Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dancing

• 132 posts
    May 8, 2016 11:41 AM PDT

Liav said:

Medjai said:

I don't have any problem with a /dance emote/animation. What I find disturbing is that with ALL the work that needs done on this game, they wasted time making sure dancing was in the game pre pre pre apha..... 

Really? there wasn't anything More important to get done first?

Except workload is divided up among various different teams and you have no idea what is on a given team's plate. If an animator has nothing else to work on at a given time, emotes make a lot of sense. It's not like they're stopping world building to implement emotes, that isn't how game development works.

this isn't Blizzard with 30 teams of 10 people. This is a game with like 10 people working on it.  

• 131 posts
    May 8, 2016 4:09 PM PDT

Medjai said:

I don't have any problem with a /dance emote/animation. What I find disturbing is that with ALL the work that needs done on this game, they wasted time making sure dancing was in the game pre pre pre apha..... 

Didnt they say that the models etc at this stage were premade and just ported in from the unity store?  Possible the model came with the emote?  

I can't believe there is a whole thread regarding if dancing should be in or out heeheehee.

but since there is....

In GW2 the dances were different for each race.  Like the Char had this hawiian style tribal dance thing that actually made sense with their culture.  Food for thought.

This post was edited by MINX at May 8, 2016 7:00 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 8, 2016 6:12 PM PDT

Medjai said:

Liav said:

Medjai said:

Except workload is divided up among various different teams and you have no idea what is on a given team's plate. If an animator has nothing else to work on at a given time, emotes make a lot of sense. It's not like they're stopping world building to implement emotes, that isn't how game development works.

this isn't Blizzard with 30 teams of 10 people. This is a game with like 10 people working on it.  

We are a team of 31 after just adding 5 more new team members https://www.pantheonmmo.com/about_us/the_team/, animations has nothing to do with world building, design, programming, lore, community management, finances, art etc. the animations came with the character models which are placeholders but even if we were to create them it wouldn't take away from other departments hard work and focus on their own tasks, adding a few dancing animations won't slow game development in the slightest, not sure how that can even be raised as an issue? :)

• 363 posts
    May 9, 2016 2:25 PM PDT

Skycaster said:

I don't want no Hip Thrusting Paladin "Laying Hands" on me. :)

Brilliant!  :-)

• 68 posts
    May 11, 2016 11:00 AM PDT

I love the dancing, I for one, hope you have it.

• 112 posts
    May 11, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

fluff of this sort adds to the game world, makes us 'real people'.

makes sense to me a group of adventurers might relax, blow some steam, celebrate a bit, after spending hours slogging through an orc camp - especially if they earned a fair bit of gold or an nice item for one of their comrades. as long as its world appropraie of course. dont need females twerking or males doing muscle pose lol.

• 563 posts
    May 12, 2016 1:37 AM PDT

I think it would be great if dancing was more than just an emote, something akin to the dancer profession in SWG, make it a skill that can be leveled up and have various dances and styles that you could preform. Even further maybe, tie it into some form of fatigue system where it promotes people to visit taverns, watch preformers, have a brew and relieve their "stress" while chatting with other patrons/preformers. (remember, tip your entertainer :P)

Maybe have base emote dances everyone can use, and have a secondary entertainer profession/tradeskill that could do the above :)

I always loved the social community the cantinas in SWG provided, granted some people would just come, watch and go back to hunting, but a lot of people also chatted, got to know people and form friendships.

This post was edited by Rachael at May 12, 2016 1:55 AM PDT
    • 66 posts
    May 12, 2016 2:20 AM PDT

Rachael said:

I think it would be great if dancing was more than just an emote, something akin to the dancer profession in SWG, make it a skill that can be leveled up and have various dances and styles that you could preform. Even further maybe, tie it into some form of fatigue system where it promotes people to visit taverns, watch preformers, have a brew and relieve their "stress" while chatting with other patrons/preformers. (remember, tip your entertainer :P)

Maybe have base emote dances everyone can use, and have a secondary entertainer profession/tradeskill that could do the above :)

I always loved the social community the cantinas in SWG provided, granted some people would just come, watch and go back to hunting, but a lot of people also chatted, got to know people and form friendships.

kind of like the basic /dance for everyone and a dancer "profession/tradeskill" thing going. would it only be a for fun profession tho? or how would the dancer make money off of it? i know donations are a thing, but not everyone will donate

• 563 posts
    May 12, 2016 2:49 AM PDT

Furty said:

kind of like the basic /dance for everyone and a dancer "profession/tradeskill" thing going. would it only be a for fun profession tho? or how would the dancer make money off of it? i know donations are a thing, but not everyone will donate

I couldn't really say until we know more about how tradeskills worked, how many we can have and how they are catagorized/grouped. :P

I don't think it should take the place of a crafting or gathering tradeskill so I guess I do think it should be a for fun profession, but it would be neat if it was something you had to skill up, train, maybe do various quests to advance and get better at/learn different dances. Something that not everyone would necessarily choose to do but for the people that do enjoy the social aspect of being in the pub and chatting they could be providing a service while doing so (maybe even give some buffs from their preformance).

In SWG I did play a dancer/musician for a while and you may be suprised just how generous some people could be for a good sociable entertainer xP (I got some good tips but I knew others that were great fun to chat with and they would make a killing!)

This post was edited by Rachael at May 12, 2016 2:50 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    May 12, 2016 4:35 AM PDT

I think dancing, and all /emotes in general, should have some kind of achievement unlock to them.

If I recall correctly, in Lotro you could unlock special /emotes, dancing included, by having somebody do a particular emote directed at you personally. For example, if you were saluted 200+ times, you would learn the /swordsalute, which was always a pretty neat emote to do right before battle.

If done correctly, dancing and all emotes can be tasteful. I'd rather not sacrifice that just because there are a few d-bags out there who enjoy getting on people's nerves.

• 176 posts
    May 12, 2016 9:27 AM PDT

Rachael said:

You changed my mind. I think this sounds pretty cool. 

• 1778 posts
    May 12, 2016 10:38 AM PDT

I think Noobie had some good ideas of incorporating Bard as more of an overall performance based class to include things like dancing. So refering to the Bard thread could be relevant for this discussion. Of course there is nothing wrong with it being a seperate class. I personally liked FFXIs Dancer, which was a front line healer/buffer that used daggers to buld TP (stamina) as a resource for its abilities (no mana). Didnt do major dps and was thematically very colorful and flamboyant like a Flamenco Dancer. Not for everyone for sure, ran across a few folks that found it too feminine.

• 21 posts
    May 12, 2016 11:13 AM PDT

I like emotes and /dance emotes can be really cool if it fits the world and characters or really bad (IMO) when it breaks immersion.

I also like dancer as a class in Final Fantasy games :D

I like in FFXIV Bard does a little dance kind of flourish when you use a special ability.

This post was edited by Yelta at May 12, 2016 11:13 AM PDT
    • 563 posts
    May 12, 2016 7:49 PM PDT

Amsai said:

I think Noobie had some good ideas of incorporating Bard as more of an overall performance based class to include things like dancing. So refering to the Bard thread could be relevant for this discussion. Of course there is nothing wrong with it being a seperate class. I personally liked FFXIs Dancer, which was a front line healer/buffer that used daggers to buld TP (stamina) as a resource for its abilities (no mana). Didnt do major dps and was thematically very colorful and flamboyant like a Flamenco Dancer. Not for everyone for sure, ran across a few folks that found it too feminine.

I would love to be a battle dancer! I was thinking of it as a tradeskill type of thing but if it could be incorporated into a battle ready class that would be awesome, dance in the pubs in downtime/lfg, dance on the battlefield buffing/support. In SWG it was always fun to dance with a cool weapon in hand :D

This post was edited by Rachael at May 12, 2016 8:05 PM PDT