometimes and seemingly enough others like them. But it breaks the heck out of immersion; I'm playing a fantasy game, not roleplaying in the Sunday comics.

• 1714 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:12 AM PDT

Blazren said:

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums but I have a question after watching the video of the twitch stream.

As the topic says, will there/do players want there to be overhead chat bubbles such as in EQ2?

This is important to me, although I realize that there are much more pressing issues in the game development (such as mechanics and gameplay), as I don't want to be glued to the chat box all of the time like in EQ1.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I sure hope not. 

• 1468 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:30 AM PDT

I don't mind as long as you can turn them off. Not a big fan of them myself as I think they ruin immersion and make it look like a bad comic book (I really hate comics).

• 1778 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:30 AM PDT

Im not a fan, but as long as its a toggle, then seems fine by me.

• 2130 posts
    May 1, 2016 2:56 PM PDT

I didn't use the chat overhead bubbles in EQ2, but I did like the overhead damage numbers/combat feedback.

Toggle is pretty much the best answer, otherwise someone gets screwed over.

• 176 posts
    May 1, 2016 3:12 PM PDT

If you can turn it off then it does not hurt but I dot like the text box much more. I like to scroll back and read everything when sitting around or looking for something specific. Chat bubbles just get in my way.

• 79 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:03 PM PDT

I would turn them off. I find they clutter up the screen more than I like.

• 769 posts
    May 2, 2016 5:56 AM PDT

Toggle works fine for me. Personally, I would turn off all bubbles, chat and damage. There is something about it that just severely and irrationally rustles me.